Weight Loss and Depression

Options
I can't imagine I am the only one facing this daunting combo! Weight loss is difficult enough, but combine that with clinical depression- hard to get out of bed, no energy, no concentration- the struggle is real!

I live on the East coast, so its dark when I go to work and its often dark when I get home. Most days just getting through work is a challenge, let alone going to the gym or trying to eat right.

If you are a kindred spirit, I am here for you!

Replies

• Mjq2020
    Mjq2020 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm fighting through this right now. It's rough, especially now with it being the fall/winter season.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I've had clinical depression since I was a child; I'm now 41. It just complicates everything in your life. Even on good days, I feel like I'm swimming against the current. I'm also on the east coast (VA) and the time change has really messed me up too. These past few weeks have been very difficult.

I've been through the weight loss phase and am maintaining. I use exercise to supplement my medication and as long as I don't take long breaks, I am able to keep at it. Weight lifting has helped me tremendously as I can see and feel progress regularly and I feel like I'm succeeding at something. It's been the one consistent thing that I can hush the negative thoughts about and just enjoy.

So, nope, you're definitely not alone and while I wish it on nobody, I do feel better when I meet folks who share in the struggle.
  • mrsleman
    mrsleman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Me too. Plus I'm menapausal! Great being a woman eh?

I have constant aches and pains and too tired to walk the dog some days.

It's a vicious circle as I'm sure once I started seeing results and I started feeling better I there would be no stopping me.

Add me. We're all in this together. Good luck x
  • Katekate194
    Katekate194 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing as you. It sucks. I'm.trying to cope with it but idk how to.
  • turtlexiii
    turtlexiii Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 35, been clinically depressed since 15, and chronic daily migraines since 18. The meds I was given to treat both caused me to gain over 100 pounds. Currently I have about 130 pounds to lose. I've lost about 30 in the past, but give up on slow progress and stop. I need motivation to stick with it no matter what!
  • lilsara411
    lilsara411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same issues. I've been clinically depressed since I was 12 I'm now 33 I've been and am on so many medication for it and other health issues currently 10 to be exact and have gained a lot in the past year and a half since becoming disabled due to mental illness. I can't let it get the best of me anymore. Now since suffering a heart attack and having quadruple bypass 4 months ago I'm finally determined to stop the cycle. I live on the east coast too so I feel your pain there. Winter is coming and I'm not looking forward to the cold and darkness. But this year I plan to do things differently. I just started this week. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Me too. Dark before work and dark after. I barely have enough energy to walk to my car to drive home. The last thing I could do is go to a gym. No energy to cook so I resort to fast food. I am always behind at work because I can't focus so I don't take lunch break and I graze at my desk. It is a cycle. I am just trying really hard to do a tiny bit better every day with one thing or another.
    Thank you for sharing this post.
  • melmustloseweight2014
    Options
    Completely understand what you mean. ive had depression for years now and I makes losing weight much harder then it has to be. Add me if you'd life maybe we can try and help each other :smile:
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the lights for seasonal affect disorder and do they help you?
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    avatiach wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the lights for seasonal affect disorder and do they help you?

I just started using a verilux light in August. I did have to go up on my Prozac recently but I think I'd be a lot worse if I didn't have the light. I won't know for sure until I get through March.
  • jmbst137
    jmbst137 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So nice to know we aren't alone! How is everybody doing today?
  • lylollil23
    lylollil23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the very same
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Same, they're a crap combination!
    I have tried the light box therapy combined with a good vitamin D supplement and while I wouldn't call it a miracle cure, it definitely helped.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Been dealing with depression here, but in my case, the weight loss started before I was diagnosed. So for me, that's actually unrelated. I know a lot of people are helped by light boxes or exercise, I'm one of the few that isn't.
  • reignoftra
    reignoftra Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is totally how I feel. I have been struggling with depression for about 25 years and it sucks. With the help of medication, I can finally sleep again, have lost a little weight and it has helped to boost my confidence. I have created a page on Facebook where all are welcome to follow me on my journey through getting fit. I like accountability partners and love to support others. Feel free to join me! www.facebook.com/TracyLRudnickwellness
  • turtlexiii
    turtlexiii Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Been really struggling the last few weeks. Started a new job, in a new city, which is a great thing! However, I live in Chicago, which is the farthest north I have ever lived, so it gets dark so early. Add on that I have a hour commute each way by bus, and it's hard to find time to exercise. I can't walk for exercise due to back injuries, but I love to swim and bike. Hoping to get more settled in my apt this weekend so I can get back on track next week.!

Would love to find an accountability partner!
  • bustedsweetie
    bustedsweetie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have struggled with depression and anxiety for the past 15 odd years. Therapy has helped so much, but it took 2 years of going for things to finally sink in, that I had to make changes myself and stop hoping for things to suddenly get better! Exercise has helped. I feel a bit more confident, feel a sense of achievement, feel stronger, fitter, feel better about myself etc. Still have a long way to go. It took me so long to get motivated to do exercising. Now I exercise almost everyday and I feel unhappy if I don't lol.