Hotel Front Desk Job--Ideas for Getting Moving at Work?

Options
I work at a two story hotel where my job is highly sedentary. For 9 hours a day I am sitting around at the front desk doing nothing. When I am home, I am busy with chores and trying to fit in small exercises here and there. But at home I have lots of distractions and want to spend as much time with my fiance and roommates as possible. So 9 hour work shifts seem like the ideal time to find a way to get moving. I can't leave the front lobby but I have large office available where no one can see me to do stuff in. Throw some ideas at me people! I am not very physically capable anymore so it needs to be basic things that I can work on and get stronger from doing so I can really begin to exercise more!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    so 9 hour work shifts seem like the ideal time to find a way to get moving.

Well, the way I see it, there are 15 other hours in the day and I would imagine that one of those nonWork15 would be a more ideal time to get moving, but hey, you do you. if hanging out with roomies is more important than getting in shape to you, who am i to judge?
  • feedasaurusrex
    feedasaurusrex Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not that it is more important to hang out that exercise. I simply have a boring job where I am not busy at all. It seems to be to be a great way to pass time and fit in exercising at the same time. For someone that is literally just starting on trying to get in better shape I was just trying to get ideas for turning a sedentary job into a more active time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    As someone else on another similar post said - When you decide that it's a priority, you'll find a way to make it happen. If you can't fit in 30 minutes at least 3 days a week, then I guess it's not something you want bad enough.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. When the weather is nasty, I walk laps around the inside of my house. It's a small house and I have walked ~6 miles a day before.

If the lobby is empty/no customers, could you do something similar?
  • feedasaurusrex
    feedasaurusrex Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    007Aggie wrote: »
    I'm a stay at home mom. When the weather is nasty, I walk laps around the inside of my house. It's a small house and I have walked ~6 miles a day before.

If the lobby is empty/no customers, could you do something similar?

Yep! I have been doing that the last week or so! I fit time into my other 15 hours of the day to do exercises and go for walks/jogs in the morning. I just wanted to find some new ideas for moving around at work and not just sitting there!
  • bussyfeso
    bussyfeso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can try squats. Maybe try 500 in d 9hrs. You don't have to do everything at once. You get to burn calories while toning ur lower body.
  • Ryan0013
    Ryan0013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Well, the way I see it, there are 15 other hours in the day and I would imagine that one of those nonWork15 would be a more ideal time to get moving, but hey, you do you. if hanging out with roomies is more important than getting in shape to you, who am i to judge?

Way to be motivational
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Don't you have to wear a uniform for that job? I can't imagine trying to workout in a back office, during a shift, in a uniform.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Ryan0013 wrote: »

Way to be motivational

It's the truth though. I find that the truth tends to be pretty motivational.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ryan0013 wrote: »

Way to be motivational

Way to give constructive criticism
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You can do squats, split jumps, burpees, pushups, and if you really want to get your cardio going, buy a skipping rope. But like some have said, if you really want to find time at home, you can find the time. Nobody doesn't even have 20 minutes three time a week to do some sort of exercise. Now do you work 7 days a week? If not, you can find time on your days off. I work 10 hour days 5 days a week and sometimes on Weekends. I'm married with two daughters that are in sports five days out of the week and my wife and I still have the time to run 4 days a week and box the other two with one day off. I don't want to sound negative but I get annoyed when people say they don't have time to exercise. It's just an excuse not to do anything and you can find the time if you really want to. Good luck to you and hope you can find the time to get motivated.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I work at a two story hotel where my job is highly sedentary. For 9 hours a day I am sitting around at the front desk doing nothing. When I am home, I am busy with chores and trying to fit in small exercises here and there. But at home I have lots of distractions and want to spend as much time with my fiance and roommates as possible. So 9 hour work shifts seem like the ideal time to find a way to get moving. I can't leave the front lobby but I have large office available where no one can see me to do stuff in. Throw some ideas at me people! I am not very physically capable anymore so it needs to be basic things that I can work on and get stronger from doing so I can really begin to exercise more!

stand at the front desk instead of sitting...?

