Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lost 63 lbs, just found out I'm pregnant. Should I continue with my set calorie goal?

Hey everyone. I originally started this weightloss in late March of this year. One of my main goals was to get my hormone levels back in check and hopefully conceive naturally with my husband. I'm 5'10" and started at 280. I'm at 217 now. My ultimate goal was 180. I have maintained an 1850 calorie diet for the duration, with a little zig-zagging. So now I am pregnant, around 7 weeks. Has anyone continued with weightloss in their first trimester, or at least maintained their weight for a good portion of their pregnancy? Any input would be great! Thanks

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I would ask your doctor these questions. Don't risk the life of your child based on what internet strangers say.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    You should speak with your OB, to be honest. It is generally not recommended to lose weight while pregnant. You can, however, work on maintaining during the first trimester. Generally speaking, for a healthy BMI, you're supposed to gain 1-5 lbs in the first trimester and then 1 lb a week for the rest of your pregnancy. Since you're overweight still, it's recommended to gain between 15-25 lbs. It was the same for me (my baby is aaaalmost 11 months old). I gained 24.2 lbs and logged through my entire pregnancy. I set my calorie goal to maintain the first trimester and then the 2nd trimester I increased, I think to like 150-200 calories above that and then the 3rd trimester I was at 350 calories above maintenance. I'll tell you now though, just like weight loss isn't linear, weight gain isn't either. One day it'll literally just pile on like 5 lbs and you're like wtf.

For my own pregnancy, first trimester I gained 1 lb.
    2nd trimester I was up 10.6 lbs
    at 39 weeks (the day before I delivered) I was at 24.2 lbs
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    losing probably would be a pretty bad idea, but defiantly talk to your OB because the amount we all think we need to be building a child is probably well over what we do need. I bet Ninkyou was right on with the amount she added to maintenance, but I remember being pregnant and thinking the whole eating for two gave me much more license than it actually did.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Congrats! I am about 6 weeks preggo myself. You don't need to gain weight during your first trimester, but I wouldn't diet. Eat at maintenance, and make a doctor appointment!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Congratulations on both your weight loss and your coming baby! Such fantastic positive life changes!

The people telling you to talk to your obstetrician are spot-on. Even overweight women are not supposed to lose weight during pregnancy. You've got great logging habits which should serve you well throughout, but your body NEEDS to gain a significant amount because there's a baby growing, and there's a lot associated with that as well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Hey everyone. I originally started this weightloss in late March of this year. One of my main goals was to get my hormone levels back in check and hopefully conceive naturally with my husband. I'm 5'10" and started at 280. I'm at 217 now. My ultimate goal was 180. I have maintained an 1850 calorie diet for the duration, with a little zig-zagging. So now I am pregnant, around 7 weeks. Has anyone continued with weightloss in their first trimester, or at least maintained their weight for a good portion of their pregnancy? Any input would be great! Thanks

Congratulations on both your weight loss and the new baby!

I would certainly talk to your doctor. Even if other women have lost weight during pregnancy, their circumstances may be different than yours. Please please talk to your health care team about your concerns.

Good luck. :)
  • Thanks a lot for all the input. Unfortunately I have to wait until January first to schedule my first appointment, because of the way that Obama care works. I'm self employed so I have to pay for my insurance through covered CA since I don't have any provided through an employer. I basically just wanted some input until I get to go in in January. A lot of what I have seen online is for people at a healthy weight, wanted to reach out to others who have been in the same boat. Thanks again!
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Continuing to log, based on the calorie & nutritional information your OB gives you, should make it easier to stay on track with healthy choices & make sure your baby is getting the nutrients s/he needs. Congratulations!
  • Thanks guys, I will definitely adjust my calories to maintenance until I talk to my doctor in January. I appreciate the help!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    It's not very helpful, but this makes me very glad to have the NHS in the UK and so be able to go to the doctor or midwife whenever I need to and not have to worry about having to pay!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I would set to maintenance and add 300cal/day. You need to grow a human! That is a huge deal! Talk to your health care team, but I remember that as the guideline during my pregnancies.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited December 2015

Yes. I ended up 1lb lighter than I started with my second. I think I overdid it a bit, but I gained about 10-15lbs total. Maybe aim for 20-25lb gain or less if it were me with your stats. I would probably eat around 1900-2400 calories throughout the pregnancy. Maybe starting at 1900-2100, moving up to 2000-2200 and around the 24-28 week when you will likely get very hungry bump it up to 2200-2400 and it might go back down for the end of it :) Just my personal experience (I have 3 children 5 and under). That is before including exercise at all. Basically, if you sit a lot and walk a normal amount and only do regular daily activities. If you exercise, eat your calories back. If you go a bit over your goal, it's nothing to freak out about, you're pregnant.

Here is a pregnancy calorie calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

You don't usually want to lose weight, but to keep it the same or gain only what's necessary. Consult your doctor as well.