This app is pretty cool. Trying to gain weight.

Options
Hey there. I don't lift weights. I'm just looking to gain weight. I've always been thin but had medication induced gastritis in the recent past and lost 13-15 LBs which I cannot seem to get back. I'm 5" 8 1/2 and weigh 114 as of the other day. I went to a nutritionist for tips because I'm just struggling to eat enough calories after the 5 months of gastritis. She recommended this app which I really like. I haven't lost anymore weight in the last two months but haven't gained either. Also of note is I'm fairly deconditioned due to a back injury and currently a frozen shoulder. I say that because I need to gain far but also build back lost muscle.
The nutritionist said to add between 200-400 calories a day in fats, protein, and calcium rich foods. I unfortunately cannot tolerate whey protein and have purchased a soy protein powder.

Any advice beyond what I'm trying to do now will be immensely helpful. I've tracked my calories through this app the last few days and it's hard for me to hit 1800, my goal to gain based on the nutritionist calculations. I eat really healthy because I don't like eating crappy foods as they make me feel gross. I am eating good portions of nuts and avocados and things. Appreciate it and thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are you defining as healthy and non healthy... personally if you goal is to gain weight, you need enough calories to get above you tdee or maintenance calories or you wont gain.

But eggs, cheese (literally eat a block if you have to), avocado, cook foods in oil, red meats, dark fish (salmon or tuna), bagels (i top mine with peanut butter), potatoes with butter and bacon, ice cream, full fat yogurt or 2% and top with granola, more bacon, protein shake with milk and fruits, and my favorite more bacon. ;)
  • tmielcarek129
    tmielcarek129 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Our whole family eats pretty healthy. By that I mean grilled or baked chicken, tons of legume dishes, fresh veggies and potatoes. Also we pretty much only have healthy snacks like raw nuts, berries, blue organic chips. Stuff like that. Not for any reason other than they are healthier. We have a lot of cheese, yogurt, eggs and 12 grain breads.
    I appreciate the tips. My thing is portions. My stomach has shrunk from the gastritis. I just tracked my lunch and I could only eat two ounces of chicken and two of sweet potatoes. I added cheese and OJ and still so few calories.
    Harder than I thought so far but I'll get there! Thanks much
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One thing to remember health is just more than eating a few specific foods. And when gaining weight, you need to find ways to eat enough calories or you will just be spinning your wheels. So feel free to add some of your "bad" foods. Just remember total dietary context is what matters.
  • coreyhill_7
    coreyhill_7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating alot too so i started making smoothies. I use 1 banana, 5 frozen strawberries, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, a cup of whole milk and bled it all together. And that is 600 easy calories.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Our whole family eats pretty healthy. By that I mean grilled or baked chicken, tons of legume dishes, fresh veggies and potatoes. Also we pretty much only have healthy snacks like raw nuts, berries, blue organic chips. Stuff like that. Not for any reason other than they are healthier. We have a lot of cheese, yogurt, eggs and 12 grain breads.
    I appreciate the tips. My thing is portions. My stomach has shrunk from the gastritis. I just tracked my lunch and I could only eat two ounces of chicken and two of sweet potatoes. I added cheese and OJ and still so few calories.
    Harder than I thought so far but I'll get there! Thanks much

Can you tolerate mayo or butter? Or ranch dressing? I say this because those are what make me fail, so they might make you succeed. Lol. IJS. Or I second avocado/guacamole. & tons of calories in just 2tbsp of peanut butter (200)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    One thing you can do is simply add one tablespoon of peanut butter on the side of every meal. That's not going to be filling at all, and if you eat three meals a day, that's 300 easy extra calories. Don't worry so much about eating "healthy" as long as you are meeting your calorie goals and not eating total crap you're fine. For example instead of grilled chicken you could do something with a higher fat content like pork or steak. Not all the time, but sometimes to get more calories. Instead of fruit you could allow yourself a less healthy snack now and then. It's all about balance, but getting enough calories is the most important thing!
  • holm6677
    holm6677 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could also boost your egg count. I'd suggest scrambling the whites, they're loaded with calories, and you won't have those pesky yolks sending you back to the doctor for cholesterol problems. Also, you can try cooking with grape seed oil. It's loaded with polyunsaturated fats that your body needs for building new tissue.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    holm6677 wrote: »
    You could also boost your egg count. I'd suggest scrambling the whites, they're loaded with calories, and you won't have those pesky yolks sending you back to the doctor for cholesterol problems. Also, you can try cooking with grape seed oil. It's loaded with polyunsaturated fats that your body needs for building new tissue.

I love scrambling egg whites but they actually have hardly any calories at all. Only about 20 cal per egg white. Not that helpful if you're trying to put on weight.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    At 5'8.5 expecting to gain on 1800 doesn't seem right. I'm 5'4 and lose weight eating 1800-1900 calories, my maintenance is about 2000-2100. Maybe I'm wrong?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    holm6677 wrote: »

Dietary cholesterol has very little to do with your endogenous cholesterol levels. Omitting the yolks also omits the majority of calories in the egg. You'd have to eat about 4 times the number of egg whites to get the same number of calories.