no such thing as a stupid question?

Options
I have always been moderately active, but a couple of days ago I started an intense supervised training session, 90% of it I am having no problems with, but it seems the squats, lunges, and hip thrusts have made my lower abdomen (directly under my csection scar), butt, and thighs feel like I can't sneeze, sit, stand, or walk without intense pain. I know this is a good sign for my muscles, but should I work through it or should I rest a day?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    How often are you doing these? At the least, you should be resting each muscle 48 hours after intensely working it. Doing these intense workouts 3 times a week is probably best. Maybe work some cardio in on the alternate days.
  • HollyMarie0595
    HollyMarie0595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Always give your muscles a day to rest if your in that much pain. On your rest days be sure to do stretches or else the muscles will stiffen up, maybe even try some yoga. After a week or two of the exercises your muscles won't ache as much. But always remember to stretch!
  • BoogiesMom10
    BoogiesMom10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym six days a week. I've been alternating cardio and strength training with one day off from the gym. Last night I did the treadmill and elliptical at a moderate pace for a total of 30 minutes. I only burned 200 cals last night so I know my workout last night was pretty easy.

Today is a cheat day for me as its date night with my kid, so I dont want to miss the gym, but its also a strength night which means squats. I guess I'm wondering if I go tonight do I risk any injury or is this a normal feeling for muscles that probably haven't been used in 15 years?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    active recovery, keep moving but less intense. just do some body weight squats for mobility and to get the blood flowing to those muscles and joints, but dont put strain on them. stretch, yoga, foam roll. and drink lots of water and eat nutritious food to help fuel the recovery.
  • Amalthea8284
    Amalthea8284 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always feel worse resting sore muscles for too long, and less sore each time I work them. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    active recovery, keep moving but less intense. just do some body weight squats for mobility and to get the blood flowing to those muscles and joints, but dont put strain on them. stretch, yoga, foam roll. and drink lots of water and eat nutritious food to help fuel the recovery.

^ That.
    it seems the squats, lunges, and hip thrusts have made my lower abdomen (directly under my csection scar), butt, and thighs feel like I can't sneeze, sit, stand, or walk without intense pain. I know this is a good sign for my muscles

No, intense pain is never a good sign.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Especially if you just started, it is okay to take an extra day or two off strength. Don't go inactive, but your muscles might need a little more time to recover. Overdoing it won't help either.
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender on YouTube have some great recovery workout they may help you.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this routine? Is it a sharp pain or is it a dull pain? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

I took a peak at your diary. What is your height and weight? Your protein looks kinda low for the work you are doing.
  • BoogiesMom10
    Options
    I am not much of a mean eater, so I've been trying to get as much as I can stand plus i work someone where that good protien is not always accessible and I'm allergic to tree nuts so that protein is out too, so any recommendations on that would help.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat lots of protein following your strength training to aid in muscle recovery. Since you don't eat meat or nuts, you could try Greek yogurt, protein smoothies or shakes, cottage cheese, and veggies with more protein like mushrooms and garbanzo beans, quinoa etc. there are tons of options! Check out a vegetarian or vegan fitness blog/Instagram for more ideas too.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    My favorite non meat meat way to add protein is greek yogurt.

Scroll through this post, you might find some foods you didn't think of:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10244142/list-of-foods-with-highest-protein-calorie-percentage/p1
  • veggierap86
    veggierap86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beans and whole grains are excellent sources of proteins for non meat and nut eaters. Also they are low in fat and full of fiber which is beneficial for long term weight loss. And very cheap! Really no down sides lol

Personally, I follow a high carb low fat plant based lifestyle. I aim for 75% carbs, 15% fat and 10% protein at 2500 calories a day and find it pretty easy to get all of my nutrients without any oils, animal products or supplements. Lost almost 60lbs this year so far and honestly haven't even worked out but I have been more active overall in daily life, like choosing to walk instead of drive to most places I go. Now that I've lost a decent amount I'm ready to really hit the gym!

People are shocked by the "only" 10% protein, but if you're eating 2500cal a day that ends up being 63g of protein per day which is definitely adequate for an average woman.
  • BoogiesMom10
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on protein guys! I noticed the past two nights it has definitely made a difference!
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I get the same pains near my incision! I've had 3 csections. I would Take a rest day.