No Eating Day

Options
Anyone purposefully pulled a No Eating Day to make up for a bad eating day? Does it work?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done this many times... helps to shrink my stomach and then I seem to eat less the next few weeks... but eventually I go back to eating more than I should but not so bad that feel horribly guilty about it... I will usually just drink those days.... got to keep hydrated!! I don't think a fasting day here and there will hurt anyone....
    :drinker:
  • CartoonChris
    Options
    There's plenty of valid scientific reasons for having a fast day. Yours is not one of them. You can google "Eat. Stop. Eat." for info.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That's not how it works. If you have a bad day, move on and start over the next day, don't try to make up for it as you may end up doing more harm than good.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I've never not eaten to make up for a bad day, but when I was kickboxing, I'd fast the last 24 hours before weigh-in to cut the last couple of pounds. At the end of the 24 hours, I was ready to eat anything that was near my mouth. My gut feeling is that at the end of the fast, you'd feel so deprived that the plan would backfire. I say, if you have a bad day or even a bad week, just leave it in the past and start fresh today. Two wrongs don't make a right, right?
  • Lstrhi
    Lstrhi Posts: 132
    Options
    I used to be anorexic so the urge is always there, but it's definitely too risky for me.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Can't possibly work. There are lots of reasons to fast, but this isn't one of them.
  • PestoPup
    PestoPup Posts: 6
    Options
    I can't imagine that no eating would be healthy... not to mention the likelihood of a binge to make up for lack of fuel. I would say if you are feeling bad about one or two days of eating, put it in the past and start fresh. Load up on low calorie veggies and lean protein that day after a bad day... way better than not eating at all ;-)
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I had a very different experience with "no eating days" as you call them. You can check out my blog entry on it if you'd like to.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DancinSMartiPants
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like the idea. I don't think that the trick is to NOT eat the next day but to learn from our bad habits to make better decisions the next day. If you let go one day and eat an additional 500 calories (for example) I would rather see you reduce calories by 100 the next few days OR get in a really good workout.

I think having the safety net to "not eat" after a "bad" day is potentially going from one bad habit to another.
  • bcatgray
    bcatgray Posts: 41
    Options
    I would think that this is similar to getting sleep. Once you've lost that chance, it's gone. You can't make up time for lost sleep. The best you can do is start over the next day with better choices.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I think that binging, then fasting would mess up your metabolism and send your body mixed signals.
    I know that if I didn't eat for day, I'd feel sick with a migraine because of low blood sugar.
    If you go without eating for day, you might feel really poorly and then end up eating MORE the next day.
    Remember that it takes 3500 extra calories to gain even one pound. Unless you ate thousands of extra calories in one day, you didn't hurt your diet significantly.
    Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start!
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat something.

I usually just have a bigger caloric deficit the next day to get back on track.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    That's not how it works. If you have a bad day, move on and start over the next day, don't try to make up for it as you may end up doing more harm than good.

He's right. Just because you have a bad day doesn't mean you should skip eating the next. It messes your body up.
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I personally dont think its a bad idea. As long as ur not doing it a lot. I dont think I could ever do it my body wouldnt move. Make sure you drink lots and lots of water
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing this... get up and exercise to make up for your overage or spread the overage over the next several days (i.e hitting 100 under your goal until you make up for your boo boo). Not eating is Not a good idea.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Yep. And that's how I was diagnosed with bulimia.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    And fyi... It didn't work. I was stuck at the same weight for about a month, because I starving led to more bingeing and bingeing led to more starving. It's a horrible cycle.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I fast, but not for that reason. Basing your diet off of the mentality that you are punishing yourself or "making up" for a day is a nice basis for an eating disorder.
  • Va_lady32
    Va_lady32 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've tried and by the end of the day i was starving and ended up eating more than I should have. I could had just spreaded those calories throughout the day. Soo needless to say, it didnt work for me.