Excercise helped at first--now it's not working at all

Options
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I've been used the App for awhile. I could use a little feedback and my situation. About me, I'm a 32/f, work out a lot. I started working out seriously last March (2014) doing a combo of pilates and 30 min of spinning twice a week, then 45 min of spin twice a week. My diet didn't really change, I'm not good at restricting things, so I just tried to keep it about 1300/day while avoiding sugar and focused and protein. It took about 6 months before I started changing, and I lost A LOT of weight in spite of only calorie counting and not undertaking a serious diet. I felt I had lost too much weight, but didn't complain because I had finally hit my goal measurements of 34-23-34 (I measure thighs too, but I'll leave that part out so I don't look super weird :P) At 5' 9", to get those measurements I was STOKED.

I kept working out, calorie intake remained the same, then around feb of 2015 weight started creeping back on. I didn't mind, I know muscle is denser than fat and as you build muscle the scale goes up, but the measurements go down, clothes fit better, etc. My body fat was still holding at 16% . I figured I plateaued and needed to switch up my fitness classes, so I started doing more spin, more bootcamp classes (Weights/kettlebells/etc.) to try and get more muscle definition.

Flash forward to now. I haven't changed my calorie intake, I workout like I'm getting paid for it and my body fat shot up 4% (now hovering at 19%) my measurements went up 3 inches all over and i gained about 20 pounds. I kept with it since everyone advice was to keep training, keep doing what you're doing, you'll start to lean out. Well, this whole process has been nearly 2 years and I'm starting to have serious doubt that will ever happen. As far as water retention and inflammation goes, I think we're past that point (I also take Aldactone which prevents alot of water retention)

So I guess what I'm asking is, why did this work for me last year so well, and now it seems to be literally working against me. I've had a doctor check for anemia and hypothyroidism and have had all tests come back normal. No medication additions or changes in the last year.

If I'm honest, I'm thinking about quitting. When I think of the time and effort and sweat I put into this year to only have my measurements shoot up is incredibly frustrating.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what might be going on here?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your calorie counting? Do you use a food scale? How do you calculate your calorie burns?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Well you definitely didn't gain 20 lbs of muscle, so you must be eating more than you think you are.
    If you are being honest, and you are doing the same thing as before, something weird is going on. Wish I could give you better advice but it just seems inexplicable that you are working hard and gaining weight while eating at deficit. Most people can achieve weight loss without tons of cardio, so you are gaining calories somehow. Diet is the obvious choice, but only you would know for sure if you are consuming 1300 or not.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than 1300 calories per day. And you should be. At 5'9" with (supposed) 16-19% bf, 1300 calories is crazy low.
  • db8483
    db8483 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    queenliz99--I use an iwatch to calculate my burns when doing cardio. I don't have a food scale.
  • db8483
    Options
    jemmhh-I guess I must be somehow and not paying attention? Seems unlikely, but I'll try to be more attentive. I'm trying to workout on a calorie deficit, plus I have an EXTREEEEEMELY sedentary job, I'm literally attached to my desk for 8-10 hours a day so I don't get much movement in to make up for calories.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You should be able to eat more than 1300 calories unless you have very low lean mass. 16-19% is very lean for a female.
    15-percent-body-fat-female1.jpg
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine - I lose weight (slowly) if even if I don't exercise at 1300 cals and I'm 5'3", been as low as 116 lbs. I have a desk job. I'm over 40.

If I were you, first thing I'd do is get a scale and make sure I'm eating what I think I am.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    How did you get those BF measurements? For a woman, 15% is freakin' skinny unless you're rocking some serious muscle mass (which a combo of pilates / spinning and calorie deficit is not going to give you). My take on it: you weren't doing anything for muscle sparing and lost a crap-ton of muscle. After that, you let your calories slip upward (thankfully), starting doing workouts that would build muscle, and began a bulk. That all seems to be for the good -- 19% BF (which, until proven otherwise, I consider suspect) is a lot healthier and sustainable BF % than 15%.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Too many calories? or likely Not enough calories? So your metabolism changed. The body is super adaptable to necessity. Hormonal change or stress are the only other off the wall things I've experienced for weight gain
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    How did you get those BF measurements? For a woman, 15% is freakin' skinny unless you're rocking some serious muscle mass (which a combo of pilates / spinning and calorie deficit is not going to give you). My take on it: you weren't doing anything for muscle sparing and lost a crap-ton of muscle. After that, you let your calories slip upward (thankfully), starting doing workouts that would build muscle, and began a bulk. That all seems to be for the good -- 19% BF (which, until proven otherwise, I consider suspect) is a lot healthier and sustainable BF % than 15%.

