Best HRM?

Options
I was thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor but don't know where to start. There are so many out there and I can research FOREVER... but wanted to maybe get some reccomnedations from people who've used it and absolutely LOVES it! Thanks! ♥

Replies

• Zappa5
    Zappa5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Unless you are some crazy runner a Polar FT7 should work just fine for you.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends what you want it for, I run outside and I use a Garmin 305. I got one for £95 off ebay and it's been brilliant I highly recomend it.
  • GrowOrDie
    GrowOrDie Posts: 42
    Options
    Bump- I want a good one too.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I like my polar HRMs I actually have two because I wanted some added features for my bike after using the lesser unit for a while. FT7 seems very popular as a entry unit.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    just got the New Balance N5 and love it after one use.
  • NotaNikki
    NotaNikki Posts: 40
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 and love it so far!
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I have the Gaiam by Oregon scientific..it's purple, white and silver. I love it!!!! Plus it doesn't look like a typical HRM watch and there is no chest strap. What attracted to me to the watch was it's functions but also that is looked fun and pleasing to the eye. I work in an office and walk 3 miles aday during lunch and breaks. So it was important to me to get something fashionable. No one knows I am wearing an HRM! This one runs $99.99. Best Buy has been running it on sale for 79.99 lately.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    BARSKA HEARTRATE MONITOR $40 on http://www.kotulas.com item number 322128. I bought this one because a friend of mine is a cardiologist and recommended this. I love it!!!
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the Gaiam by Oregon scientific..it's purple, white and silver. I love it!!!! Plus it doesn't look like a typical HRM watch and there is no chest strap. What attracted to me to the watch was it's functions but also that is looked fun and pleasing to the eye. I work in an office and walk 3 miles aday during lunch and breaks. So it was important to me to get something fashionable. No one knows I am wearing an HRM! This one runs $99.99. Best Buy has been running it on sale for 79.99 lately.

So most HRM have chest straps? I'm not familiar with them... that just sounds inconvenient.
  • theMightyAnt
    Options
    I use a Suunto M2, and wouldn't be without it.
    I understand what your concerns about the chest straps but to be honest after 1 minute you've forgotten it's there.
    One of the reason's I chose the Suunto over Polar, was the reviews of the Chest strap being one of the most comfortable.
    Good luck and let us know what you choose and how it works for you.
  • charc16
    charc16 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Make sure whatever you get has a chest strap...those are most accurate. I think the Polar models are best, which many people will tell you. I have the FT4 because it was a little cheaper than the FT7 and does everything I need. I had a Timex for a few days and it WAY overestimated on my calories. But I use my Polar every day and I am pretty much obsessed with it!
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i will be doing more research but this def helps!
  • dj1958
    dj1958 Posts: 2
    Options
    Phanessa, I've been using a Polar F6 for two years now and love it. Here's a link

http://education.polarusa.com/products/fseries/f6.asp

You'll have to copy/paste the link.......
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be the most popular and I've seen some people happy with their Timex as well. If you really get serious about it you can pick up one of those $300 Garmins with GPS. Whatever you do, I couldn't recommend the Sportline brand unless you're really good at figuring out gadgets without clear instructions. That's what I have (model Duo 1060) and it has the usual watch, alarm, heart rate, calorie counter that the rest has but also includes an interval training mode, a pedometer, a fitness cooldown mode, history tracking, dual time zone setting and I think there's a pair of tweezers and toothpick somewhere in there that I haven't found yet. It's definitely complicated but I love it!
  • brazilian27
    Options
    I have polar ft60 g1 and that was the best investment I ever made!!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Polar ft60 is the way to go.

If you buy a HRM make sure it has a chest strap and also that it calculates Vo2max otherwise it will not have an accurate calorie count!!!