Need help on what to eat

Options
Just started working out this week.. I plan to work out 5 days a week with thirty minutes or cardio and then strength training but i want shed many lbs in my middle . what diet is best with out starving myself to drop these lbs.. Am 220 and 5 ft want to lose 40 in 3 months

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you like, with enough protein and fat, at a reasonable deficit.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally eat but less of it. You can eat "clean" or you can eat "dirty" as long as you're eating in a deficit you should lose weight.

This is a good thread for weight loss beginners:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    First of all, 40lbs in 3 months is a bit exteme, that would be about 3lbs/week if losing at a consistent rate which rarely ever happens. Secondly, i would consider looking into a strength training program like New Rules of LIfting for Women or Strong or Strong Curves. Third, just put your information into MFP with a weight loss goal of 1-2lbs/week and eat what it says plus 50% of exercise calories.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    40 pounds in 3 months is probably a bit too high to do safely and typically you won't find too many people on here recommending that. I would recommend plugging your stats into MFP at a rate of 1 pound per week. Yes this seems low, but the value you will get for the 2 pounds per week will probably lead to falling off the wagon because it is so restrictive (typically it gives ~1200 cal). Weigh and log everything you eat/drink. If you stick to it you will lose. May not be as much as you want given the time constraints, but slow weight loss is more effective and longer lasting than fast weight loss.
  • Antoinettemann
    Antoinettemann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yea maybe my goal should be 20 in three months or 25 lbs.. Thanks very helpful.. Everyone.. Its Moderation i see.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Just started working out this week.. I plan to work out 5 days a week with thirty minutes or cardio and then strength training but i want shed many lbs in my middle . what diet is best with out starving myself to drop these lbs.. Am 220 and 5 ft want to lose 40 in 3 months

Your goal is lose more than 3 lbs per week. The only way to do this is going to require a lot of "starving" (persistant hunger throughout the day). I would not recommend that and instead take a step back set your calorie goal to lose between 1 to 1.5 lbs per week and take a long term view.

Make sure you have set a reasonable fat and protein intake because MFP tends to recommend a high carb intake which typically exacerbates hunger issues.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

I had seen this post before. I like the term "personal food routine". Definitely a good long term plan.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Set a more resonable goal of not more than 2 lbs a week... 1 lb is pretty reasonable if you have less than 50 lbs to lose. Eat any food you like that fits your calorie goal. Foods with protein, fats and fiber can help you feel more satisfied.
    Yea maybe my goal should be 20 in three months or 25 lbs.. Thanks very helpful.. Everyone.. Its Moderation i see.

That is a more realistic and healthy goal. Good luck to you!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    MFP can help you understand your eating habits, just from the act of logging everything you eat. Eat the way you normally do, weighing everything for a week, and see what you discover. You'll likely find you are eating less just because you don't want to log it! LOL.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy a big meal, can I suggest veggies... They are amazing.