TOM and Weight Loss

Options
So.... I cam back to mfp in order to lose weight, but I am gaining weight from my time of the month. It's discouraging that I have been eating very little compared to what I was. I've also been eating a lot healthier, working out, and drinking lots of water. I just hoped to have seen some progress by now instead of my weight increasing.

I want to know what other people do to perk up from the same/similar experience.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Wait it out. The majority of women - not ALL but certainly most - gain water weight in relation to their menstrual cycle... it's WATER weight, not fat, and will dissipate when your period ends. Don't let it get you down, because it is going to happen every month from now until you enter menopause. Get used to it. Accept it as part of life. Keep on eating well, working out, and watch your overall weight trend - as long as it goes down over time, that's where you need to keep your focus. Not on the day to day or even week to week fluctuations. You'll just drive yourself mad that way.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with above stated ^^^. I stay off the scale that week. Water weight, hormonal changed, ect. Just continue to eat right and all should be well.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Once you track for awhile and know what your body does it's easier not to freak out about it. For instance i know that the day before i start i will gain 2-4 pounds of water and my jeans will make me sad. . but i will lose it all between day three and four usually with another pound or so.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Agreeing with the above. Expect it. Wait it out. I typically gain around 4 pounds which goes five days later. I also find I'm more hungry during my ToM so I let myself eat a bit more than usual to avoid being hangry! I also track my weight using weightgrapher which looks at the overall trend of weight change - smoothing out water weight gains. It helps keep me sane.
  • meglet2202
    meglet2202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing myself daily since April and I've been able to see that there are actually 1.5 weeks per cycle that I barely lose anything, sometimes gaining (water weight), then 2.5 that I lose. It all evens out when I look at how much I lose per month. Remember, it's not a race. I've lost anywhere from 5-9 pounds per month.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For me, there's really nothing to "perk up" from. I'm 50 years old and have been getting my period since I was 12. It's not like the monthly bloating is something unexpected. It's just part of life. After my period, the number on the scale always drops if I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. And if it doesn't drop, it's because I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.....and that has nothing to do with my period.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I always bounce up on the scales by about 5lbs, so whenever Im on TOM I just stay away from the scales for a few days. Like you said its very disheartening to see the sudden increase. Dont worry just wait it out :)