Weight lifting routine

Options
I've been following a routine to build muscle mass by lifting heavy and never working the same muscle group more than once a week. My schedule is:

Day 1 - Chest & Biceps
Day 2 - Cardiovascular, Abs
Day 3 - Legs
Day 4 - Back & Triceps
Day 5 - Rest / Cardio
Day 6 - Shoulders, Cardio, Abs
Day 7 - Rest / Cardio

My question is that I'm not sure that I'm working the muscle as hard as I should during that once a week time. For instance, when doing Chest I'll do Incline Press, Butterfly, Regular Bench... and sometimes Decline if I have a spotter. I do 4 sets of each in a format of 12x 10x 8x 6x, increasing weight each set.

Should I be doing more exercises per muscle group?

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting to failure with each one?

I know I'm a girl and my opinion probably doesn't mean much. lol
  • ajricketts
    ajricketts Posts: 32
    Options
    Are you struggling to get the weight up on the last few reps? That is the only way I can think of to be able to tell. The last two reps of each set and of each exercise should be a struggle. If not, add more weight!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'd drop the reps on your first two sets. if you want to lift 'heavy' then keep your rep range between 5-8 reps

you say you're doing approx 16 sets for chest. that's almost on the high side.

i guess the first question would be what makes you think you're not working your muscles as hard as you should?
  • kristy_estes21
    Options
    Are you struggling to get the weight up on the last few reps? That is the only way I can think of to be able to tell. The last two reps of each set and of each exercise should be a struggle. If not, add more weight!

What he said... :)

Also, maybe you could throw in a couple machines too. I'm not sure if that would help at all. Obviously free weights are best (in my opinion), but you could also do a machine here and there for some variety. Also, you could do some push-ups between sets or something.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

judging by your pic Kristy you look like you know exactly what you're doing and anyone thinking your opinion doesn't mean much would be sorely mistaken.
  • kristy_estes21
    Options

judging by your pic Kristy you look like you know exactly what you're doing and anyone thinking your opinion doesn't mean much would be sorely mistaken.

LOL Well thanks. I mean, I know guys' workouts are a LITTLE more intense. ;) Just throwing in my two cents. Jamie Eason is all about some drop sets too so they are definitely a good addition.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into different workout plans to follow? I have been following the New Rules of Lifting (A book you can find at the library or bookstore cheap) and it breaks up the routines for you. Always lifting to the point of failure but sometimes you will be doing 5 sets of 6 reps and others you will be doing 2 sets of 25 reps.

That is a drastic under-representation of the information that goes into the routines.. I would suggest checking that book out to any and everyone.
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    You say you're lifting heavy but if you can do 12 reps of anything, you're not lifting heavy enough. Max out on 8-10 reps. Other than that it looks good.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You're ok. Some don't, but I like to try to hit the muscle from every angle. Like if you were doing bi's, you would do wide grip, close grip, regular curls, (or a variation of) and maybe a cable flex curl. that way you get outter, inner, and peak. That's just me though ;-) When you do incline, decline, flat, and maybe flys, you hit the chest from multiple angles!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I would say you could be making your life a lot more difficult than it could be. If perform more compound exercises, you do more with less. I follow this program:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I have been doing this for 3 months and have already started to see muscle and strength gains.
  • wreckage
    wreckage Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm increasing my weight pretty steadily and the last few reps are always hard to complete... without the point where I have to drop the weights.
  • wreckage
    Options
    I'd drop the reps on your first two sets. if you want to lift 'heavy' then keep your rep range between 5-8 reps

you say you're doing approx 16 sets for chest. that's almost on the high side.

i guess the first question would be what makes you think you're not working your muscles as hard as you should?

I was doing 10-8-6-6, using the first set as a warm-up, but only recently moved it up to the 12-10-8-6. 16 sets for chest is pretty rare, as I feel like a wet noodle after the 12th set... I just try to sneak in decline presses every few weeks.

Nothing really makes me feel like I'm not working as hard as I should. I'm able to do more weight and whatnot, I just more wanted to make sure that I'm not 1/2 assing the weight lifting area of my fitness routine.

