Training for a backpacking trip

Options
Hello!

I am looking for advice and suggestions on training for a backpacking trip. In short, how would you prepare for short but rather intense a 22-mile-long 2-3 day backpacking trip with 10,000 ft elevation gain/loss?

Some background on my situation: This trip was just decided upon and is coming up in 12 weeks. I hike fairly often and have done a few backpacking trips spanning 3-5 days in the not-so-distant past. I backpacked through the Grand Canyon for five days this year (gaining 5,000 ft on the climb out alone), but I am admittedly totally clueless when it comes to fitness outside of events like this. My upcoming trip involves a lot more elevation change in a shorter distance, and I feel that, while I could probably physically get through it now, I need some pretty serious strength training and cardio to fully enjoy the experience. I currently have access to a staff gym that has some free weights and an elliptical. Hiking regularly would be ideal, but I live in Vermont, so my days doing that are limited this time of year. I am open to joining a gym with more equipment if that would make a significant difference in my training.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I've never really had a fitness routine to speak of and am completely lost when it comes to strength training or training routines in general. What would your training program look like if you were preparing for this hike- specific exercises, number of days per week, etc?

Thank you for your ideas!

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    When my husband was getting ready for a tough hike he went on lots of shorter ones with a full pack but he also spent time on the stair stepper machine at the gym. He slowly upped the resistance while he trained and carried weights to simulate the pack. It made a big difference for him. He was already doing barbell squats, deadlifts and other weight training so the other was added to his current routine.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Load your pack and walk up an incline on the treadmill or stairmill. Don't forget about core exercises to help with the pack load: weight training for your upper back (rows, rows lots of rows), and lower back (hyper extensions). Legs - weighted step ups squats deadlifts walking lunges, split squats etc. And take an antiinflammatory with you on your trip.
  • mwmix
    mwmix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!