Almond Milk

Options
I see a lot of people on MFP use Almond Milk instead of regular old Skim Milk.

What's the difference, and is it lower in calories???

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Almond milk comes from almonds. Regular old Skim Milk comes from cows.

Almond is about 40 cals, 1g protein, 2g carbs, 4g fat per cup;
    Skim is about 90 cals, 9g protein, 13g carbs, 0g fat per cup.
    source: MFP database (take with a grain of salt)

Almond milk has a nice flavor, and people often use it instead of water or milk for protein shakes.
    Skim milk is more nutritious in terms of providing protein & carbs. Not sure about vitamins & minerals.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have never had Almond Milk (that I know of)... how does it taste?
  • meliffy18
    meliffy18 Posts: 13
    Options
    I personally use almond milk instead of skim milk to avoid all the hormones that are in cow's milk. It's a little thinner than regular skim milk but it satisfies my cravings for something creamy. I love the unsweetened vanilla!
  • thisismynewmindset
    Options
    And when it comes down to it... which is better for weight loss?? I mean skim milk seems to have less fat and more protein, so why opt for Almond Milk?
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Milk (original sweetened) which I discovered once I joined MFP. I'm fine with skim but prefer almond milk for some cereals and smoothies/protein shakes. It's also a great alternative if you are lactose intolerate which I am not but I know many who are.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    almond milk is easier for me to drink (cow milk gives me stomach issues)
    almond milk has more calcium per cup than cow milk
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    And when it comes down to it... which is better for weight loss?? I mean skim milk seems to have less fat and more protein, so why opt for Almond Milk?

Here are some reasons why one would choose Almond milk over skim milk: lactose intolerance issues, animal cruelty (dairy cows), vegan's don't drink milk, Almond milk is lower in calories.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk instead of skim to avoid carbs and calories. I'd rather allocate them other places if I'm going to use them.

They have different flavors. The vanilla almond milk tastes like almonds, but sweet. The unsweetened has a faint taste of almonds. I really like it.
  • PhoenyxRising
    PhoenyxRising Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to use soy simply because I don't care for cow's milk and the rest of my family drinks whole milk which is loaded with fat. Someone suggested the almond milk to me and I am hooked! Its great just by itself, in cereal, and with a little sugar free chocolate syrup to kill the chocolate cravings. I also use almond milk when I cook- I mix it into mashed potatoes, make smoothies with it, bake- it works the same as milk and is healthier. :)
  • pamarnold
    pamarnold Posts: 36
    Options
    I have NEVER liked the taste of milk (whether it be whole, skim, 2%...). Then my doctor told me that I was in the early stages of Osteoporosis due to lack of calcium (because I don't like cheeses either). She recommended Silk Almond milk. I tried it and LOVED IT!!!! Now I get my daily dose of calcium, my skin looks better (it was really pale and not very elastic), and I enjoy the taste. My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Almond Milk (Silk brand). It has 120 cals (vs. 190 in 2% chocolate milk), 0 g. sat. fat (vs. 3 g.), 0 mg. Cholesterol (vs. 20 mg), calcium 45% DV per serving (vs. 25% DV), vitamin C 35% DV (vs. 0%), and Vitamin E 50% DV (vs. 0%). I am taking these nutrient values directly off the label. Plus, because it's dark chocolate, it's heart healthy. My mother and I have pretty much the same genetics. She, too, has a hard time losing weight. She consulted a genetic doctor and the first change he made in her diet was to remove milk and add Silk. There are also plain, vanilla, lite, and milk chocolate flavors. Hope this helps!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Almond because it has less carbs and calories. It has a nutty, creamy flavor which is a nice change from milk. It is about 2 bucks a carton in Alaska so it is probly cheaper in the states, try it out!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I am a vegetarian and don't drink cow's milk. I drink rice milk on occasion. It's really just a matter of preference. I hate the Silk brand, too thick and gloppy for my taste. I prefer Blue Diamond
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i bought some today as im trying dairy free for a few days. Its ok but no better tasting than(sweetened) soya or rice milk, and i dont know about other countries, but here it was 3 times the price of soya milk, which is already more expensive than normal cows milk. £3.45 ($5.60) for a litre!! Also less protein in it than cow or soya
  • pamarnold
    pamarnold Posts: 36
    Options
    Marie:
    Might I suggest the dark chocolate flavor of Silk Almond Milk? That definitely curbs the chocolate craving without the added empty calories of the chocolate syrup. Even when something is advertised as "sugar-free", there is always something in it that our bodies turn into sugar (usually something ending in "ose" such as sucrolose, fructose, etc.). During a "certain" time of the month, I CRAVE chocolate UNCONTROLLABLY... I've learned that I can take 2 sips (not even a whole glass) of dark chocolate almond milk and my craving is gone.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened Almond milk for my protein shakes... I love the creamy taste it has. For cereal and if I drink milk with dinner I will just use regular skim.
  • flabwillbefab
    Options
    I see a lot of people on MFP use Almond Milk instead of regular old Skim Milk.

What's the difference, and is it lower in calories???
    my man is alergic to real milk, so we always had soy milk in the house,,yark,,,,,, bu ti tell you, that almond milk, specially the chocolateone, is tasty!!! taste wise, its wayyyyyy better!!!
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I have dairy allergies - Blue Diamond Vanilla unsweetened almond milk is only 40 cals for 1 cup :)
    It's really delicious.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (I will, on the rare occasion, eat fish though) but I try to eat vegan as much as possible, so I try to stay away from dairy. Dairy makes me sluggish. So I often use almond milk or soy milk instead of cow's milk. But I try to buy calcium/vitamin D fortified as much as possible.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We have both cows milk and almond/soy milk in our house. My daughter and I drink 1% cows milk and my husband and son have digestive issues when they have cows milk so they drink soy/almond. My husbands favorite is Silk vanilla almond and more recently he discovered Silk coconut milk and fell in love. I like the dark chocolate almond milk, its really good and curbs the chocolate cravings.
  • thisismynewmindset
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone!! I think today after work I will go out and buy my first carton of almond milk!!! I am actually quite excited!!!