Self Sabotage

Options
Im a self sabotager, i get all excited and then i eat crap, and even when i do lose weight i never get to my goal weight, i always start gaining weight back, i dont know why i do this, its like im not allowing myself to succeed, it sucks

Replies

• noobpaddler
    noobpaddler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too lady and many more I'd say, there's a whole 'fear of success' thing I've been looking into. I think, for me, much of it is not having good habits to fall back on when things get tough.

What are your plans for weight loss? What's worked for you before?

Pls add me if you're looking for more motivational friends
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer that people live up to (or down to) what they believe about themselves.

Change your language from "I'm a _____" to "I used to self-sabotage. Now I'm succeeding." and "I'm a success". Write it down, put it where you'll see it all the time. Say it out loud a million times a day.
  • gim101
    gim101 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the same problem. I lose a bit and then I celebrate by eating junk and end up putting it all back on again never reaching my goal weight. This is about the millionth time I have tried to lose weight in the last year, but I am determined that I am going to do it this time and I think getting into the right frame of mind is half the battle. We can both definitely do this :) Maybe we can help each other to stay on track. Feel free to add me if you want a buddy
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Maybe the issue is not that you end wrong, but that you begin wrong. A lot of people start out much too restrictive, eliminating many foods or entire food categories, often with a major emphasis on "clean" or "healthy" eating, and then when the initial enthusiasm wanes as it always does, they can't maintain their plan.

My goal this time is to make the smallest possible changes that lead to success. I eat plenty of "junk", I just plan for it and make my calories work. I plan my meals in advance so on any given day, I just need to measure out what I already planned and eat it. Lots of treats and things I love to eat, with a noted lack of foods I don't really like.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    I'm a believer that people live up to (or down to) what they believe about themselves.

Change your language from "I'm a _____" to "I used to self-sabotage. Now I'm succeeding." and "I'm a success". Write it down, put it where you'll see it all the time. Say it out loud a million times a day.
    This^^^. Excellent advice.

• gfoulds9
    gfoulds9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this might help, but maybe when you lose certain amounts you should do something which reinforces the you you want to be. Like, losing 2kg get your eyebrows shaped, 5kg new hair cut/colour, 10kg spray tan, 15kg new glasses... I've found this approach helps because you end up feeling more confident and motivated when you look in the mirror. Makes you keep pushing.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Im a self sabotager, i get all excited and then i eat crap, and even when i do lose weight i never get to my goal weight, i always start gaining weight back, i dont know why i do this, its like im not allowing myself to succeed, it sucks

The way I got over this was to view the process as a way of improving my health and body, weight loss then became a secondary thing.

If you eat the right foods, if you do exercise and maybe a bit of weight training, you will notice improvements in your health, you will fill more energy and stronger, you will become fitter.

The weight loss bit is just a side effect.
  • mbartkus1
    mbartkus1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem! I must find a way back to success
  • Denisefit4life
    Denisefit4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing start losing weight then start eating to much again. I need help.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I celebrate every day that I stay within my calorie goal with a treat (that fits in.) On two seperate days this last week (yesterday and I think Wednesday) it was a plain sundae from McDonalds. About 210 calories. Sweet and delicious (I actually prefer it without hot fudge, caramel, or that strawberry stuff). I just like my ice cream plain. Sometimes it's a bowl (weighed and accounted for) of some other ice cream at home, or another treat I enjoy that allows me to remain on track.

You don't celebrate staying on the wagon by jumping completely off. Learn to celebrate each day - with a little treat if not each day at least a couple times a week so you don't feel deprived.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You should check out Dr. Beck's Diet solution from the library. She uses congitive behavior techniques to combat self-sabotage. She even pointed out thing I did not realize WERE sabotage, like "I deserve this treat for being so good at sticking to my diet" and "I'll start tomorrow" etc. I have no affiliation to her, just check out the book. (I am not saying to buy it, but a free library rental really changed my perspective on food!)
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I do this too or used to.

I think I finally figured out that if I get right back on the train after the overeating episode, that it won't derail all my progress. I mean right back to it. Not tomorrow but the next time I eat. Don't use the episode to eat even more.

I also am trying not to be mean and nasty to myself when it happens. That definitely doesn't help me.