Is Tai-Chi exercise??

Options
I notice these days that yoga is extremely popular... I enjoy tai-chi because #1- There is a local teacher #2- It is mainly focusing on fall prevention and slowing down our lives. My life is pretty busy most of the time, so I enjoy this practice.... How does this compare to yoga? Why is there not a blog about the benefits of martial arts like tai-chi??

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    While not a big calorie burn (much like most yoga variations), it's still exercise. Like yoga, it's a good complement to the usual cardio and strength training. Way back in the dark ages when I did a lot of inline skate racing (another sport that's sadly fallen out of the mainstream), I did a lot of t'ai chi to help with my balance. Good stuff.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Yes its exercise/ Tai chi is a moving meditation. I take Yin Yoga which is also different from Hatha Yoga...you cant try them all and choose what you like
  • Dwjenready2lose
    Dwjenready2lose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I been doing Tai chi for 5 years! and abslutly have Lost weight on it! Especially Taijifit people! Great exercise! x
  • gunrock1970
    gunrock1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't know about anyone else, but I found if you exercise the amount of control that you need to, to correctly get through the first half dozen forms in Sun-style Tai-chi a few times in one session, you should get a decent sweat and if you're new to exercise, perhaps even some DOMS the following day.

With the one leg bent, supporting all your weight, placing your other foot down without relying on gravity can be pretty tough work!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It can be a good workout but as others have said it isn't a big calorie burner. You can lose weight sitting on the couch as long as you're in a deficit so don't worry about it that much, if you enjoy it and you see benefits from it, just keep doing it.