Are we brave enough to face veggies?

Options
Anyone else want to work up the courage to try to eat healthier?
It's time for me to develop my palate like so many people here on MFP have. Who's in?

Replies

• cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've been trying! I've definitely improved in the past few years, but there are still lots of veggies out there that I would love to actually like to eat.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey! I love eating clean, and have heaps of recipes and websites to recommend :)

Have you got any veggies in particular you want to tackle?
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't checked to replies to my posts. Excuse the delay.
    Raw veggies. I just don't like cold and crunchy things. Yet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Vegetables are awesome, nutrient dense, foods that grown ups eat.

Find a way to eat like an adult that works for you. Make a goal to have at least one (which is better than none) vegetable a day. Then try them. Try them prepared different ways. Ask friends to cook their favorite for you. Ask friends for recipes.

DON'T over cook them. American schools (at least) have ruined vegetables for many adults. As have frozen convenience foods.

When you eat out, swap the potatoes for green vegetables and make yourself a deal about dessert or a second cocktail if you eat your vegetables

Remember that your grandmother or great grandmother would have been living on vegetables, meats, and dairy with some grains (depending on where she lived) and that that was considered "food".

Vegetables ROCK!

Vegetables are NOW my favorite part of meals.

I just got done traveling for work, so ALL meals were out
    Here's saturday:
    Breakfast: a crepe with spinach, mushrooms and cheese
    Lunch: a huge vegetable salad, with salmon on top, and some edamame as an appetizer
    Last night I had a caesar salad, some mussels and a side of asparagus. The asparagus was amazing. Oh, and two chardonnays.

I was raised on: heavily processed crap (fast food, convenience foods etc.). If there were vegetables, they were mushy canned things.
    It took me until my 30s to figure things out. SO GLAD I DID. I'm 50 now and have been at a healthy BMI since I did.
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the empathy. It's good to know i'm not alone. Love every bit of feedback!
  • Mnaminal
    Mnaminal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Back when I started getting my diet in order, roasted zucchini and yellow squash were my "gateway" veg. They were cheap, easy to prepare, versatile, and tasty. Sauteed red peppers was another go-to when they are in season. Then I expanded to other roasted vegetables, like green beans, cauliflower, and broccoli (though now I like it steamed). My husband had me try Brussels sprouts for the first time while we were dating, now those are a household staple, as are other cabbage dishes. What I found is that over time, I could dial back the seasoning and just enjoy the taste of the vegetable. Ultimately I came to like salads, but I'm still not a huge fan of crudite. Like everyone else has said, you just have to keep trying new things prepared new ways.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I just went to the store and brought a ton of healthy food I'm so excited!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh it's easy... cut up veggies, cook, add bacon. Here's a great recipe if squash and brussels sprouts are new to you
    http://www.canadianliving.com/food/roasted_squash_and_brussels_sprouts_with_bacon.php

Spaghetti squash is easy, you can eat it like spaghetti w/ sauce, meatballs, cheese, mushrooms (sometimes I also add green/red peppers and onions).

You can make lasagna with zucchini noodles instead of pasta noodles. AWESOME.

A simple bag of mixed frozen veggies like cauliflower/broccoli can be cooked up with an onion and a red pepper, then add some creamed coconut and a can of pineapple tidbits... (add ham to that if you want... and I always put hot pepper rings in, too.)

Cabbage + onion + bacon served w/ a little sour cream and cheddar cheese... omnom

Google recipes for "cheeseburger cauliflower" or even cauliflower crust pizza...

Happy vegging :)
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh and when our garden was overflowing with yellow wax beans, I cut them up and made like a "mac and cheese" with the beans instead of noodles... that was amazing.