Planet Fitness worth the money?

Options
Hello,

I have for the last 3+years worked out in my apartment complex's "gym", while not terrible I think I might have out grown the "gym" and tired of putting up with people not "cleaning up" after themselves. The gym has an elliptical and one rack of free weights I have been using, nothing overly heavy mind you 40 lbs for squats!

There is a brand new Planet Fitness opening within a mile, if I work out four times a week, would it be worth the money and if so would it be worth the black card membership?

I understand Planet Fitness is not a "real" gym, to some, but I also know it is the only gym I am likely to visit as it is so close. I don't use heavy weights, but do use free weights.

Thanks for your time and input

Replies

• braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I work at a planet fitness and before that I was a member at one and it would definitely be worth the money to join one. It's not a "real" gym in the sense that it's not meant for powerlifters and body builders. It's meant as a gym that anyone can work out and try and get fit and feel comftorable and the one I work at has members that are first time gym users to people who are in extremely strong and fit shape. And there is a large variety of weight machine, cord machines, and free weights, smith squat and bench machines and tons of cardio machines (treadmills, elliptical, bikes, stair climbers). As far as the black card membership, it depends on if you would use the "perks". The tanning, massage chairs (some locations have the hydro massage beds too), if you wanted to visit other clubs (if you traveled a lot), you can bring a guest if you have a friend that wants to work out with you; if you would use any of those then it's worth the black card, if not, you can do the standard $10 a month membership (and all memberships include free personal training with certified trainers who will help you create a work out routine based on your goals if you wanted to or you can have sessions where they show you different exercises for specific body parts). It's a good gym and every planet fitness I've ever been in is clean and the staff are always really friendly and helpful.
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    And one other thing, planet fitness doesn't work on commission so it's a no pressure approach when people come in and ask about the gym. You can have a tour and check out the facilities and ask questions and they won't try and "sell" you at the end like some gyms will. So you could always go in and get a tour and get a feel for the gym when it opens