Calories in Indian meal

Options
I had an Indian takeaway, and am trying to figure out the calories. It was one serve of mild beef madras and steamed basmati rice with saffron. The rice weighed about 300g but I don't know the weight of the beef meal (it spilled while I was weighing it and I didn't get the number). I wrote down 600 calories for the beef madras, and 600 calories for the rice. I know steamed rice is less calories than that but I added more because of the saffron. So altogether I wrote the meal was 1200 calories.

Does anyone have a more accurate figure?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I follow the same process as you did. At least, you were able to weigh the rice. I usually estimate each component weight, get calories from the web and add an extra 10% " error range" . I would not count calories for saffron, it is a spice and calories would be negligible.

Overall, That is why I prefer to eat my own food. Sometimes it is not possible, hence the estimate and added extra calories for "errors".
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • mmghanna1
    mmghanna1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks. For some reason I thought saffron was fattening. I lowered the calories for the rice but still have a high calorie count for the meal, so hopefully it's enough.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    600 for the rice could be accurate depending on the portion. 1000-1200 is probably close.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would log it as 900 to 1,000 calories.

The amount of saffron in recipes for saffron rice I've looked at was very tiny and the calorie count for a tsp of saffron was about 2 calories. Most recipes used less than a tsp of that spice so I wouldn't be too concerned about the calories from saffron. http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/saffron?portionid=56630&portionamount=1.000
  • mmghanna1
    mmghanna1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I ended up logging it as 1000 calories. Thanks guys.