Will my calves decrease with weight loss?

Options
I was once told by a trainer that whatever size calves you have now will be the calves you have forever. I have a hard time believing that since my calves are only this big because of my weight gain. So it seems it would make sense that they would get smaller with weight loss. Or maybe once the weight is in that particular area it stays there?!?!

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I hope my calves get smaller. I used to be able to wear boots but I can't anymore since gaining so much weight. I had hopes that my calves will get smaller as the weight goes down more!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If your calf size went up when you gained weight it's likely fat and it'll come off eventually when you lose weight.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Everyone is built differently and gains and loses in different places, but calves can absolutely get bigger or smaller with weight changes. If you gained weight in your calves before, I would imagine you will lose weight there as well.

I also think my calves were more muscular when I was substantially heavier, because they had to work harder to carry more body weight around.
  • strawberrythots247
    Options
    I believe they decrease, especially if they are not "all muscle". I say so because, from personal experience, I have a pair of riding boots that became easier to zip up after losing just 8lbs and become freer the more weight loss I had. I wonder if this is unique to my situation,
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Mine dropped 2 inches ..over about 50lbs with progressive resistance training

I know this because I buy tailored boots
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Flex your calves and feel if you can grab excess fat. If you can then your calves will get smaller as you drop fat. Our bodies typically lose fat all over gradually as we lose weight but depending on some genetics and hormones and all that some parts of the body tend to be the last to go.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Mine did. Before I lost weight, it seemed as they were muscle and not fat (as I was unable to grab anything when flexing them), but they have certainly gotten smaller since I can now buy high boots, which I was never able to do before. (My feet also got smaller...)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Not by a huge amount unless you have an enormous amount of weight to lose.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I speak from experience, I have Lincoln log legs lol. They may tone up more, but you will not see a significant drop in size.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Mine have gotten smaller even when I didn't think I had a lot of fat on them. They will shrink very slowly so don't give up hope if it doesn't happen right away.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Mine got smaller but barely for much of my weight.
    I think I had 18.5" calves at 285, ~18" at 210, and ~17.5 now at 180. Those are all flexed measurements.
    Calves can definitely carry and lose fat, but for some people it isn't going to be as much of a drop as other body parts, particularly if you strength train while losing to retain mass.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My calves shrunk when I lost weight. I used to have to get wide calf boots and now I can wear regular fit with no issues.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I agree, if they got larger when you gained weight, they should get smaller as you lose. How much smaller depends on how much you have to lose. I've always had relatively large calves at any weight, but I've lost a few inches from them as I've lost 120 pounds over 18 months.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have big calves, despite being a small person (5'1.5" and around 120 lbs.) They actually got bigger the more I worked out and are quite hard, but my waist, hips, and upper arms got smaller. I won't do calf raises because I don't want my calves to get any bigger. Boots are beginning to be a bit of a struggle for me.
  • bonekicker
    bonekicker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My right calf is 1 cm smaller than the left one. It always has been. Does anyone else have this issue? It's been bugging me for ages. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Calves are mostly genetic, however weight gain over a period of time MAY have increased muscle in the calves to support the extra weight. If you ever seen obese people with big calves lose weight, the majority of the time their calves are still big because it's much harder to lose muscle, especially in the calves because of their muscle density.
    It will differ from person to person, but most people won't lose too much size unless they have quite a bit to lose and even then, it may not seem like much due to proportion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have big calves, normally, and they did get bigger with a recent weight gain, but not much. I have to buy the plus sized boots, even though I don't fit into any of the plus sized clothes where I got them. They may go back down, maybe 2 inches or so, but I am not holding my breath.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Mine are an inch smaller now, after about a 16lb loss... they seem to have room for another couple of inches to go!
  • bigblueeyes1
    bigblueeyes1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I guess it's looking like it'll be a waiting game to see what happens. To get to a healthy BMI range I need to lose 75 lbs. They really got big since my weight gain. Let's hope its fat and not muscle.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I haven't really noticed a loss, but mine are very dense muscle since they had to carry my 300lb+ body.

Makes renting ski boots suck, as they never have boots that fit well.