• mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Good luck!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Good luck!!
  • kristirobinson1
    kristirobinson1 Posts: 48 Member
    Please post how it was and how you did! Signed up for my first as well for April 2016
  • x311sublimex
    x311sublimex Posts: 40 Member
    It was great! Tough but doable. I would recommend to bring at least one friend to help you through some of the courses. But it was a great experience! I would do it again. Took me about 2:20 to finish the whole race. Grip and upper body strength is totally needs for this so train for that! Also burpees lol
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Yea, they're pretty fun. I was going to volunteer for the LA sprint so I could get a free race, but I tried to sign up too late and they were full.
  • mikene12
    mikene12 Posts: 184 Member
    Aroo!!!
  • kristirobinson1
    Did you wear gloves? I've read so much online about that. I'm so excited! But my upper body strength is really lacking lol
  • x311sublimex
    Yes I did. I wore my old weight lifting ones without the fingers on them but now I might consider the ones that fully cover the fingers because my finger tips were aching after the race. Even the next day lol.
  • bethmaz77
    bethmaz77 Posts: 10 Member
    I did my first yesterday! It was challenging but also exhilarating... such a sense of accomplishment. Congrats!
  • kristirobinson1
    Did any of you go to the training events they have for these?
  • x311sublimex
    I have not. I just joined there mailing list for the daily work out routines and went off of that combined with long runs and hill training.
  • x311sublimex
    I am going to train for my super run coming at the end of January. So taking my sprint experience and work on my weaknesses. Which were mainly grip endurance.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Congrats to all! Welcome to the family ;) AROO!

@kristirobinson1 - that wouldn't happen to be the NJ Beast in April you are doing is it? As for gloves, some people like them and some people don't. Once they are wet and muddy they are useless. Personally I have tricks to keeping them dry for certain obstacles on the course that they help me with. But for your first race I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you were looking to hit certain times or goals. My best advice to someone is to go run your first race and then you will know what will work best for you (training, gear, nutrition wise, etc). The free workouts they host pretty good. Worth checking out if there is one near you.

@x311sublimex - make sure to check your elevation differences in the races. That could be a killer if you did a flatter sprint and are doing a more mountainous super. I've done Sprints that were harder than Beasts ;)

I don't check the forums often, but am active on my page and am big into OCR and Spartan Races. Feel free to add me or message me any questions :)