having a really tough time :/

Options
So Christmas is coming up, and my husband has been out of work for over two years now. I am the only one that is bringing in money, and my job is paying me what a BRAND NEW employee is making after being there for four years (I'm a pharmacy tech at cvs making $10.85 a damn hour, pathetic) OH AND I'M WORKING EVERY SINGLE DAY, except fridays for now.. I want to leave, but we need the money. We threatened to get evicted last week. I didn't have gas in the car to go to the gym, nor have the energy to exercise at all. My classes are about to end, so my final essays are due, which have to be 7-10 pages each. OH and I gained weight during the freaking holidays. I'm seriously about to give up, I was doing so well and now I'm off track. I'm eating chocolate because I'm stressed out and it makes me happy. I'm still eating within my goal, but of course its not as healthy. My scale says I gained five pounds in a week. Everything I lost, I gained back. I feel fat and humongous, and my face is breaking out on top of everything else. Can someone just shoot me now? UGH!

Sorry for ranting, I had to get it out somewhere

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Everything feels tough at the end of the semester. You will get your work completed and get more focused on the weight loss goals soon. If you are eating at your deficit number, you are doing fine --- no need to stress about how "healthy" the food choices are for now. <3
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Harness that frustration and focus it towards your career and long term weight loss goals. Life can throw you plenty of curve balls... just get used to catching them anyway. As for the weight, you're young and have the rest of your life to get down to where you want to be.
  • contentaconme
    contentaconme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am sorry about all the difficult situations you and your family are going through. School and finals week is stressful, living on one income in surely stressful. Just know you are human and and exercise and eating right is hard to do when lifes going great and when life is handing us lemons so as jenny Craig says we are perfectly imperfect. We you are dealing as best you can. You are strong and you and your family are together that's very nice and a blessing. keep fighting and pushing on girl to stay on course with school and once you get that nursing degree you can live comfortably but for now the tech job is helping.as for eating i say just don't have it in the house so its not tempting. I always think of the saying this too shall pass. Wish you lots of blessings for you and your family.
  • vinsmomma26
    vinsmomma26 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Everything feels tough at the end of the semester. You will get your work completed and get more focused on the weight loss goals soon. If you are eating at your deficit number, you are doing fine --- no need to stress about how "healthy" the food choices are for now. <3

I got one of my essays finished today, I just have to edit now. It's still stressful, especially since I stopped taking my anxiety medicine, because it was making me gain all the weight. I feel useless now, because I did so well at the beginning of the month, and then everything piled on me at once. I appreciate your support, very sweet of you. Thanks so much <3
  • vinsmomma26
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Harness that frustration and focus it towards your career and long term weight loss goals. Life can throw you plenty of curve balls... just get used to catching them anyway. As for the weight, you're young and have the rest of your life to get down to where you want to be.

I know I'm young, but I still want to look good, and be healthy for my family. I don't have any health issues or anything, but my mom does, which is why I want to start early. Life is so difficult, I just turned 23 three days ago and I've never been more depressed than I am now in my entire life. Thanks for your advice :)
  • vinsmomma26
    Options
    Hi,
    I am sorry about all the difficult situations you and your family are going through. School and finals week is stressful, living on one income in surely stressful. Just know you are human and and exercise and eating right is hard to do when lifes going great and when life is handing us lemons so as jenny Craig says we are perfectly imperfect. We you are dealing as best you can. You are strong and you and your family are together that's very nice and a blessing. keep fighting and pushing on girl to stay on course with school and once you get that nursing degree you can live comfortably but for now the tech job is helping.as for eating i say just don't have it in the house so its not tempting. I always think of the saying this too shall pass. Wish you lots of blessings for you and your family.

I usually don't have a problem writing essays, but since there is SO much on my mind, I don't even know where to start. Luckily, I finished the one essay today, now I just have to edit. As for exercising, I was going every other day, and seeing major changes in my body. As soon as Thanksgiving hit, I stopped because that's when everything started. I went to the gym yesterday, but I wanted to cry the entire time. I feel helpless,and useless. I'm so tired from everything, so I'm barely spending time with my four year old son. He wants to hang out with me, and I'm just too damn busy. I can't wait until I get my rn. I am super stoked! I still have two years to go, but I am halfway there :) Thank so much for the advice and support, I really appreciate your kind words. That's what I needed to hear !
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's still stressful, especially since I stopped taking my anxiety medicine, because it was making me gain all the weight.

