To the breastfeeding moms!

Options
Hey, I'm just starting out again after having my baby 4 months ago. I am breastfeeding and I think he eats around 30oz a day.

I'm just wondering if I should count the Calories burned from breast-feeding?

Replies

• meltoine
    meltoine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. You risk losing your supply if you don't.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm just starting out again after having my baby 4 months ago. I am breastfeeding and I think he eats around 30oz a day.

I'm just wondering if I should count the Calories burned from breast-feeding?

Yes!! At 30 oz that is roughly 400 calories. There was a time I pumped and that's the extra I gave myself and still lost weight
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I didn't go nuts trying to lose too fast while my kids were nursing. I kind of used their satisfaction as my guide. Sometimes the little buggers were happier if I concentrated on getting enough sleep, water and good smart foods (enough food, good choices). My kids were born small and hungry and nursed for a year.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the baby! There are two ways I am aware of...you can either enter the your breastfeeding time under exercise and it will give you the equivalent of calories burned or you can enter it through the dairy as food (the option I use often ) when you search through this option it will give you numerous choices such as breastfeeding infant, toddler, newborn, etc. Hope this helps, good luck!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you choose to add through food dairy, it will subtract the calorie amount from you calorie allotment, thus giving you a larger surplus
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Well, there are two ways to go about this.

I did what above poster mentioned - I set MFP to a 1.5lb/week loss, then used the food diary to add calories back in. I used 500/day when my daughter was nursing exclusively, bumped it back to 300 when she started solids, dropped it to 200 as she dropped to nursing twice per day, and now I don't account for it at all, as she only nurses a few minutes in the morning (almost 15 months old).

Alternatively, you could set MFP at maintenance, and see how much you lose per week. That will give you some idea of how many calories are going to feeding your baby (if you eat your exercise calories back). It's probably the simpler option to start, but I did like "gaining" extra calories to eat every day when I added the negative calories for breastfeeding into my food diary :smiley:
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I found online that for every one ounce you burn roughly 20 calories.
    39392015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1300 calories a day, plus 500 for breastfeeding, so I'm eating 1800 cal. In the 8 weeks since bub has been born I've lost 10kg (20ish pounds) , and my milk supply is still in oversupply. I think as long as you make sure your net calories are above 1300/1400 you should still be losing at the maximum safe rate while securing your supply.
  • heatherisadork
    heatherisadork Posts: 15 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm aiming for 1800 calories a day but some days I get so hungry so I'll eat a little more. I'm going for 1.5 lbs lost a week at most so I guess if I'm losing more then that I should increase my calories a little
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should eat, at minimum 1800 calories when you're breastfeeding. Any lower and your supply will most likely suffer. So yes, you should account for your breast-feeding in your calories, absolutely.
  • UnicornAmanda1
    UnicornAmanda1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my six month old and i have my calories set at just over 1,800 calories per day. That is around 300 extra a day. I don't have a problem with my supply but i swear i get famished... A type of hunger that is bigger than pregnancy hunger lol. Good luck!
  • MrsMamaMogul
    MrsMamaMogul Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Helpful info you've all given about tracking, as I am nursing, as well. For your calculation purposes, I wanted to add in that the amount you pump is not necessarily indicative of the amount you produce or what your baby is eating. You are likely burning more calories when he nurses, because babies are more efficient than the pump. I hope that helps when it comes to estimating. :smile:
  • Shelle58704
    Shelle58704 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wore my heart rate monitor for a full day, 16 hours straight, no exercise. Came to 2147 calories. Adding about 300 for breastfeeding a 3 month old, I figured 2000 a day seemed like a good place to start, so I set MFP to that. I walk for an hour 4-5 days a week; I don't eat back all those calories but I will eat some. I eat a lot of nuts and beans.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is watch your supply. Many people will have a supply drop if they cut calories. That can be good or bad, depending on where your supply is at now. Many women also cannot lose those last few pounds until they stop nursing, as your body is pretty good at making sure you have enough fat to feed baby in an emergency.