All women who lift advice please!

Options
I have just started weight lifting but honestly I have absolutely no clue what I am doing.

My routine is :

Monday Arms (8 reps x 3)
Bench press (dumbells) 5kg
Dumbell row 5kg
Shoulder press 5Kg
Bicep curls 5kg
Lying tricep extension 5kg
20 minutes cardio (Treadmill Speed 6.2kmph no incline)

Tuesday Legs (8 reps x 3)
Barbell squat 25kg
Stiff leg deadlift barbell 25kg
Leg extensions 10 Kg (using dumbell)
Leg curls 5kg (using dumbell)
Standing calf raise 5kg
10 minutes of abs

Wednesday rest - cardio only (Treadmill 35-40min, Speed 6.2kmph no incline)

Thursday Arms (8 reps x 3)
Tricep dips
Dumbell lateral raise 5kg
Overhead tricep kickback 5Kg
Bicep curls 5kg

Friday Legs (8 reps x 3)
Barbell Deadlift 25kg
Lunges 5kg
Standing calf raise 5kg
Back extensions
10 minutes of abs

I am doing this all at home with the equipment I have as I cannot afford gym. Weights I have chosen is because my muscles are fatigued by the 8th rep - I am looking to increase as I get stronger.

My goals are to lose weight (have 20kgs to lose) but I also want to have defined strong muscles. Any pointers? As you can see I am clueless, please help!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Could you list the equipment that you have? (Be specific with the weights of your dumbbells please.)
  • harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would actually recommend a strength training program if you think you are clueless. New Rules of Lifting for Women is pretty good - it gives proper explanations for all the moves and you can do those workouts at home, with minimum equipment.
    Reading the book actually gives you the feeling that you KNOW what you are doing and it comes with workout charts you can print so you can log the weight you use and track your progress.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What equipment do you have?
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Here is a pic

gtg1s4zqa35c.png

So its ones you can add your own weight to as you progress

I have weights from 1.25kg up to 25kg (doubles of each so you can put one on each end) Any exercises I put on here without a weight next to it are ones I do with no weights

Again as you can see I am clueless so I really don't mind - all info, tips or comments appreciated!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Follow an established program. Otherwise, some areas will be worked, some won't. New Rules of Lifting for Women, as mentioned above, may be your best best. Note that most programs incorporate the following:

A horizontal press (i.e. bench press)
    A horizontal pull (i.e. row)
    A vertical press (i.e. overhead press)
    A vertical pull (i.e. chin-up--assisted or other)
    Back posterior chain (lower back, hamstrings, glues, calves, i.e. deadlift)
    Front/legs/quads (i.e. squats)

Accessories as needed are generally incorporated to emphasize working specific areas to overcome plateaus or "trouble spots" that are weaker, in order to progress on the above, like bicep curls, triceps, calves, hip flexibility exercises, calves, delts, upper shoulder area....). But if you don't know what you're doing, you're wasting a lot of time and may end up with an imbalanced plan.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will third the suggestion for NROLFW. It is a good intro to lifting and will provide you good guidance for programming. It also has a really good reference section that shows lots of different exercises and how they are properly done.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Ladies, must order my book asap!
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will fourth the suggestion for NROLFW. That is how I got started. It is great for getting you started on your first program, especially because it has pictures showing how to do each exercise it tells you to perform. It also has a great section talking about nutrition, as well as a section debunking the "women get bulky" issue a lot of women have about lifting... although, you don't sound like you have that issue.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Just be careful with your eating. I personally thought I would be more hungry doing cardio but I would eat the hind leg off a donkey after lifting. Just be mindful of this and plan your foods!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Like others here I suggest following a program instead of making up one of your own, there are several out there. New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves, Strong Lifts, etc.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I will third the suggestion for NROLFW. It is a good intro to lifting and will provide you good guidance for programming. It also has a really good reference section that shows lots of different exercises and how they are properly done.

I would also suggest NROL4W. I just finished the program and loved it. And you should be able to perform the exercises with the equipment that you have.

There is also a NROL4W group here on MFP that has been helpful throughout the program.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I would also suggest NROL4W. I just finished the program and loved it. And you should be able to perform the exercises with the equipment that you have.

There is also a NROL4W group here on MFP that has been helpful throughout the program.

Link please!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to buy the males version!! It's says lift like a man but then changes the workouts lol so go buy the mans version then you will be in your way to a great body!!
  • dherman201
    dherman201 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of cross fit videos about lifting with very detailed instructions. I can't stress enough how important it is to lift correctly
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    dherman201 wrote: »
    There are a lot of cross fit videos about lifting with very detailed instructions. I can't stress enough how important it is to lift correctly

Also lots of non-cross fit videos haha. You tube videos are a good idea for tips on form and pointers though. As some of the others have said, you're new to lifting so pick an established plan for beginners (why would you make your own when there are so many decent free ones out there that are written by people with a lot more experience). I'd look for a full body program 2-4 times per week including lots of compound (multi muscle) lifts.

• maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I agree with the sentiments many others have said, such as following a weight training program based on your goals. For instance, you may want to follow a different routine if your focus is powerlifting rather than body building. Also, be sure to do proper mobility work and warm ups, especially based on the muscle group your are focusing on working. Omar Isuf is a youtuber/powerlifter who gives a lot of good advice in terms of mobility.

Omarisuf's Channel: https://youtube.com/user/OmarIsuf

Also, accessory work, such as front squats and rotational pushups can be important to making gains too.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »

Link please!

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Or just go to Groups and search "New Rules of Lifting for Women."
  • baldrick5000
    baldrick5000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can I recommend Fitness Blender once you become confident with your lifting and form? They have a channel on YouTube and a very supportive community via the usual social media channels.

I'm slowly but very surely becoming stronger and smashing goals with thanks to them. :)