140 calories for a slice of Great Value Bread??

Options
Great value bread says its 70 calories for a slice, but a slice is supposed to be 26 grams and when I weighed it, the scale said around 50 grams.
Are non digital scales as accurate as digital ones? If so, this means a slice of bread is 140 calories instead of 70. . . May never eat a sandwich again.

Replies

• kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I'm guessing your scale is off.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You could cut the slice in half. I do that sometimes when I want to save calories from bread, but want to have my bread and eat it too.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I just go with 70 per slice and don't weigh each slice. You're overthinking this.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I find non-digital are not as accurate, I recently switched to a digital and was surprised at how much easier it was to keep track of the actual weight of the food. I'm trying low carb at the moment so bread is restricted for me at e moment anyway but it may be worth trying another bread as some can be lower calorie/weight than others.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't weigh unless it's a loaf I've sliced by hand. Later when you're getting close to goal you might need to be that precise but I wouldn't bother if you're losing, just go with the average.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Do you have any light weights you can place on your scale to Guage it's accuracy? 1-2# dumbells or something?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What size are the slices? Most smaller loaves are around 70-80 calories a slice, but the bigger loaves (Arnold's etc) are around 140 calories a slice.

But yeah I'd get a digital scale.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I weigh sliced bread only if the scale is out and on, and then only to confirm that the package statements are close. They usually are.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Do the nutrition stats say 70 calories per slice or per ounce? The bread I have says 70 calories per ounce and it is a 16 ounce loaf but only has 13 slices so each slice is more.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Sorry every1, it looks like I didn't calibrate my scale right. I didn't realize it needed to be at zero till I read the box.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Don't eat bread, period.
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you want to calibrate your scale, Cooks Illustrated says that one US nickel is 5 grams and that 4 US quarters +1 US nickel is 1 ounce