Help Torched

Options
I started the week at 276
I fasted day one and exercised (treadmill and weights)
< 1000 cals a day
< 20 carbs a day
> gal of ice water a day
Lost 14 lbs. Happy but torched struggled through workout. What LC food / supplements should I take to keep energy up ? Also feel like I could cramp up any second while running I'm sure because of all the water.

Goal: 250 by Christmas. Start Whole30 January. Maintenance weight of 225.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Very low calorie diets (VLCDs) should be medically supervised, so ask your doctor, or at least a registered dietician. :+1:
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yeaah... 1000k a day plus working out? I'd end up vomiting and then sleeping all day. To keep energy up I wouldn't take supplements, I'd add calories to a reasonable level to maintain this lifestyle of working out, so that you don't burn out and give up.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    To keep your energy up you need to EAT A REASONABLE QUANTITY OF FOOD.

Your goals are crazy unrealistic and you are going to really damage yourself undereating by this much while exercising.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You're a 48-year-old male eating less than 1000 calories plus trying to work out on top of that?

You're tired because your body needs fuel. If you're doing this on your own, you need to eat a bare minimum of 1500 calories, and, ideally more to fuel your workouts. Log your exercise & eat back 50% of those calories.

Eating so little runs the risk of your body destroying your muscles while it seeks energy - muscles including your heart.

If your doctor recommended this level of calories for you, contact their office for more advice. It's very difficult to get proper nutrition on so few calories, plus I doubt you should be working out.

~Lyssa
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Very low calorie diets (VLCDs) should be medically supervised, so ask your doctor, or at least a registered dietician. :+1:

This.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    To keep your energy up you need to EAT A REASONABLE QUANTITY OF FOOD.

Your goals are crazy unrealistic and you are going to really damage yourself undereating by this much while exercising.

Yep this x 1000
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Jujuu99 wrote: »
    I started the week at 276
    I fasted day one and exercised (treadmill and weights)
    < 1000 cals a day
    < 20 carbs a day
    > gal of ice water a day
    Lost 14 lbs. Happy but torched struggled through workout. What LC food / supplements should I take to keep energy up ? Also feel like I could cramp up any second while running I'm sure because of all the water.

Goal: 250 by Christmas. Start Whole30 January. Maintenance weight of 225.

What's the hurry? You didn't gain the weight in two months and shouldn't try to lose it so quickly. You're going to hurt yourself with this regimen.

My approach to weight loss is safely, sustainably, and sans suffering.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This thread could be closed or deleted.

It often happens when you discuss crazy low calorie diets.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless your physician has placed you on this diet, i suggest a mental evaluation.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? You need to eat more unless you are under a doctor's supervision.
  • Jujuu99
    Jujuu99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I didn't think 12 lbs in 20 days was lofty at this stage.. But you are probably right but I'm 2 lbs away from the 250's now so I hoped to get close to that. I didn't really count the first 10 lbs of thanksgiving binging so this week was a quick induction. I don't plan on maintaining this regimen. I know 48 yrs old and 260 lbs puts a grimm mental picture (Lyssa LOL!) but I am very active and just a big guy. I just didn't change my eating /exercise habits with my age lol. I ran a 8.5 min mile in April at 254 so I was happy with that but now I'm on that roller coaster. I think a better question would have been.....since carbo loading was the old way of having reserve energy (before the LC truth) what do you eat for on a LC diet for exercise. I also meant torched while working out. I feel great. Sleep great and not really hungry.
  • Jujuu99
    Jujuu99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    unless your physician has placed you on this diet, i suggest a mental evaluation.
    Wow that's harsh. My first time on this. Thought it was a place for encouragement and giving pointers. Apparently just a Facebook page.
    Waste of time
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Crash

And

Burn
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I didn't think 12 lbs in 20 days was lofty at this stage..

Yes, that's incredibly lofty. 2 lbs a week, or at most 1% of your body weight per week would be considered an 'aggressive' goal.
    I am very active and just a big guy.

All the more reason you NEED more calories.
    I think a better question would have been.....since carbo loading was the old way of having reserve energy (before the LC truth) what do you eat for on a LC diet for exercise.

At this point, you're majoring in the minors. You need to get your overall caloric intake figured out first before trying to nit-pick macro timing.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I didn't think 12 lbs in 20 days was lofty at this stage.. But you are probably right but I'm 2 lbs away from the 250's now so I hoped to get close to that. I didn't really count the first 10 lbs of thanksgiving binging so this week was a quick induction. I don't plan on maintaining this regimen. I know 48 yrs old and 260 lbs puts a grimm mental picture (Lyssa LOL!) but I am very active and just a big guy. I just didn't change my eating /exercise habits with my age lol. I ran a 8.5 min mile in April at 254 so I was happy with that but now I'm on that roller coaster. I think a better question would have been.....since carbo loading was the old way of having reserve energy (before the LC truth) what do you eat for on a LC diet for exercise. I also meant torched while working out. I feel great. Sleep great and not really hungry.

Everything in my post still applies.

Sure you feel great now, but in 3-4 months, your hair will start falling out, nails breaking, etc, and you'll feel all-around crummy.

Low Carb isn't the be-all and end-all for weightloss, either. You can eat whatever you want, as long as you account for the calories.

Re-evaluate your expectations. Eat more. Your workouts will be better.

~Lyssa
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you want to go low carb that's a matter of choice

But you should be eating around 2000 calories and hitting macro and micro goals to ensure health

Also working out without fuelling your body is going to seriously damage you from energy to LBM
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I didn't think 12 lbs in 20 days was lofty at this stage..

Yes, that's incredibly lofty. 2 lbs a week, or at most 1% of your body weight per week would be considered an 'aggressive' goal.
    I am very active and just a big guy.

All the more reason you NEED more calories.
    I think a better question would have been.....since carbo loading was the old way of having reserve energy (before the LC truth) what do you eat for on a LC diet for exercise.

At this point, you're majoring in the minors. You need to get your overall caloric intake figured out first before trying to nit-pick macro timing.

macgurlnet wrote: »

Everything in my post still applies.

Sure you feel great now, but in 3-4 months, your hair will start falling out, nails breaking, etc, and you'll feel all-around crummy.

Low Carb isn't the be-all and end-all for weightloss, either. You can eat whatever you want, as long as you account for the calories.

Re-evaluate your expectations. Eat more. Your workouts will be better.

~Lyssa
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If you want to go low carb that's a matter of choice

But you should be eating around 2000 calories and hitting macro and micro goals to ensure health

Also working out without fuelling your body is going to seriously damage you from energy to LBM

Agree with all of the above.