Academically (since I don't know how accurate OP's measurements are), BF% is not directly related to muscle mass. You can have low muscle mass and low BF%, or high muscle mass and high BF%.

Also, OP mentioned that scale weight went up 20lb. No way you can increase BF% by 4%, gain 20lb and lose "a crap ton of muscle". The numbers just do not work.

Most likely, OP has been underestimating intake and overestimating output. That is really the only explanation, unless reported body measurements are not accurate.

• db8483
    Options

Hi there, Are you asking how I got those numbers ? I got my BF % by using an Omron fat monitor. If those aren't reliable, let me know.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    db8483 wrote: »

Hi there, Are you asking how I got those numbers ? I got my BF % by using an Omron fat monitor. If those aren't reliable, let me know.

Definetly not reliable!!
    The values change based on time of day, amount of hydration, etc.

Only reliable ways are to get a scan or the one you go in a water tank and they measure it.
  • db8483
    Options
    I do notice it changes during the course of the day, but it's what trainers at gyms use, and it's more accessible than those other methods.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jemmhh-I guess I must be somehow and not paying attention? Seems unlikely, but I'll try to be more attentive. I'm trying to workout on a calorie deficit, plus I have an EXTREEEEEMELY sedentary job, I'm literally attached to my desk for 8-10 hours a day so I don't get much movement in to make up for calories.

Your sedentary job status is irrelevant. There's no way a 5'9" 32 yo physically active woman gains weight on 1300 calories per day. Especially not 20 lbs since February. That would mean you've been eating in a caloric surplus of 231 calories on average:

20 x 3500 cals = 70,000 cals
    365 days in a year - 31 days in Jan -31 days in Dec = 303 days
    70,000 cals / 303 days = 231 cals/day

That would mean that your maintenance calories at the beginning of this were 1069. Even as light as you had to have been to have a 23" waist at your height, it's not likely. You're eating more than you think and if your measurements were actually 34-23-34 I think it's a good thing as that is extremely thin and I question how healthy it was.(My upper thigh is 22", just as a comparison.)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Its very difficult to "truly" count your calories and stay in a deficit without a food scale. Honestly, I thought I was pretty close with eyeballing and using the measurements on packages, but boy was I wrong!!! What you think is 1300, could very well be closer to 1900, easily! (The cappucino I'm drinking right now is over 400 calories, beverages are very surprising!) I picked up my food scale at Canadian Tire, but they have them everywhere...you can find a good digital at walmart for 15 bux...believe me, once you get the hang of weighing and see a true reflection of your numbers in and numbers out, you'll wonder why you waited so long! Im like you, I work from home, at a desk 10-12 hours a day, 360 days of the year....SO sedentary, they need an option for us!!
  • shawnarroyovega
    shawnarroyovega Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our body needs a new change.. A lot people don't like to discuss things such as a healthy liver and a serious healthy colon... When was the last time you had a detox?.. Even though we are all working out and eating all the right food but sometimes our body needs a detox from our liver and our colon.. These things play a major roll with our body response to what we are trying to accomplish
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our body needs a new change.. A lot people don't like to discuss things such as a healthy liver and a serious healthy colon... When was the last time you had a detox?.. Even though we are all working out and eating all the right food but sometimes our body needs a detox from our liver and our colon.. These things play a major roll with our body response to what we are trying to accomplish

What toxins are you getting rid of that your liver and kidneys do not get rid of on their own?

What specific method are you suggesting for OP?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    1_ You are not eating 1300 calories. Or you are eating your exercise calories back and overestimating burns a lot. You not eating 1300 calories is a good thing. At your height, and beign active, you would have ended up seriously ill by now if you were eating that low.
    2_ Bf% are not accurate, so you can just ignore them.
    3_ What is your current weight? Is your goal weight realistic? If you are trying e.g. to maintain a BMI of 15, failing is something to celebrate, it means you are doing things right.
    4_ What is the goal of your training? Unless you are a professional model and exercise t maintain a certain look is part of your job, you are not going to be able to maintain a demanding exercise routine on the long run with only a certain look as goal. You will get bored, tired and frustrated. Find something you like. Not something that burns a lot of calories or something that should help you lose weight. Find a sport or a training routine you are looking forward to, because you enjoy it. Make this the basis of your training. Or staying physically active on the long run, it will not work
  • db8483
    Options
    Allright, well thanks everybody for the input. :)
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you use MFP's exaggerated calorie burn data you can easily gain weight

If you don't use a food scale it is easy to underestimate calorie intake

Do both and it is trouble for sure