What to eat after a workout?

Options
Usually I'm hungry after working out, and I want something quick and easy. What can I eat? I have leftovers in the fridge, but the thing is...idk how many calories are in it. It's vegan food its good, but I want something to eat where I know the amount of calories in it. :/

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    eat whatever you want...i usually have an apple or banana and a whey supplement to keep me until my next meal.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My workouts are after work, at home, before dinner. After my workouts, I walk the dog (1/2 mile), shower. perpare dinner and eat it.

What to eat after a workout? Whatever meal is next? If the next meal is a while off, whatever you would have as a healty snack?
  • cyn1965
    cyn1965 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have a whey protein shake. The protein gives you that full feeling and the whey isolates are good for your muscles!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I usually have a whey/casein shake and a banana.
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan? I'd suggest hummus with veggie sticks, and it's easy to make. Or, try one of the vegan protein powders with almond or soy milk. There's a number of them on the market, and not all are bad.
  • joeelliott87uk
    joeelliott87uk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    protein after workout in my opinion as it promotes muscle recovery. After working out you want to feed your muscles after the beating they have took :)
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Double protein powder drink 240 cal, 48 gm protein or a quest bar. Just depends
  • ksmithmn1
    ksmithmn1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always have whey protein afterwards.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most people have whey protein but it's dairy based and if you're vegan (like me, but mainly because I can't tolerate whey) you can try a vegan protein powder. I quite like the Vega sport protein mixed with soy or almond milk. It can be expensive but I think it tastes the best. It's good to have some protein, so try to get around 20-30g which isn't too hard with a shake. Some veggies and hummus are also good or even some of your favourite fruit. Vega also makes a protein bar that's super yummy and quick if you don't have time to make something.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Lately by the time I come home after the gym it's 30-45 minutes until lunch time, so I just wait. When I was working out early in the am, I'd just have a protein bar or some yoghurt.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You could try some sort of protein powder, some nuts, a piece of fruit--I'd suggest the fruit with the nuts or protein powder though since, for me personally, fruit isn't that filling. But you can eat whatever you want in the end.
  • KatyP86
    KatyP86 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Same with me, I always leave the gym hungry. I usually eat a banana or yogurt to keep me full until lunch/dinner.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Its best to consume a good protein shake they make non dairy ones. You want something that your body can digest and use right away. Liquid is easier for your body to assimilate and use to speed up recovery
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Protein powder in a shaker bottle put in the gym bag. After the workout I add cold water to the powder and shake it up. I drink it on the way home in the car.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the suggestions! :D
  • LUHAN27
    Options
    C_Stretton wrote: »
    Are you vegan? I'd suggest hummus with veggie sticks, and it's easy to make. Or, try one of the vegan protein powders with almond or soy milk. There's a number of them on the market, and not all are bad.

I'm not vegan, but I do enjoy vegan food! I'll consider those items! Thank you! :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the leftovers in the refrigerator that you don't know the calories of. Is it somebody else's leftovers? If not, how did you log it when you ate it the first time? How are you going to log it when you eventually do eat it? If you're not going to eventually eat it, why are you keeping it in the refrigerator?

More practically, lots of good suggestions up thread, but you can eat whatever you like. For quick and easy, I might go with an apple and nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios), or banana and peanut butter, or whole-grain toast with peanut butter and a glass of milk. Cold whole-grain cereal and milk is quick and easy, too. Deli meat or leftover roast poultry or meat, hard-boiled eggs if you've cooked a batch ahead of time, greek yogurt with fruit or whatever you like in it.
  • LUHAN27
    Options
    I'm confused by the leftovers in the refrigerator that you don't know the calories of. Is it somebody else's leftovers? If not, how did you log it when you ate it the first time? How are you going to log it when you eventually do eat it? If you're not going to eventually eat it, why are you keeping it in the refrigerator?

More practically, lots of good suggestions up thread, but you can eat whatever you like. For quick and easy, I might go with an apple and nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios), or banana and peanut butter, or whole-grain toast with peanut butter and a glass of milk. Cold whole-grain cereal and milk is quick and easy, too. Deli meat or leftover roast poultry or meat, hard-boiled eggs if you've cooked a batch ahead of time, greek yogurt with fruit or whatever you like in it.

The leftovers are from a restaurant. I didn't log in the leftovers the first time I ate it, because I didn't know the calorie amount. After working out, I wanted something low in calories but satisfying enough to hold me off until next meal. That's why I wanted to know the calorie amount.

Thank you for the suggestions!