Zig-Zagging Calories & Exercise

Options
I am about to begin Week 2 of zig-zagging calories and will be adding exercise to my routine, however, I really don't know how I'm going to eat back those calories as I had a hard enough time eating the extra calories week 1. Did everyone who has zig-zagged exercise also... eat back or not eat back their calories... any input would be helpful!

Replies

• ewtx1000
    ewtx1000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump... I would love to hear opinions on this myself.
  • Alexa1471
    Alexa1471 Posts: 52
    Options
    Don't even know what zig-zagging is so am curious to find out!!!
  • tatesmom
    tatesmom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear the responses as well!! I am starting my 2nd week of zig-zagging as well!!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I wonder what's so hard. If you zigzag, and you wanna eat more calories, go to a Chilis or Outback or something. I'm sure you can find something to overeat out there.
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back the exercise calories b/c the calculations for my week total calories already takes into account that I workout 5 days a week. It already has a deficit including the exercise factored in.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    When I zig-zig, I don't eat back my exercise calories (and then the bunny gets it! :brokenheart: ). I think that you're supposed to though! It should be a zig-zag of NET calories. I would give it a try; I think I might.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether you zig zag your calories or not, you should be eating those exercise calories! The only number that will change from day to day is your net calories.
  • mitymex
    mitymex Posts: 10
    Options
    You can go ahead and eat more to compensate, just as long as you don't keep doing it because as your weight goes down so will the amount of calories you are allowed and the amount of calories you burn. I usually eat a little more if I exercise but try not to exceed more than 100 calories over my MFP calorie goal. So far it is working for me, right now I am averaging about 3lbs per week. Good Luck.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i don't zig zag exactly according to the "rules" because sometimes i can't plan out my calories, and i just have a high or low calorie day depending on how that day seems to be going. i don't exercise (or exercise as much) on my low calorie days, and i do more on my high calorie days. it usually works out for me cuz i get more hungry on exercise days anyway. when i know it's gonna be a high cal day and i'm feeling a little under calories, i have some raw unsalted cashews (170cal/ounce) or some sorbet (i like organic/all natural acai sorbet for150 calories) or i just add some chocolate protein in my coffee for an extra 100 calories.

the "zig zagging" has worked WONDERS for me, i went from a month long plateau, to losing 6lbs in 2 weeks, and i'm actually eating MORE than i was before :heart: (can't jinx it! knock on wood!)

good luck to you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I know many people are on both sides with this but with my experience I dont always eat my excercise calories back...however I do eat some of them. I've also zig zagged my calories when I think Ive hit a plateau to shake things up. I know this past weekend I went up higher but now Im going back down. I go anywhere from 1100 - 1400 but also jog, walk, and dance. I've lost plenty of weight from it but I upped my water intake from 8-10 glasses a day. I felt like it was gonna be too much but your body craves the water. I hope it helps you! Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I zig zag calories during some weeks (like this one). I always eat my exercise calories back because at the end of the week the deficit is just the same as it would be had I ate consistently every day.
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    I wonder what's so hard. If you zigzag, and you wanna eat more calories, go to a Chilis or Outback or something. I'm sure you can find something to overeat out there.

Well heck, I could order a Lou Malnatis pizza and blast away 1,000 calories in the blink of an eye but i think the purpose of all of this is to eat healthy foods. :tongue:
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    Regardless of whether you zig zag your calories or not, you should be eating those exercise calories! The only number that will change from day to day is your net calories.

I always do on "regular" MFP calorie days, however, I am really finding it tough to load up on the high calorie zig zag days and adding exercise makes that even more of a challenge. There's only so many almonds I can eat. lol
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

I always do on "regular" MFP calorie days, however, I am really finding it tough to load up on the high calorie zig zag days and adding exercise makes that even more of a challenge. There's only so many almonds I can eat. lol

How about some peanut butter? :) Or a bit of chocolate? Mm, I could eat my weight in peanut butter or chocolate. Lol!
  • crazywheaten
    Options

How about some peanut butter? :) Or a bit of chocolate? Mm, I could eat my weight in peanut butter or chocolate. Lol!

Oh would I looooove to load up on peanut butter!!! Unfortunately, I have T1 diabetes and that is one of the top foods that makes my blood sugar spike. Not fair. lol I have to say--fantastic job on your weight loss!!!
  • KristofferN
    Options
    Ok here is my attempt to explain the “zig zag” approach of losing weight…..(it does work very well if done correctly, I have lost 17 lbs of fat and gained 2 lbs of muscle doing it in almost 3 months time). There are a few ways to do the “Zig Zag” but I will stick with the one that I am using now. First find out what your daily maintenance calorie intake should be (this is the calorie level your body needs just to live off of and not to gain weight or loss weight). Once you know the maintenance level you need cut that number by about 300-400 calories. This is your “Low” zig zag amount, I use this amount on days I don’t workout. This forces your body to use fat to get its energy needs (don’t go too much less than 300-400 calorie drop, your body will start to slow down it’s metabolism rate and that is BAD). To get the “high” zig zag amount just add 300-400 calories to your maintenance level. I use this amounts on days I workout. Here is an example of a zig zag weekly schedule (without working out) Monday – LOW, Tuesday – LOW, Wednesday – HIGH, Thursday – LOW, Friday – LOW, Saturday – a 300 calorie higher HIGH (use this day to eat a cheat meal) Sunday – Maintenance level. Like I said there are many different ways and this is just one basic schedule. Hope it helped.
  • ewtx1000
    ewtx1000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't even know what zig-zagging is so am curious to find out!!!

Simple explanation is when your weekly total of calories equal the total for the week with a couple days higher consuming the extra calories saved on the low days. Ths makes the zigzag instead of the flat 1200 calorie line. Use your own daily calorie goal in the combination, and don't go below 1000 calories on a given day.