NutriSystem

Options
So I rejoined NutriSystem and should be getting the food tomorrow. Hopefully I get good results this time around. It's been a difficult year or so -- I lost my wife to stomach cancer on September 27, 2014. Hard to believe it's been over a year... But she definitely wanted me to start being healthier. It's been tough going with a busy work schedule and battling getting over losing her, so I needed something that wouldn't take very much time. I lost quite a bit of weight using NutriSystem several years ago.

Does anybody else use this? Is it working for you?

Replies

• LeeMay63
    LeeMay63 Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I tried it for one week and lost 2 lbs. I couldn't afford it for longer,but think the food wasn't bad and was convinced that it did work. Good luck on your weight loss. So sorry for your loss,I lost my only child 4 yrs ago and know how hard it is.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it didn't suit me. It sounds like a good thing for your lifestyle right now. I'm so very sorry for both your losses. :(
  • shellygw
    shellygw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used it to get started and it helped me adjust to smaller portions without freaking out and had excellent results. Because I knew I couldn't afford it for long and didn't want to be on it forever or put the weight back on when I quit using it, the second month I started slowly substituting healthier home-cooked meals. That has worked well for me because some of it just doesn't taste very good (not liking the powdered/add water meals). I'm just over 90 days in and keep a small supply on hand for when I can't or don't want to cook. I've lost 49lbs so far with still a long way to go, but it has been a great way to get me started.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    More power to you - while it is nice to have the meals figured out, I found them to taste horrible after the first week (I grew to loathe them!!!!) and to be very expensive. I think you could get similar but much more tasty results simply buying Lean Cuisines / Smart Ones meals from your grocery store freezer.
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just got my delivery a couple of hours ago. Don't know yet how they taste but I do remember liking them when I first tried it back in, oh, 2008 I think it was...
  • pirate_john_75
    Options
    Not too bad so far. Been good this week, though once I did forget breakfast and had to stop by a Taco Bell before I got to work so I wouldn't pass out. Plus I'm about to log my 11th day in a row at the gym.
  • davestic
    davestic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It works, like anything else that reduces calorie intake. In case you weren't aware, Costco sells the gift cards online usually $100 value for $80, but every couple months they run a special at $60. Thats a pretty amazing deal imo. We use it as a supplement to regular meals we cook - when we need something fast and prepackaged.
  • pirate_john_75
    Options
    Oh, I never knew that. Thanks! I'll have to check next time I go to Costco.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's just another low calorie system. Nothing magical, as you could do this yourself for a lot less money.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think anything "works" if you actually follow the program. I did Jenny Craig years ago and it really helped me understand portion control. I lost about 50lbs and switched to Lean Cuisine meals for convenience and price - the meals were almost identical to Jenny. I have since moved completely away from these things but I found it to be very beneficial at the time. If you can afford it and are committed, give it a shot. I think there are some groups on MFP that are all about NutriSystem users so that might be a good idea for support. Good luck!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said. I have been on Nutrisystem since March and I have lost over80 lbs. My goal is to transition more to eating on my own by next March. The program has helped me in many ways and I actually like the food
  • pirate_john_75
    Options
    Wow, congrats Diva! :)
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    Wow, congrats Diva! :)

Thanks
  • Aim4skinnyjeans
    Aim4skinnyjeans Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Diva! I need to hear this kind of encouragement, since I decided o try NS on Friday, January 15th. So far, I've 5lbs, unfortunately I have a long way to go. I would like to lose 50 lbs by my wedding in October of this year. So, even if I lose half of the 50lbs, I will feel like it's a win. Thanks for sharing.
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    Congrats, Diva! I need to hear this kind of encouragement, since I decided o try NS on Friday, January 15th. So far, I've 5lbs, unfortunately I have a long way to go. I would like to lose 50 lbs by my wedding in October of this year. So, even if I lose half of the 50lbs, I will feel like it's a win. Thanks for sharing.

As posted above there are some great NS groups that you might want to look into. The people that have used the program and lost weight are very helpful. The input from others has helped me a great deal. Good luck.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. It must be a difficult change to go through, but you're on the right track.

I tried it years ago and thought the food was horrible. It probably can help you adjust to smaller portions but won't help you figure out how to do it yourself. Consider trying weight watchers at some point. A lot of people here may be against it, but I found their points are calculated in a way to reward you for picking leaner meats or food with less sugar which shifts you toward more healthy eating. I quit a few months back and am just tracking calories now. I can't emphasize enough the importance of developing healthy habits. Knowing how to shop, cook, etc. for yourself.