Stuck in Rutt!!!

Options
Hi,

Hopefully you will be able to help me, so far on my weight loss journey I have lost 60lbs and still have another 100lbs to go! I have lost the initial 60lbs over the last 12 months just through diet and a very small amount of exercise however over the last 2 months my weight loss and slowed to a halt and although I have not gained any weight I also have not lost any....

So to try and combat this I joined the gym! Did a couple of sessions with a personal trainer and was on my way, I currently work out 5 times a week with 30 - 40 minuets on cardio and 15 - 20 minuets of weights. I have been doing this now for 6 weeks and although I have lost body fat and definitely increased my muscle mass I am not seeing the results on the scales.

I am eating around 1600 calories a day also, this is just a balanced diet with lots of fruit & veg, complex carbs, proteins ect ect...

I just need some advice really, Am I doing the right thing? Will I get through this plateau?

Thanks for reading!

Grace x

Replies

• missys99
    missys99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    60 pounds is a lot of weight to lose and your body is having to adjust all the time! Good for you for sticking to it! I can't say if you are doing the right thing or not... I am not a doctor or a personal trainer. but maybe you need to look less at the numbers on the scale (as long as they aren't going up ;) ) and focus a little more on how you are "feeling" physically! I would bet after 6 weeks of a workout routine you are feeling stronger and have more energy! I am sure the weight loss will catch up to the changes you are making and if they don't maybe you should see a doctor and show them what you have been doing and see what they have to say. Good luck and keep up the AWESOME job you are doing!
  • kahn265
    kahn265 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You will get through the plateau...

That being said, if you are getting thinner....ignore the scales.

In October, I started doing Crossfit and eating right. I've lost a great deal of fat....

That being said, in October, I weighed 250 lbs.....today, I weigh....250 lbs.

I'm thinner, healthier, and stronger and have the EXACT SAME MASS.

There is nothing to be done except to take pictures and compare before and after and know that you ARE losing weight - even if you weigh the same. I've done the same thing and it keeps me going (Hey it worked for Tyler at 344pounds.com)
  • angeleyes192
    angeleyes192 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Seems like you've been doing great, however what worked for me when I got stuck was flipping around my cardio and weights I did more weights and less cardio, try this you will see it will definately get you out of the rutt. Lift heaiver weights more often and do only 15-20 minutes of cardio after you've lifted the wights. Kind of a reverse work out it shocks the muscles and you will get back on track. Good luck take care.
  • marky62
    marky62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing the right thing and that you will lose weight, but at a slower weight than previously. Things to bear in mind:
    You need fewer calories as you lose weight anyway, so you will generally lose weight more slowly after your excellent start, and:
    if you can see the way your body is changing as you excercise, then that suggests that your muscle mass is increasing whilst your fat is decreasing. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so what is probably happening now is that you are losing fat but developing muscle. Your muscle won't develop beyond as certain level (you won't accidentally end up looking like Schwartzenegger) but if you use up more calories than you take in you will lose weight - physics will see you through! if you keep on with a similar regime, I'm sure you will begin to lose weight again.
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, change things up like the others said but just keep at it. I hit a plateau and didn't lose weight for about 2 months and now it's starting to come off again. I'm so glad that I stuck with it even though I was discouraged because now I'm seeing results again. Hang in there:flowerforyou:
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Nice job Grace, losing the 60#. Excellent. Are you recording the calories that you burn during exercise? Then, are you eating back those calories so that you net out at 1600? If you are exercising 5 days a week, and not eating back those calories, then perhaps you aren't eating enough food. Your body may think it's starving and holding on to everything it gets. Make sure you are eating a NET 1600.

Awesome job so far!
    Sally
  • GraceEMyers
    GraceEMyers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for all your responses!

I am currently eating a total of 1600 calories, but any calories I burn I don't count as being able to eat them so yes, Net i guess i am eating between 900 and 1200. I did not think of this as i just thought that as long as i am eating the 1600 then that would count as my daily allowance.

Do you think i may not be eating enough then on my days that I am working out?

Thanks
    Grace
  • missys99
    Options
    Most experts will say no one should eat less than 1200 calories in a day. So I would say make sure you are netting at LEAST that much. Occasionally not eating all your calories won't hurt but doing that on a regular basis probably isn't a good thing.
  • missys99
    Options
    Most experts will say no one should eat less than 1200 calories in a day. So I would say make sure you are netting at LEAST that much. Occasionally not eating all your calories won't hurt but doing that on a regular basis probably isn't a good thing.