frustrated

hi there! sadly I don't know how many times I have done this and stopped out of frustration. I need to lose 20 + ' I'm looking for a friend to do this along with me! :-)

Replies

• I am exactly the same!
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    "Tired of starting over? Stop giving up"

Not trying to be a jerk, it is a common quote in the fitness world.

My two cents: do know approach it as "all or nothing"

Do not expect change to happen overnight, if you go into a "diet" or "program" and don't see results, do not give up, change something instead.

Your best tool is knowledge, learn how nutrition and exercise works (Google to the rescue here) and make your own decisions as to which approach to take.

Cheers.
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Don't let frustration stop you @melonyr14 and @TheGirlWithTwoBrains from being successful! Like @memo1974 said, "...do not give up, change something instead."

Here are tips I like to share when creating consistent change:

1. Remember that consistency is built over time, and that the upward trend is more important than a bad day or two (or week/month/year LOL).

2. Look for all-or-nothing thinking, and challenge it. Are you being a perfectionist or unrealistic with your expectations?

3. Pick ONE battle to fight. It's so easy to want to make ALL.THE.CHANGES. at once, and to have them be done overnight. When I'm highly motivated, I might be able to hit it really hard for a short time, but eventually I burn myself out. So when things get tough, I pick one thing (usually a back-to-basics thing) and devote my energy to that.

4. Honor commitments to yourself. This is about building (or rebuilding) trust that you'll do what you say you're going to do. It can be easy to believe you'll never lose the weight or finish that 5K or fit into that dress when you have little confidence in your ability to follow-through. Start small, forgive yourself when you struggle, and believe that yes, one day you will do the REALLY.HARD.THING.

5. Ignore your feelings. When your inner 2-year old is throwing a tantrum and crying things like “I can’t do this”, “I don’t wanna”, “Why?!?!”, or "I don't feel like it", ignore it and stick to the plan.

6. Throw yourself a pity party. Set a timer for 10-60 minutes and go full-on feeling sorry for yourself. Once the time's up, move on.

7. Remind yourself of your "why." What's your honest-to-goodness, deep-in-your-soul reason for doing this fitness/health/weight loss thing?

8. Answer "What do I want for myself?" Get very specific. Get detailed with your senses – what will you see/hear/touch/smell/taste when you get what you want? What thoughts will you have, what emotions will you experience?

9. Take a teeny tiny, smaller-than-a-baby-step action. When you want to quit and give up, take a miniscule action that's worth doing to keep moving forward. I'm talking so small that it's IMPOSSIBLE to fail, and that sets you up for inevitable success.
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    zorahgail wrote: »
    Don't let frustration stop you @melonyr14 and @TheGirlWithTwoBrains from being successful! Like @memo1974 said, "...do not give up, change something instead."

1. Remember that consistency is built over time, and that the upward trend is more important than a bad day or two (or week/month/year LOL).

2. Look for all-or-nothing thinking, and challenge it. Are you being a perfectionist or unrealistic with your expectations?

3. Pick ONE battle to fight. It's so easy to want to make ALL.THE.CHANGES. at once, and to have them be done overnight. When I'm highly motivated, I might be able to hit it really hard for a short time, but eventually I burn myself out. So when things get tough, I pick one thing (usually a back-to-basics thing) and devote my energy to that.

4. Honor commitments to yourself. This is about building (or rebuilding) trust that you'll do what you say you're going to do. It can be easy to believe you'll never lose the weight or finish that 5K or fit into that dress when you have little confidence in your ability to follow-through. Start small, forgive yourself when you struggle, and believe that yes, one day you will do the REALLY.HARD.THING.

5. Ignore your feelings. When your inner 2-year old is throwing a tantrum and crying things like “I can’t do this”, “I don’t wanna”, “Why?!?!”, or "I don't feel like it", ignore it and stick to the plan.

6. Throw yourself a pity party. Set a timer for 10-60 minutes and go full-on feeling sorry for yourself. Once the time's up, move on.

7. Remind yourself of your "why." What's your honest-to-goodness, deep-in-your-soul reason for doing this fitness/health/weight loss thing?

8. Answer "What do I want for myself?" Get very specific. Get detailed with your senses – what will you see/hear/touch/smell/taste when you get what you want? What thoughts will you have, what emotions will you experience?

9. Take a teeny tiny, smaller-than-a-baby-step action. When you want to quit and give up, take a miniscule action that's worth doing to keep moving forward. I'm talking so small that it's IMPOSSIBLE to fail, and that sets you up for inevitable success.

I want to take all of your advice and remember it forever. Really good points. ##1, 3 and 5 have been things I am really focusing on!
  • Cathscottage
    Cathscottage Posts: 75 Member
    This is great advice for you Melody and anyone trying to reboot their thinking. When I first started this journey I had moments and days that I slipped up but I needed that to move forward. I still love myself and found strength to keep on losing the weight. Stop obsessing about losing weight. Go for daily walk around the block. Log your calories and talk to your friends. Read the mindfulness and motivation articles on the blog that can help to. It is a slow process and there is no overnight quick fix it is a lifestyle change. Learn to be kind to yourself.
  • pridegal113
    pridegal113 Posts: 2 Member
    Wow yall really have good advice
  • zorahgail wrote: »

Great post, thank you!