Want to lose weight overnight

Options
How do you get passed that expectation? I understand it's not realistic at all but I find myself discouraged when the weight doesn't just fall off. Stupid I know.

I am proud that I'm making small progressive steps such as switching from regular soda to diet and now working on eliminating it altogether

Just need a kick in the pants to get into the right mental state.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    If you aren't gorging throughout the night, you should weigh less in the morning than from the night before.

If you're expectation is to lose weight so fast that it will take little effort....................then you're being unrealistic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Here ya go.
    sr32w1fva6q3.jpg

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    So, this may sound snarky or mean, but I mean it to be light hearted. :)

Weigh yourself before you go to bed. Record that number...then when you wake up weigh yourself again. I GUARNTEE you'll be lighter. You won't losing weight over night, but it might make you feel better...LOL
  • MrsMunsell
    MrsMunsell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So, this may sound snarky or mean, but I mean it to be light hearted. :)

Weigh yourself before you go to bed. Record that number...then when you wake up weigh yourself again. I GUARNTEE you'll be lighter. You won't losing weight over night, but it might make you feel better...LOL

I like that one!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think right at first it is easy to get caught up in that feeling, or need for some instant satisfaction. After you have been at it a few months, and have seen that there is a steady decline on the scale it gets easier to wait for it, knowing that the process is working. Just keep doing even when you feel deflated, it will catch up and you will be so proud of yourself.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Time will pass regardless of what is happening with your weight. I'm sure you'd much rather be lighter in 3 months than you are now, even if it's just a few pounds or the progress is relatively slow. Don't look at the next week, month, year just in terms of weight loss, think of it in terms of living and let your weight be in the background. Focus on making positive changes and healthy habits but try not to scrutinize every single day or every single pound lost or it will seem slow and tedious. Just let it happen and, cliche as it sounds, before you know it you find yourself several months out and however many pounds lighter.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think right at first it is easy to get caught up in that feeling, or need for some instant satisfaction. After you have been at it a few months, and have seen that there is a steady decline on the scale it gets easier to wait for it, knowing that the process is working. Just keep doing even when you feel deflated, it will catch up and you will be so proud of yourself.

I agree, it does get better with time but the impatience is crazy difficult to manage. Its one of my biggest hurdles. To combat it, I just think about today. I know what the goal is, and as long as my steps take me closer and not farther away I should be happy. Its tough though, I feel for you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    BeforeAfter85lb.jpg

This is what three years looks like. Pretty good, eh? The heart wants what it wants but like most great things, it's worth the wait. Think about the urgent longing that comes with romance. You want it all and you want it now. But a well-seasoned romance can turn in to a lifetime partner. Not overnight of course. There's a lot of work in between.

We live in an instant-gratification world. Sitcom problems are solved in 22 minutes. IRL? I don't think so.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You look awesome, @jgnatca ! And your post is spot on.
    I agree it's so hard to wait but every day you succeed is another day closer to being at your goal. All we have is time, so you may as well take it day by day because you don't have a choice! :) The little things you're doing will add up to a healthier, better you.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I can only say to try and lower your expectations. Like, expect to lose nothing and if you do lose, "wheeee!"
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly calculating... "Ok I'm 5% of the way there..now I'm 10%.... Cool now I'm 15% there!"
    It helps with my waiting game. XD
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    BeforeAfter85lb.jpg

This is what three years looks like. Pretty good, eh? The heart wants what it wants but like most great things, it's worth the wait. Think about the urgent longing that comes with romance. You want it all and you want it now. But a well-seasoned romance can turn in to a lifetime partner. Not overnight of course. There's a lot of work in between.

We live in an instant-gratification world. Sitcom problems are solved in 22 minutes. IRL? I don't think so.

You look so beautiful! What you have accomplished is so very inspirational. I need to reread your post every day! Thank you!!
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love you guys. Thank you so much!!!
  • bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Read "You Are A Badass" by Jen Sincero. That book helped me love myself and the journey and to stop being a victim of my circumstance and to change and to be confident and to talk to myself nicely and...it's a great book. It's not about dieting, it's about being better in general. Reading self improvement has strengthened my character and my resolve. I deserve to lose weight and feel beautiful. I am a champion.