New to Macros

Options
I'm new to the concept of macros. Does anyone have any info/advice to share? Macro counting vs. calories? Have you upgraded your MFP to personalize your macros? Do you like it?

I'm 5'6'' 195, weight loss and toning are my main objectives at this point.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is ideal, which ks roughly .6 to .8g per lb of body weight (most women tend to be ~100-120g). Fsta range based on preference as do carbs. Generally, i put fats around .35g per lb of lean body mass and the rest carbs. I do also aim for 30g+ of fiber as well. Essentially protein and fiber are the best for keeping you full.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is ideal, which ks roughly .6 to .8g per lb of body weight (most women tend to be ~100-120g). Fsta range based on preference as do carbs. Generally, i put fats around .35g per lb of lean body mass and the rest carbs. I do also aim for 30g+ of fiber as well. Essentially protein and fiber are the best for keeping you full.

This. And you can set MFP to get pretty close to this within a gram or two with the free version.
  • ChristaNorris
    ChristaNorris Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Would you recommend using MFP's upgraded account to track macros, or do you do it a different way? I used some calculators on IIFYM's website. Do you find them to be accurate?

I appreciate you taking time to respond!! : )
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It depends on if you want to pay the money. If you prefer to do it free we can help get your account set up. I just need to know how many calories you plan on eating, what your exercise plan is and what are you goals. Omce i have that i can help set up some initial figures for you.

Oh also, if you have any medical issues like pcos, hypothyroidism, etc. .. that is beneficial to know as it will affect the macros in some cases.
  • ChristaNorris
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

This. And you can set MFP to get pretty close to this within a gram or two with the free version.

I used some calculators on IIFYM's website. When I type in the BMR calories they give me, the grams aren't anywhere close. To use the free version, do I mess w/ my daily calories until the grams match IIFYM?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    One thing to note, this is all a bit trial and error. I would put you on a single calorie goal (no eating back exercise calories) and recommend a food scale. After a month, we can find your average maintenance.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I used some calculators on IIFYM's website. When I type in the BMR calories they give me, the grams aren't anywhere close. To use the free version, do I mess w/ my daily calories until the grams match IIFYM?

You would do a custom set up and modify your macro percentages to get near the grams on the website.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just listen to psulemon. He knows what's up.
  • ChristaNorris
    Options
    It depends on if you want to pay the money. If you prefer to do it free we can help get your account set up. I just need to know how many calories you plan on eating, what your exercise plan is and what are you goals. Omce i have that i can help set up some initial figures for you.

Oh also, if you have any medical issues like pcos, hypothyroidism, etc. .. that is beneficial to know as it will affect the macros in some cases.

I'm chasing three kids 5 and under, if the money will make it a bit simpler on me I'll call it my Christmas gift.

Right now my account is set up for losing 1.5lbs/ week with sedentary. I was working out an hour a day 5 days a week, but am working myself back from an injury. This is my first week without pain, so I've been doing some yoga videos. I fall into the I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm willing to take any advice and give it a try.

I don't have any medical conditions that I know of.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Based on yoga and your current stats, i would probaby put you at 1500 calories, 40% carbs, 30% fats and protein. Also, aim for 20g+ of fiber.

You can, if you prefer, increase fats and decrease carba but that is personal preference. Also, whilw you are injured, it may be beneficial to start with another 300 calories. I estimate your maintenance is around 2200 and the additional calories would aid in repair and recovery. Keep in mind that a calorie deficit is stress on the body. I tend to eat at maintenance when i am injury to maximize available resources for repair.

How does this compare to iifym?
  • ChristaNorris
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Based on yoga and your current stats, i would probaby put you at 1500 calories, 40% carbs, 30% fats and protein. Also, aim for 20g+ of fiber.

You can, if you prefer, increase fats and decrease carba but that is personal preference. Also, whilw you are injured, it may be beneficial to start with another 300 calories. I estimate your maintenance is around 2200 and the additional calories would aid in repair and recovery. Keep in mind that a calorie deficit is stress on the body. I tend to eat at maintenance when i am injury to maximize available resources for repair.

Copying & Pasting from IIFYM...
    Your BMR is: 1628 Calories/Day
    Your TDEE is: 1872 Calories/Day
    20% Intensity
    Carbs - 58.5g
    Protein - 156g
    Fat - 78g
    Fiber - 39-49g
  • psuLemon
    Options

Copying & Pasting from IIFYM...
    Your BMR is: 1628 Calories/Day
    Your TDEE is: 1872 Calories/Day
    20% Intensity
    Carbs - 58.5g
    Protein - 156g
    Fat - 78g
    Fiber - 39-49g

Close. I would say protein is high on their behalf. Studies haven't shown any benefit exceeding 1g per lb of lean body mass (all things not fat). And since you are a woman, the chance of being 20% bf is low.

And fats and carbs are interchangeable. Some people do better on fats, some better on carbs. I perform much better on carbs, especially veggies and starches. Your own experiences will have to drive the decision.

You could always start with my method and lower carbs if you dont like the results or dont feel full often.
  • ChristaNorris
    Options
    I changed my goals to the 1500 40/30/30 and am ready to hit the ground running in the morning!! Thank you soooo much!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I changed my goals to the 1500 40/30/30 and am ready to hit the ground running in the morning!! Thank you soooo much!

Great. If you have more questions please feel free to pm me or post here.

Things that can help keep you full, veggies, fruits (especially berries as you can eat more since they are lower in sugar, egg white, potatoes, lean meats, darker fishes and things like tuna in a can).
  • ChristaNorris
    Options

Great. If you have more questions please feel free to pm me or post here.

Things that can help keep you full, veggies, fruits (especially berries as you can eat more since they are lower in sugar, egg white, potatoes, lean meats, darker fishes and things like tuna in a can).

I was completely with ya until we hit fish. -gag- ; )