Frozen Butternut Squash

Options
april_69xx
april_69xx Posts: 13 Member
I have a bag of Frozen Butternut Squash Cubes and no idea what to do with them.
Any ideas?

Replies

• Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using a light olive oil spray on them, after you've put them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder if you like it. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-46 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges. Sooooo goooooood.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Risotto, Lasagna Rolls, Pasta Sauce, and soup are the first things that come to mind.

I don't know how roasting comes out with frozen veggies, but like @Acidique mentioned, roasted is delicious.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Risotto, Lasagna Rolls, Pasta Sauce, and soup are the first things that come to mind.

I don't know how roasting comes out with frozen veggies, but like @Acidique mentioned, roasted is delicious.

Well, true, I guess I just decided to forget the fact they they are frozen. Hmmm...not sure how that would work.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I've used the frozen ones in soups before, haven't tried roasting it but I think it would be fine. Might defrost it for a minute in the microwave before roasting it. My grocery store actually sells fresh cubed butternut squash so I've been buying that for recipes lately - so much easier than dealing with the whole one!

I also made this recipe with my last bag of the frozen squash and it was really tasty:

http://www.thedailymeal.com/recipes/butternut-squash-and-coconut-soup-shrimp-recipe
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've always loved just mixing the reheated frozen squash with rice... white or brown; a little pepper and you're good to go. It's a simple side dish, or you can go nuts and have it for a main course (like I did just last night!). This combo was the very first thing I was ever willing to "mix" on my plate as a kid; no other foods were allowed to touch one another.
  • hederoog
    hederoog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used the in a recipe last week as a sauce. Boil them until just cooked, purée, season and use as a sauce for low carb pasta.