What is zig-zagging??

Options
Does anyone know what this is? I think it has to do with calorie intake?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's when you alter your course every thousand yards or so to avoid torpedoes.
  • KristofferN
    Options
    Ok here is my attempt to explain the “zig zag” approach of losing weight…..(it does work very well if done correctly, I have lost 17 lbs of fat and gained 2 lbs of muscle doing it in almost 3 months time). There are a few ways to do the “Zig Zag” but I will stick with the one that I am using now. First find out what your daily maintenance calorie intake should be (this is the calorie level your body needs just to live off of and not to gain weight or loss weight). Once you know the maintenance level you need cut that number by about 300-400 calories. This is your “Low” zig zag amount, I use this amount on days I don’t workout. This forces your body to use fat to get its energy needs (don’t go too much less than 300-400 calorie drop, your body will start to slow down it’s metabolism rate and that is BAD). To get the “high” zig zag amount just add 300-400 calories to your maintenance level. I use this amounts on days I workout. Here is an example of a zig zag weekly schedule (without working out) Monday – LOW, Tuesday – LOW, Wednesday – HIGH, Thursday – LOW, Friday – LOW, Saturday – a 300 calorie higher HIGH (use this day to eat a cheat meal) Sunday – Maintenance level. Like I said there are many different ways and this is just one basic schedule. Hope it helped.
  • warphoenix
    warphoenix Posts: 47
    Options
    Here is a post to check out about it

TOPIC: How to zig zag cals properly/caloric cycling properly by Newfiedan
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212510-how-to-zig-zag-cals-properly-caloric-cycling-properly
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Zig-zagging is when you take your weekly alotment of calories for example

1400 daily X 7 days =9800 calories a week

and then they split them up into different intervals. so instead of having 1400 daily you would have something like this

1200 monday
    1500 tuesday
    1300 wednesday
    1700 thursday
    1400 Friday
    1200 Saturday
    1500 sunday

You would then play you High days on days that you had something extra going on like a work party or a birthday or a weekend out.
  • clala82
    clala82 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    Yep, its about your calorie intake. I lost 20 pounds (sadly gained it back, but thats another story...) doing it.
    I was using this website: http://www.naturalphysiques.com/64/zig-zag-calculator-for-fat-loss-andor-muscle-gain

It was also helpful for me to "switch" days. So if I had an 1800 calorie day on Wed but only a 1200 on Friday, but Friday is when I had a big night out planned, I would switch the days.

Hope that helps!
  • nicole716
    nicole716 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • warphoenix
    warphoenix Posts: 47
    Options
    Zig Zagging is a great plateau breaker. I've also found that taking in maintence calories over a period of a week or so and then going into hardcore weight loss mode helps with plateaus as well.
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's when you alter your course every thousand yards or so to avoid torpedoes.
    win
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • northernlights907
    Options
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It's really effective in helping to break plateau's.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've heard of this and it's a marvellous revelation! I've struggled some days with ups and downs but this will help me overcome the disheartened feeling I get on bad days and stop me from wanting to just pack the whole thing in and give up (which I've felt like lately).

Thanks!! :)