Breastfeeding and want to lose weight

Options
I had a baby two months ago but really need to start dropping some of the pounds I've gained from the last 3 babies. I am breastfeeding, and don't want that negatively affected. Any suggestions?

Replies

• KellyJacobs26
    KellyJacobs26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And does anyone know if fitness pal has a setting for this? You are typically allowed more calories and there may be different nutritional settings.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about how many calories you need to sustain the milk production and still lose some lbs.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @KellyJacobs26 My advice is just what worked for me. Set MFP to lose 1/2 lb a week. It's recommended that if you are exclusively breastfeeding that you need to eat an extra 500 calories. Under cardio exercise there is a listing for breastfeeding, 60 minutes of breastfeeding = 500 calories, that will increase the amount of food you can eat for the day.

If you notice a dip in your milk supply then increase your calories. Just an fyi, typically it's not recommended to eat below 1800 calories while breastfeeding, but that depends on your height and activity level.
  • HollyC111397
    HollyC111397 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I'm also breastfeeding a two month old and trying to find a way to safely lose the baby weight. Sorry i don't have any suggestions, but good luck!
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been at this two months now. My little guy is now 4 months. Make sure when you cut your calories you don't do it too quickly or drastically. That can cause a dip in your supply. I would recommend starting by taking what you eat for a few weeks then slowly cutting calories by about 100/day until you reach your goal as estimated by mfp. Don't at yourself to lose more than 1lb per week and know that breastfeeding women should not drop below 1500-1800 but most will need 1800-2000 calories minimum. It really is all trial and error while keeping a close eye on your supply. I'm sitting at 1800 calories and eating back my exercise calories. I tried 1500 but my supply went down. I'm losing about 1.5 lbs per week right now but I have a lot to lose.
  • kb1927
    kb1927 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I breastfed my last, I added in breastfeeding under food (it was two years ago, but I think there were different options for the age/frequency of baby nursing). I don't think I was eating enough however, because the weight melted off but my supply dipped every time I was more active. I'm 35 weeks pregnant now, and I will be careful to eat more this time because there is nothing like a starving breastfed baby up all night to derail my fitness plans the next day. Good luck!
  • HarperAnn6
    HarperAnn6 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm also nursing. I've read 1500 is the minimum calories for nursing. I haven't noticed a change in supply, but I have noticed my baby reacting differently to my milk. I attribute this to my healthier food choices. I guess I should have moved to better food choices more gradually!