If there was a walk of shame for fitness/health I would be doing it right now.

Options
1Kristine1
1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
edited December 2015 in Getting Started
No one ever thinks about after the weight loss, you are so focused to lose it that once you do, you have nowhere left to go. Every calorie. Every pound. So focused it controls your life, every decision. In 2012 after nursing school I decided I would get my s*** together. I started eating better and working out and lost nearly 40lbs the right way. Kept it off for a year, then started slacking. I don't really know why...because I loved spin class, I had so much more energy, was happier healthier and stronger. I stopped counting calories or caring what I ate, stopped going to the gym and it all snowballed from there. A couple of extra pounds turned into 50. Now I am so disapointed with myself, having let myself gain the weight back. Depressed because I know how hard I worked to get it off, how difficult it was, how much I pushed myself. Lacking motivation to do anything now. Embarrassed to go back to my gym the way I am now, it's scary. I want to start somewhere. Just don't know if I have the motivation to overcome all the difficult negative feelings I have. I want to be healthy again, happy and strong. Just needed to vent this.

Replies

• CatsBeLikeMeh
    CatsBeLikeMeh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's hard isn't it. My issue is the stop/start cycle. For most of my life I was fit and healthy. It's the last 5 years I have gained the weight and in that time I have I have lost and gained the same 14lbs (I have 30 to lose)

What resonated with me in your post was not knowing how to start and fear of lack of motivation. I just read the relapse/mindfulness sticky post in 'getting started' and I have to say it was helpful :)

I have made a decision today that today is my first time doing this. By that I mean, doing it honestly. Logging everything no matter how shameful it feels. I have realised that is not being honest with myself I have no chance.

It's all too easy to make an account then delete it when you stumble (maybe just me who has done that ;) ) but I realise now that attaching such shame is not helpful. All of my 'fresh starts' cannot work whilst I am not owning accountability.

So today is my first day. Of being mindful and honest and accepting that I won't be perfect. If likeminded people are out there that want non judgemental support, feel free to add me.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It doesn't end just because you lost the weight. That's where maintenance takes over, which I think is equally if not more important. I've gotten to a comfy weight more than once, forgot all about mfp and put my food scale away and the next thing you know the moobs and gut reappear. Then back to mfp and and measuring. I'm taking maintenance seriously this time around.
  • Proguy101
    Proguy101 Posts: 55 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I did the exact same thing, and felt the exact same way as you- could have wrote your profile exactly for myself. spin class and all.
    I finally started over again (3 weeks ago) and glad I did.
    My thought is that time goes by no matter what I do ...so I might as well work towards happiness.
    ** add me if you want a fellow Albertan on your list

• janiversace
    janiversace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i agree,its difficult to remain focussed when the target goal doesnt sometimes seem to get closer as fast as you want even tho the effort is still there,thats when i get dispondant an tend to cheat,but then i try n get back on it asap and get myself to the gym,also i have found that my wieght is harder to shift so give myself a benchmark which is a pair of shorts ive had 25yrs,an as long as i can get in then regardless of my wieght i know that the goal is in sight,sometimes we gain muscle if we hit the gym more even if we dont do wieghts .so i may not reach my goal that i so want to in my head but in inches i may well exceed .maintaining i agree is another matter,which i have done exactly as others an within a year put the wieght back on,with this fitness plan tho and logging food i may stand a better chance of keeping it off,
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You did it before and you can do it again. One day at a time making changes you can sustain for a lifetime. I yoyo'd with my weight for years. I'm 62 now and finally keeping my weight in check better than I have for years. I credit MFP, the Beck Diet for Life (which is a cognitive behavioral method, not a food plan), and lots of exercise. Do it now while you still have that nice young skin. Do it now while you have years ahead of you to look awesome and feel awesome. Good luck to you!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words and advice. This will be day one, again. You're right now is the time.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Been there and done that a few times...I'm really hoping this will be the last. I've got 9lb to go, then I'm going to be doing a weekly weigh in when I hit goal, and if I go over a certain number, get back at it whilst not so daunting. You can do this, you know that. Remember how good you felt, and looked. :)
  • kinnu254
    kinnu254 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi friends... i m new to this site and i so badly need to get rid of extra kilos. like all ofu r saying..i was a yoga freak... i drank lots of water,,..did loads of asanas ...walked and played and got into an adorable shape...and then i got into this job now i am in...sedentary and loads of tensions...thats it at the end of the day i come..eat everything i lay hands on to get rid of the whole day frustration... sleep late ...wake up late....no breakfast....now my body sucks with bulging flab.. its so irritating... pls keep me motivated...i just started the journey
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been back to square one several times. I have used fad diets, WW, diet MD's all with much success and here I am again. I believe this will be the last time because I am honest with myself and earning each ounce lost through no artificial methods. My success is based purely on self acceptance and love, dedication, hard (for me this is hard) work and MFP friends. As long as MFP is here for me, I will be here for it and it's users. More or less just starting out on a long journey, I feel the best I have in many years. Proud to be taking care of myself and supporting others along the way.
  • OliverMol
    OliverMol Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You describe the situations. Try to find ways in which you just dont get to the situations.and focus heavily on what you want yourself. I need aomeone to kiss or im going to binge eat.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep showing up every day. You can do this.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    been there, this has been the third time I have dropped 45+ lbs.
    So far I am a year and a half into maintenance. You can do it again!