Alcohol

Options
I tried google but I get so much mixed information. Maybe someone with some experience could help me out. I drink once a week to once every two weeks. When I do drink it is usually only 1 or 2 drinks with a total of 348 calories for two. I am being told by people that even counting the calories from the alcohol and staying at a deficit I still won't lose weight. I haven't had trouble losing weight so far but I also completely stopped drinking. Wondering if those 2 drinks a week will really stop the weight loss that much and if so why?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem as long as I count the calories.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I tried google but I get so much mixed information. Maybe someone with some experience could help me out. I drink once a week to once every two weeks. When I do drink it is usually only 1 or 2 drinks with a total of 348 calories for two. I am being told by people that even counting the calories from the alcohol and staying at a deficit I still won't lose weight. I haven't had trouble losing weight so far but I also completely stopped drinking. Wondering if those 2 drinks a week will really stop the weight loss that much and if so why?

The bold is nonsense :)

As long as you are accounting for the calories, you're good!

For some people, drinking alcohol has an affect on the water weight in their body - some people retain more water, others lose a bunch - but it only will affect your weight loss if you're going over your maintenance calories.

You're good unless you end up with the munchies and eat too much while drinking.

~Lyssa
  • SephoraStormshine
    Options
    Thank you I was just wondering (: none of the people telling me this could explain the science or reasoning of the claim so I was wondering if it was true or not.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight wile still enjoying the occasional drink, as long as it was in my calories. The problem was when I was enjoying lots of drinks and no longer in a deficit.
  • SephoraStormshine
    Options
    Thanks everyone (: I am glad to know I can still go out with friends and have a drink! Thanks so much
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Alcohol consumption completely shuts down fat burning for 48-72 hours while your liver works full time detoxifyin the toxin. You could still lose weight in a calorie deficit, but it would not be fat, but would be from muscle. Ie: you get fatter.
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink (probably too) regularly and have had no problem. I count the calories and move on. I do see some temporary water retention if I have a particularly good time, but it's gone in a day or two. Cheers!
  • jsanderson78
    jsanderson78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found that a couple beers helps get me to my calorie goals for the day without jacking up any other numbers im aiming for better than anything does. My calories will be just over 1000 for the day, aiming for closer to 1200, add two beers after dinner and I'm right where I need to be without sending my sodium or fat or anything else through the roof!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have found that a couple beers helps get me to my calorie goals for the day without jacking up any other numbers im aiming for better than anything does. My calories will be just over 1000 for the day, aiming for closer to 1200, add two beers after dinner and I'm right where I need to be without sending my sodium or fat or anything else through the roof!

The point of a minimum calorie goal, such as the 1200 per day recommended for most women, is to ensure you're getting adequate NUTRITION for your body's needs. Alcohol has no nutrition. Therefore it is of no value towards netting your minimum caloric/nutritional needs. You're kidding yourself big time.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thank you I was just wondering (: none of the people telling me this could explain the science or reasoning of the claim so I was wondering if it was true or not.

I have a few drinks every weekend and in a Wednesday night......I still lose fat easy! Really what they mean is while you are drinking your body will only burn the alcohol as energy as its a poison to our bodies and it needs to burn it off first....so if you eat as you are drinking the primary source of energy will be the alcohol, everything else will go on the back burner till the alcohol calories are burnt!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    That's as in the actual spirit alcohol not the mixer that it's in
  • twentytwelve12
    twentytwelve12 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I reckon I maintained weight when drinking a couple each week.