I'm not a doctor, but please reconsider going back on your anxiety meds, at least until finals are over. It's not that long, and it sounds like you can use some relief. Do the best you can with eating, and incorporate your comfort foods into your eating plan the best you can. You'll never get this time with your son back again. For both your sakes, please try to find some time to hang out with him. In fact, he's at a great age to start learning how to cook and how to exercise - it'll be fun for both of you. I bet he's great at tearing up lettuce for a salad! I bet he'd love to do a few minutes of an exercise video with you, or silly dancing.

• vinsmomma26
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    It's still stressful, especially since I stopped taking my anxiety medicine, because it was making me gain all the weight.

I'm not a doctor, but please reconsider going back on your anxiety meds, at least until finals are over. It's not that long, and it sounds like you can use some relief. Do the best you can with eating, and incorporate your comfort foods into your eating plan the best you can. You'll never get this time with your son back again. For both your sakes, please try to find some time to hang out with him. In fact, he's at a great age to start learning how to cook and how to exercise - it'll be fun for both of you. I bet he's great at tearing up lettuce for a salad! I bet he'd love to do a few minutes of an exercise video with you, or silly dancing.

I have reconsidered, but I'm not sure yet. I am trying my best, but it's so hard for me to say no right now lol Don't get me wrong, I do spend time with my son, just not as much as I want too. He loves to help me cook and clean, and even exercise. I just have no motivation to exercise at all. Two weeks ago I was working my butt off at the gym, now I couldn't even finish my hour on the elliptical because I was so tired. My son doesn't like my exercise video because it "goes too fast" haha he's so funny! Thanks for your advice, I think I may start another medication to help me for now. I just have tried so many, and each one did something to my body. The most recent one that made me gain a *kitten* ton of weight was prozac. I'm too scared to try anything else because I don't want to gain another 10+ pounds
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that time with family is just a great stress reliever that it's vital. If your energy is low for the gym and the exercise video too fast for you son, take him on a long walk where you have time to talk and appreciate each other. Not only will you get some exercise for both of you, but family time, and stress relief, all rolled into one.

Stress can kill you if you let it. At times if it gets too bad you have to make decisions on where to get rid of stress, and sometimes those are hard decisions. But it's much better than having health problems in the long run. Been there, done that.
  • MOMfit4life
    MOMfit4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my life about a decade ago. My hubby lost job; I went back to school full time (RN to BSN) with youngest still at home as well.

So as a nurse, can I gently mentor you?
    First, YOU are doing amazing. Remember that. You've got this. Two years will fly by! Your son will be so proud of you in a few years.

Second, support system. You need one. We all do. If don't have family or friends close by, reach out to church, nursing advisor, someone you trust. It's ok to ask for help, and to accept help.

Third, all things considered, need your meds. Very important. May need to chat with provider to get RX tweaked. Too much at stake to stop meds.

Forth, take time for yourself, exercise crucial & helps combat the stress. Forgive yourself for holiday gain, make a plan, & follow it. One day at a time, one meal at a time. When serious with journal & stay within calorie intake & healthy loss goals-- anxiety meds shouldn't be a concern. Speaking from experience. When I log every bite, it's amazing how much healthier my snack & meal choices become. Don't cheat on sleep or water intake. Major issue with weight gain, need good sleep & 8 glasses H20.

YOU'VE GOT THIS. YOU ARE IN CONTROL, YOU ARE WORTH IT!

XO :)
  • beaniebergh
    beaniebergh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hang in there sweetheart. You have a lot on the go with school, family etc. Breathe.....be as kind to yourself as the lovely people who have sent supportive posts. Think about how fabulous it will be to pay that forward being happy, healthy and successful and mentoring others whom are struggling. You can do it girl!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    So Christmas is coming up, and my husband has been out of work for over two years now. I am the only one that is bringing in money, and my job is paying me what a BRAND NEW employee is making after being there for four years (I'm a pharmacy tech at cvs making $10.85 a damn hour, pathetic) OH AND I'M WORKING EVERY SINGLE DAY, except fridays for now.. I want to leave, but we need the money. We threatened to get evicted last week. I didn't have gas in the car to go to the gym, nor have the energy to exercise at all. My classes are about to end, so my final essays are due, which have to be 7-10 pages each. OH and I gained weight during the freaking holidays. I'm seriously about to give up, I was doing so well and now I'm off track. I'm eating chocolate because I'm stressed out and it makes me happy. I'm still eating within my goal, but of course its not as healthy. My scale says I gained five pounds in a week. Everything I lost, I gained back. I feel fat and humongous, and my face is breaking out on top of everything else. Can someone just shoot me now? UGH!

