New and trying to stop binge eating.

dreamtoned10
dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
edited September 28 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all,

Im 29 from Ireland, and desperately trying to get my eating under control. Ive never been hugely overweight, and at 5"7 am currently 10stone 10 pounds, or 150lbs.
While Im not hugely overweight, its more a health thing for me. I cant go on binge eating over 3000 kcals a day, and then spending a week on diet milkshakes to get back to normal, then binge eating again. I usually wake up first thing and think of whether I binged the day before or not. I feel DEVASTATED at what I eat when Im on a binge, and hope to have this under control by the end of Summer, then try to mantain it for the future.
( I will lose exactly 1 stone, ie 14 pounds)

Id love any help from anyone on how they manage to stick to 1200 kcals a day. On the calculater here, Ive been recommended to stick to 1200, but plan to eat 1400 as I have a pretty fast metabolism and would be HUNGRY and then binge eat if I only had 1200.

Any ideas for breakfast or lunch etc? I cant believe how many kcals seem to be in everything!! Im used to Diet milkshakes when Im trying to lose weight!!!!

xxxx

Replies

• katijjane
    katijjane Posts: 57 Member
    hiya, i don't know about what you should eat for breakfast etc but the thing that stops me from snacking is just to drink looooads of water! i know it sound simple but it makes me feel full and i know lots of waters good for me so i'm always pleased with myself afterwards :)
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    I would try to avoid drinking your cals... they never last long and you'll find yourself ravaged in no time. I would also try to spread your food out during the day. Smaller controlled meals. That way you have more control over your insulin levels. The spiking could cause the urge to binge. Make sure to balance your macros too... any shortage of any of them will make you crave a certain food.

Just remember to hang in there and try to keep your head in the game no matter if you faulter. Don't give up, it'll take time to change your habits. It will happen, just don't quit! Good luck! We're here to back you up!

These suggestions are just my opinion and have worked for me. The important thing is just to stay conistent and hang in there.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    First thing I would do is change the settings, to losing only 0.5lb a week - this will give you more daily calories.
    1200 cals is very low, I can't do that either, so I've changed my settings and now I have 1440 a day plus don't forget, you earn calories by exercising, which are then added to your daily calories. I would usually aim for around 300 exercise calories, so my total would be 1740 a day - which, to me, is a lot more manageble than 1200!!
    And don't worry, you will still lose the lbs.

Try logging your food/exercise religiously - even on bad days, maybe it's more of an eye opener for yourself to actually see it written down?

Good luck, feel free to add me, I'm in ireland too!
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    One thing that helps me to not be as hungrey is to make sure I eat lots of fiber with protein. I try and eat lots of veggies with my lunch and its protein. Also if you work out you will need a greater amount of calories on those days to stay at the reccommended 1200 cals per day. Also a great thing is to make sure you have the support. You can add me as a friend if you want because I have realized having people who are working towards a goal with me and supporting me helps tremendously.
  • Hi,
    I live in Arkansas in the U.S.A. I joined MFP about a week ago and am still exploring all the ways it benefits me. The posts are really a neat feature and when i read yours, I just had to respond.

You sound exactly like me (30 years ago.) I am 5' 7" and actually weighed 150 lbs. when I delivered each of my three children. I always lost the weight back to my normal weight (128-132 lbs.) . However, I think my whole life I have been weight conscious ,and would do fad diets to get off a few lbs. I do believe I have done every diet on the market, from liquid to pills to WW, and more.

This includes the starvation (NOT bulimia) diets and then I would binge because I was so hungry. I know I can eat more than the average person. No wonder I've gained weight. I am in my 60's and having an awful time losing the 20-30 lbs. just to get back to the 'delivery' weight of 150 lbs.

I am sharing this just to tell you, don't do the fads. Slow, deliberate, and planning eating is the key. If we don't eat enough food or the food isn't nutritious, we will get hungry faster and have those awful cravings. Proper exercise naturally helps.
    You might check out (on the internet) a great, easy and sensible (15 min.) exercise called "Oxycise". It's great.

MFP has really motivated me and I love seeing what I have eating nutritionally. I found the vitamins I'm lacking which may be part of my fatigue, so I can plan to work on those foods or vitamins. Believe me when I say I understand the 'binge' thing and will still be keeping a watch on my brain and stomach. Sharing helps.

If I've encouraged you in the least little bit to find a way to be satisfied with yourself and your diet before you hit the 60's, I will be thrilled.

A fellow struggler......
This discussion has been closed.