Reduce Sodium Intake?

Options
Hello MFP! I've been trying this site out for a few days now, keeping track of all that I eat. Recently, I've noticed that my sodium intake has been going over my daily limit. What are some foods that I can avoid/ways that I can reduce my intake? Replies would be much appreciated!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You're young. If you are healthy, you might not need to be watching the sodium.
    If you do want to decrease your sodium, cook at home/
    Buy some pork chops, chicken thighs, or small steak and serve with lots of broccoli and a small sweet potato on the side.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Zoe, if you're going to ask for specific help, we need to see your food diary!

That said there's some general guidelines to keeping your food around the CDC recommended 2300 mg/day. It's not a bad recommendation at all, it certainly doesn't hurt anyone (unless they're sweating a TON, in which case you actually need more).

My mom has kidney failure, so we track salt pretty carefully in our household. My dad was able to go off his high blood pressure medication after 20 years on it when he switched to a reasonable salt intake, and that was a pretty dramatic change!

(1) Avoid processed foods. This goes QUADRUPLE for soups & meats. They put so much salt in soups, meats & sauces its not even remotely funny.

(2) Buy fresh or frozen vegetables. They have no sodium. If your budget has you on canned veggies, look for the "no sodium added" ones.

(3) Use just a smidgen or pinch of kosher salt to season food after its cooked. Kosher salt tends to have a high flavor intensity profile due to the larger grains, and it really doesn't take much. A "smidgen" is a precise measurement, by the way.

smidgen: 1/32 teaspoon (0.18g)
    pinch: 1/16 teaspoon (0.36g)
    dash: 1/8 teaspoon (0.72g)

Good luck getting a scale that reads that accurately. It ain't going to happen. Best way to get a sense of this is to take a teaspoon of salt (level, measured) in your hand. Re-measure into half, quarter teaspoons. If you have an eighth teaspoon spoon, go for that. Get a feel for how much that is in your hand. Put it on a cutting board ,and divide into half. Feel that in your hand. Get an idea how much space it takes up, what it feels like. Divide again in half. Repeat. Now you know what a smidgen, pinch & dash are.

(4) Keep cheeses to a minimum. Cheeses are great. My sister eats half her calories in cheese, I think. But They'll kill you on salt every time. So watch that.

(5) Change your tracked nutrients on MFP to include sodium. Pay attention to high-sodium foods in your normal diet. I'm talking things with 500 mg sodium or more PER SERVING. No, not a sandwich including all the vegetables (i.e. sub sandwich) that constitutes 1/3 your daily calories, you don't worry about that. Worry about the 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce with 960 mg.

(6) Be honest & consistent.

(7) AVOID PROCESSED FOODS ESPECIALLY MEATS AND SOUPS!!!!! (it bears repeating).

Good luck!
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ^^Last point can't be stated enough! Although i do still eat processed foods, just I have to watch out for foods I can't control the portions on too well. If you buy canned beans, rinse 'em! I do that with my black beans. I watch my sodium now even though I'm young because I don't want to get lax and end up having no choice but to later on.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So I cook most of my own food, and eat out at most once a week, and I am usually low on my sodium. I never buy anything canned except tuna and coconut milk, and I use natural meats.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Another thought. If you do go over on your sodium, since it can happen--restaurant meals, a few chips, sandwich meats, etc.. , Drink alot of water to flush out the sodium.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reduce all processed foods - eat whole foods instead!