Second time mom back to lose the baby weight (again)

Options
Hi! Last time around I lost all the baby weight plus another 30 pounds. Breastfeeding took care of the actual pregnancy weight and I used MFP and a lot of exercise for the last 30 last time around and was thrilled. This time, I gained more while pregnant and am not losing as fast. My goal is to lose about 40 pounds. The new little one is almost 3 months old and I'm excited to get started. However, I expect it to be harder this time around because I've got diastis rectii (separated abdominal muscles) which means I've got some pretty crazy core rebuilding to do and am not allowed to do a lot of the common exercises. So my plan is to continue that physio work while monitoring what I'm eating.

Anyways, looking forward to the forums and hearing what everyone is up to

Replies

• LadyDQM
    LadyDQM Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My baby is 6 mnths old and I have not list ANY weight because breast feeding makes me SO hungry plus I'm scared to cut calories because I done want to decrease my milk supply. But I'm done with this cycle, I have to start loosing weight.
  • twentytwelve12
    twentytwelve12 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am the same. Feels harder to lose baby weight this time around. Breastfeeding got me to my pre baby weight the first time around. I'm starting again but my second is older than a few months old.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    LadyDQM wrote: »
    My baby is 6 mnths old and I have not list ANY weight because breast feeding makes me SO hungry plus I'm scared to cut calories because I done want to decrease my milk supply. But I'm done with this cycle, I have to start loosing weight.

You shouldn't worry too much about supply. Your body will steal from you to make milk. Focus on quality instead of quantity. You need to get the right nutrition so that your body doesn't steal things like calcium or iron from you but that does not mean you need to eat more to do it. If most people take a serious look at their diet they see that 75% of what they eat is calorie rich and nutrient poor. Your body can steal all the calories your baby needs from your stored fat but you need to ensure that the nutrition needs are met or that will come from your bones blood and muscle. Take a really good prenatal vitamin. Take a calcium supplement. Eat lots of fresh veggies and lean meat. Drink lots of water. Pump or feed often. If you do these things your body will supply milk that is perfect for your baby even while you are cutting calories.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm not breasfeeding so I realise I'm in a different category but I have an almost 4 month old. Last time round, I told myself I was dieting but didn't really lose anything, then when he was 9 months old I joined MFP and lost it all in 3 months. This time round I really want to have lost it all by time I go back to work ( in February!!!!) I have now lost 7lbs and have 11 to go (for prepreg, not for all my weight) I am being uber careful coz i know if i don't lose it straight away it will stay on me..

U can add me if you like...
    GOod luck
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    LadyDQM wrote: »

What i was successful with last time around was adding an extra meal called "breastfeeding" to my diary. Then in there, I searched the database for a breastfeeding entry at - 500 (for an exclusively breastfeeding infant) calories to make sure I'm eating back those calories. When we introduce solids, I'll change that entry. I overproduce, so a reduction in supply isn't a concern, but if you've got existing supply concerns you'll want to make sure you're eating back those calories. If your supply decreases you'll need to up that. Make sure you measure this based on baby weight gain, wet diapers etc., instead of how long the baby is latched because they get pretty efficient later on and don't need to latch for long.

Note that on mobile the -500 doesn't subtract off so that diary completed total is wrong. Basically, on my laptop I look fit it to hit zero, but on my phone I want it to say I'm at 500 extra calories. Annoying, but workable.