Too many focuses or well balanced?

Options
Looking for a bit of feedback...

I've had good success over the last 10 months losing weight (my primary goal). I've dropped roughly 60 pounds and still have about 40 to go. I am fortunate to have a great gym at my office and workout during my lunch, I am able to get a full 60 minutes each workday. I typically do 3 routines each with a different "goal". What I am wanting feedback on is whether or not I should narrow my "goals" or if what I am doing is balanced enough to achieve all that I am looking for over time. Here's what I am doing:

Days One and Four: Treadmill Workout - my goal is to build my running endurance and speed (I'd like to start doing 5 & 10Ks) as well as the obvious cardio necessary for weigh loss. I spend the entire time running as much as possible, I typically do 2 miles non-stop now (I wasn't able to maintain 5 min when I started) and then do intervals between walking and running after that.

Days Two and Five: Upper body circuit with heavy weights - my goal is to build muscle mass and gain strength. I lift as heavy as I can and do max reps twice on each exercise (bench, curls, standing press, bent over rows, dead-lift, triceps extension and push-ups).

Day 3: Kettlebells - my goal is to strengthen core and build endurance. I jog on the treadmill between each set (jog, swings, jog, RDL, jog, figure 8, jog, sit-ups, jog, windmills, jog, planks, jog swings, jog, wall-sit).

I will add, as well, that I walk every morning (some mornings I jog) outside and add in some cardio in the evening at times. I also, of course, do my best to stay under my calorie goal each day and eat as few of my exercise calories back as possible.

My primary goal is still to lose weight, but I want to build a more muscular body as well. I guess that I just want some affirmation that what I'm doing is not so diversified that I am hurting my primary goal of weight loss.

I appreciate your feedback!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Can't argue with success. If you're losing weight, you're running a good calorie deficit. You look to have a reasonable mix of cardio and strength. Not sure I'd call your strength day "upper body", since you've got deadlifts in there (which is a good thing, otherwise I'd be calling out "where is leg day?"). You potentially could make things a bit more efficient, but I'm pretty hesitant to suggest changes to a working system.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ^ Good insight...spot on. I did something very similar to you OP. Looking back, I wish I would have incorporated a leg day. Or maybe push/pull days. But regardless, you Sir are doing fantastic...so consider this affirmation that you are rocking it!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Treadmill Workout - my goal is to build my running endurance and speed (I'd like to start doing 5 & 10Ks) as well as the obvious cardio necessary for weigh loss.

Zero cardio is necessary for weight loss. Only a calorie deficit is required. Careful not to run too much too soon, to avoid the common running-related injuries.

I'm guessing you don't do squats because your legs look fine or because you run. Neither is a valid reason not to do heavy squats. I'd start with a professionally-designed program (Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, personal trainer, etc). Kettlebells etc. can be added for general conditioning.

By the way, somebody is going to chime in to say you need a calorie surprlus to gain muscle. But keep in mind that as you lose the fat that's covering your muscles, you'll LOOK more muscular.. which is often enough for most guys. :+1:
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback and affirmation guys!
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I'm guessing you don't do squats because your legs look fine or because you run. Neither is a valid reason not to do heavy squats. I'd start with a professionally-designed program (Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, personal trainer, etc). Kettlebells etc. can be added for general conditioning.

I struggle with legs/squats due to knee pain (admittedly exasperated by the running) from ACL reconstruction 10 plus years ago. I tend to avoid squats and such. My legs are most definitely neglected.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lifting will make you increase weight but it's from muscle gain it won't effect your ability to lose fat. So the question is do you want to lose fat or just see your weight go down. Lifting is great to include in your workouts keep it there.

I will say this though you have an upper body day but no leg day... I see you do a few things that work your legs a bit like deadlifting but you really should include calf raises and squats if you're going to do heavy upper body lifting.

Also you might consider doing a push day and a pull day instead of full upper body both days.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Looks like a pretty well rounded program, if you start getting more serious about your running (ie wanting do faster 5 & 10Ks or longer races) you would probably want to add more running to the mix (specificity) but even then x-training is part of the mix!

Walking or running outside will help keep the boredom at bay, if it's practical I'd also consider adding some cycling to the mix (outside if possible) as it's great x-training and lots of fun!
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lifting will make you increase weight but it's from muscle gain it won't effect your ability to lose fat. So the question is do you want to lose fat or just see your weight go down.

Not as worried about the number...want to see fat go away and improve general health. I'm going to try and add in some squats next week and see what my knees do...I'm hoping they hold up alright. In the past, I pay the price for squats with knee issues for a day or two.
    Walking or running outside will help keep the boredom at bay, if it's practical I'd also consider adding some cycling to the mix (outside if possible) as it's great x-training and lots of fun!

I miss cycling! I have a decent bike and used to ride it a LOT, we had great trails in our neighborhood. We moved in August and I can't seem to find a place to ride that's nearby and safe. Would love to take my kids out with me.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'd just add that swimming is great for bad knees. Swimming can improve joint stiffness, strengthen muscles around your joints and strengthen your bones. Just avoid the butterfly stroke
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and add in some squats next week and see what my knees do...I'm hoping they hold up alright. In the past, I pay the price for squats with knee issues for a day or two

FWIW, depending on the situation with your knee, you might want to try walking lunges instead of squats. Similar benefits, and it's a good stretch for the hip muscles. During biking season, I tend to do lunges instead of squats due to knee pain. Biggest downside is you just can't get nearly the load with walking lunges that you do with squats -- it's just too unstable.