Weight loss and alcohol

Options
So, I know they just say "no alcohol whatsoever". I guess because it halts your metabolism?

I don't know if I'm committed to not drinking ever. I really like some white wine lol.
Any advice on this matter, or did everyone just cut it out all together?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you can fit the calories contained therein into your daily allowance, and still meet your nutrient goals...no problem with a drink or two or more.

If you can't then it will be counterproductive
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Not sure who "they" are but I've never heard that. Never followed that. Never had a problem.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't know who is saying "no alcohol whatsoever." I drank just about every night when I was losing weight (about 45 pounds). I just logged the calories and stayed within a calorie deficit. It did not halt my metabolism at all -- I'm not even sure, scientifically, how it could accomplish that. I'm also drinking just about every night while maintaining my weight loss -- since July I've maintained my weight loss, so I know for a fact that it isn't halting my metabolism.

Some people cut it out while they're losing weight -- either because they want to use the calories for food or they have trouble sticking to their limit (either for drinks or because they eat more when they're drinking). If you're meeting your nutritional goals and you can stick to your calorie deficit, I don't think you have to eliminate alcohol to lose weight.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    It is not required but it can be a stumbling block for some people. Calories in calories out all seems logical but three beers in that plate of nachos looks pretty good calories be damned.

I would just be mindful when you're drinking and if you find that it causes you to go overboard it might be wise to limit or avoid normal consumption while you are losing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Account for it the same as you do your food if you want a drink. I've never liked alcohol, so I've had one drink in 22 months at this, but I know others who have slightly cut back/not at all.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It shuts your fat burning down for 48-72 hours while your liver works full time to detoxify you. Hhhmmmm......no, not worth it! ;)
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I pretty much cut out all alcohol:
    1. Empty calories = would rather eat my calories
    2. Alcohol makes me retain water
    3. I don't sleep as well
    4. After 2 glasses of wine I want to snack.

Now that being said there have been plenty of times where I did drink, mostly on vacation and resolved to not losing as quickly during those times. I don't deprive myself on special occasions but have found that I can't really have it on a regular basis or I go off track to easily, even if it fits into my calories.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I drink half a bottle of wine around three times a week and I've lost at about 0.75kg a week over the last three months, so you don't have to cut it out. At ~100kCal a small glass, wine is quite a big thing to fit in and it does lower your resistance to just a little snackeroo or two. I'd feel deprived if I didn't partake, though my alcohol calories tend to be earned through exercise rather than giving up food. And I've chosen wine rather than a mince pie today.
  • rs050711
    rs050711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm losing just fine drinking 1/2-1 bottle of wine about 3 nights a week. I try to bank calories during the week so that I can indulge more on the weekends. Works for me! I could never give up my wine... ;)
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I cut back when I started trying to lose weight because it seemed like an easy way to cut down the calories, especially since I like the more caloric dark beers. Many of them are 200+ calories per beer. I'd rather not drink than drink lite beer. Now that I'm maintaining, I often look at my food log and think I'd better have a drink tonight because I've got loads of calories left.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I always find a way to fit in so I can drink. I drink 2+ times a week.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I cut back on drinking, but not altogether. I like it for cheat meals and calculate the calories the night before.
  • silverspring47
    silverspring47 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I LOVE wine!! Half my weight is from wine lol so, it had been hard to cut it out. But I have... Now, if I REALLY want some...it's a treat...I will measure 6 oz, and include it in my calorie count. You can make a glass go further by adding soda or sparkling water.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So, I know they just say "no alcohol whatsoever". I guess because it halts your metabolism?

I don't know if I'm committed to not drinking ever. I really like some white wine lol.
    Any advice on this matter, or did everyone just cut it out all together?

A glass of red wine most nights and this has happened:
    58841349.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The biggest challenges with alcohol are that it consumes a lot of calories and provides absolutely no nutrition, does not fill you up, and reduces your self-control (willpower to limit other eating). I have a glass of wine very occasionally, but most days I would rather eat a little more satisfying food or add to my already narrow deficit.
  • lippicker3000
    lippicker3000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have 500 calories left. I will be drinking wine for dinner tonight
  • silverspring47
    silverspring47 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have 500 calories left. I will be drinking wine for dinner tonight

LOL
    3r56tqqebxxi.png