Sorry for ranting, I had to get it out somewhere

If you're eating within your goal and not eating 2500 calories over maintenance per day, you didn't gain five pounds of fat in a week. You probably gained no fat in that week - my guess is that you are retaining fluid because of all the stress you're under.
  • joxxx2014
    joxxx2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel you! My husband is waiting for an op and i work 2 jobs and am at college to support us and our two kids. Had a really tough week due to personal situations but managed to stick to my calorie intake and over this week i have lost....NOTHING!!!!!! So annoyed cos it took so much control to stay away from food to comfort me. :(
    So please know that you are not alone. Wishing you happier times! Something awesome will come your way im sure :)
  • joxxx2014
    joxxx2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ps my face i also not pretty atm!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You women rock. I can't imagine supporting a child and spouse and going to school. When I was young I had enough trouble supporting myself. Hold your heads up high.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I have reconsidered, but I'm not sure yet. I am trying my best, but it's so hard for me to say no right now lol Don't get me wrong, I do spend time with my son, just not as much as I want too. He loves to help me cook and clean, and even exercise. I just have no motivation to exercise at all. Two weeks ago I was working my butt off at the gym, now I couldn't even finish my hour on the elliptical because I was so tired. My son doesn't like my exercise video because it "goes too fast" haha he's so funny! Thanks for your advice, I think I may start another medication to help me for now. I just have tried so many, and each one did something to my body. The most recent one that made me gain a *kitten* ton of weight was prozac. I'm too scared to try anything else because I don't want to gain another 10+ pounds

An hour on the elliptical!? Even the thought of that wears me out. I used the elliptical for the first time today, and O.M.G. The first go was just to see what all the settings were about, and I lasted 3 minutes. Then I did it "for real" (ha!) and struggled to get to my goal of 5 minutes at the lowest resistance.

Try not to beat yourself up too much. Things will ease up soon (not soon enough, I know!).

2f9datctp2uk.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Two years???

He couldn't even score a temp job in fast food until he lands something more permanent/meaningful?

I don't understand.
  • vinsmomma26
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Two years???

He couldn't even score a temp job in fast food until he lands something more permanent/meaningful?

I don't understand.

long story..he got hurt and was not allowed to work at all, workers comp denied him and all this other crap, he finally got surgery and was cleared to go back a couple months ago, but they have nothing right now..hes working with my brother in law when he needs him, but no one is hiring around here, tried everything!
    were waiting on a settlement, everything is finished, now they're deciding how much hes getting..should be any day now!
  • vinsmomma26
    Options

An hour on the elliptical!? Even the thought of that wears me out. I used the elliptical for the first time today, and O.M.G. The first go was just to see what all the settings were about, and I lasted 3 minutes. Then I did it "for real" (ha!) and struggled to get to my goal of 5 minutes at the lowest resistance.

Try not to beat yourself up too much. Things will ease up soon (not soon enough, I know!).

2f9datctp2uk.jpg

thanks so much for your support..yeah I kicked the ellipticals *kitten*,I would do a full circuit every other day :) right now ive stopped everything because way too much is going on ..good thing is im going to get my meds straightened out :) I was on my way to a nervous breakdown last night, and this diet and logging was adding to it . .so my new years resolution is going to be to try this again :)
  • vinsmomma26
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    You women rock. I can't imagine supporting a child and spouse and going to school. When I was young I had enough trouble supporting myself. Hold your heads up high.

it's hard work, but you have to do whats right for yourself and your family! what ive been through this year, I dont wish on my worst enemy..I almost lost my marriage and my home, it has been one hell of a ride and I just turned 23 lol I just keep pushing myself everyday..thanks for your support