I started following this plan: http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/28b_fitness_tip.html , I'll probably move back down to 10-8-6-6 tonight and slightly increase weight.
  • wreckage
    Options
    Also, thank you everyone for all the replies =)
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    I would make your rest just rest days. You do not need to do cardio on those days and you may actually be defeating yourself by doing it. Also, as long as you are lifting at least 3 times a week you are not getting any real heart/health benefits by doing the extra work.

Also, unless you a juicing, I would drop the small muscle group exercises. Your biceps and triceps will get plenty of work doing major muscle group lifts like dead lifts, squats, bench, etc.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I've been following a routine to build muscle mass by lifting heavy and never working the same muscle group more than once a week. My schedule is:

Day 1 - Chest & Biceps
    Day 2 - Cardiovascular, Abs
    Day 3 - Legs
    Day 4 - Back & Triceps
    Day 5 - Rest / Cardio
    Day 6 - Shoulders, Cardio, Abs
    Day 7 - Rest / Cardio

My question is that I'm not sure that I'm working the muscle as hard as I should during that once a week time. For instance, when doing Chest I'll do Incline Press, Butterfly, Regular Bench... and sometimes Decline if I have a spotter. I do 4 sets of each in a format of 12x 10x 8x 6x, increasing weight each set.

Should I be doing more exercises per muscle group?

Your initial statement and plan contradict one another. You want to build muscle mass, but you are doing a bodybuilding split routine. So I have to ask, do you want to get stronger or just look stronger? What is your current squat, bench and deadlift stats (free weight no smiths)?

Depending on your stats and if you want to actually get significantly stronger I would recommend one of the following programs:
    StrongLifts - If you squat less than your body weight
    Madcow – If you squat more than your body weight
    5/3/1 – Only after you have put in time on an intermediate 5x5 program like Madcow or Texas method.

Powerlifters are stronger than bodybuilders, so if strength and mass are your goals than do a PL program like one I provided. If you just want to look strong, do a BB split routine.
  • wreckage
    Options
    I would make your rest just rest days. You do not need to do cardio on those days and you may actually be defeating yourself by doing it. Also, as long as you are lifting at least 3 times a week you are not getting any real heart/health benefits by doing the extra work.

Also, unless you a juicing, I would drop the small muscle group exercises. Your biceps and triceps will get plenty of work doing major muscle group lifts like dead lifts, squats, bench, etc.

Triceps I only do overhead, and kickback. I recently added another exercise to my biceps and I'm doing Concentration curl, hammer curl and incline curl. Would you recommend me cutting my biceps back to only 2 exercises? I know when I'm doing back it's hits my biceps too.

I'm working with bowflex selecttechs, so I'm limited to the exercises I can actually do with these. I'm trying to use the hell out of them before admitting to wasting money on home gym equipment and not just joining a gym.
  • End6ame
    Options

Triceps I only do overhead, and kickback. I recently added another exercise to my biceps and I'm doing Concentration curl, hammer curl and incline curl. Would you recommend me cutting my biceps back to only 2 exercises? I know when I'm doing back it's hits my biceps too.

I'm working with bowflex selecttechs, so I'm limited to the exercises I can actually do with these. I'm trying to use the hell out of them before admitting to wasting money on home gym equipment and not just joining a gym.

Sell you Bowflex and buy a power rack, bench, and an Olympic weight set, it would cost less than $1k and would be more effective.
  • wreckage
    Options

Sell you Bowflex and buy a power rack, bench, and an Olympic weight set, it would cost less than $1k and would be more effective.

Yeah, it was more of a space issue than anything. 2 dumbells and 1 bench seemed like a good idea at the time.
  • End6ame
    Options
    In 12 months time (It was actually 15 months. I was on a program for 6 months, fell off the wagon, moved, changed jobs etc… then was back on for 6 months.) I went from lifting practically nothing to the numbers in my signature using StrongLifts 5x5 alone; as laid out, no modification. If strength is what you want, you will get more and get it faster with this program. Then once you can’t make day-to-day increases in weight and your squat is above your body weight, switch to Madcow. If you are consistent, the combination of SL and Madcow should provide you programming and strength gains for well over a year.