you can do bodyweight stuff when you have no customers, but as others have mentioned, you're at work to work, I am not sure your employers would be too happy to see you doing exercise when they are paying you to work?

walk on your lunchbreak and do a half an hour workout when you get home 3 x a week.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    You can do squats, split jumps, burpees, pushups, and if you really want to get your cardio going, buy a skipping rope. But like some have said, if you really want to find time at home, you can find the time. Nobody doesn't even have 20 minutes three time a week to do some sort of exercise. Now do you work 7 days a week? If not, you can find time on your days off. I work 10 hour days 5 days a week and sometimes on Weekends. I'm married with two daughters that are in sports five days out of the week and my wife and I still have the time to run 4 days a week and box the other two with one day off. I don't want to sound negative but I get annoyed when people say they don't have time to exercise. It's just an excuse not to do anything and you can find the time if you really want to. Good luck to you and hope you can find the time to get motivated.

The OP said she DOES have time, and is looking for suggestions on how to best USE that time.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Are there stairs? Walk up and down the stairs on you break/lunch.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    @feedasaurusrex , you mentioned you're not very physically capable. Try doing chair yoga in your office. It won't burn extra calories, but it'll help get you more loosened up for other exercises, and I find it helps me mentally, too. The one I like is on youtube, and it's called Gentle Chair Yoga Routine, posted by Cara Kircher.

You can do some light weightlifting, too. Keep a few cans of food or bottles of water in your office, along with a bag that has handles.

You already know about walking around, but you can also walk in place inside your office (or even behind the front desk if there's nobody around). When you're able to get away from the desk, walk up and down the stairs.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I spent 30+ years working in hotels, LOVE it! At one point I worked in a reservations office with 3 other women. We sat at our desks, answering phones 8 hours a day in our uniforms. The longer we sat, the lazier we felt.

We got two 10-15 minute breaks in addition to our lunch breaks so I started a mini exercise program for us. We took turns leading others in jumping jacks, stepping high, stretching and generally jumping around and laughing. Is there a way you can invite others from nearby departments to join in? You can also take walks up and down the stairs during breaks.

By the way, management was so supportive of my little break.program that I was awarded Employee of the Year, out of over 300 emoyees. I hope your bosses will be encouraging also.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You have received some great suggestions already. Another thing that might seem insignificant, but can really add up, is using ANY excuse to get up and move around...I work in the front office of a manufacturing plant, and there are not as many limitations for me (I can leave the main office areas), I just try to operate in the mindset of wanting to move, rather than my old mindset of "how can I not leave my desk ever?" which is subconsciously how I handled previous desk jobs. Little stuff, like using a printer and copier that are further away, hand delivering small packages to employees in other areas, taking the long route for ANY errand, standing up to sort paperwork on a counter instead of doing it at my desk & seated...that stuff all seems so minor but in the course of a week, month, and year, it does make a difference.
  • PikaKnight
    edited December 2015
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    oilphins wrote: »

The OP said she DOES have time, and is looking for suggestions on how to best USE that time.

No. That's not what she said at all. She wants workouts to do at work so she doesn't have to sacrifice 30 minutes of the rest of the time she's not at work. The point a few of us were saying was if she really wants to workout (not just do a walk around the hotel a few times during a break), then she needs to make it a priority. 20-45 minutes 3 days a week at the least isn't really "that" much time to give to one's fitness when you think of the bigger picture.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to find ways to be active....myself and another desk bound employee at my job have both gained over 50 pounds the last 2 years.....
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options

The OP said she DOES have time, and is looking for suggestions on how to best USE that time.[/quote]

No. That's not what she said at all. She wants workouts to do at work so she doesn't have to sacrifice 30 minutes of the rest of the time she's not at work. The point a few of us were saying was if she really wants to workout (not just do a walk around the hotel a few times during a break), then she needs to make it a priority. 20-45 minutes 3 days a week at the least isn't really "that" much time to give to one's fitness when you think of the bigger picture. [/quote]

Exactly Pika. Thank you and a great point. The time she wants to spend with her room mates, she could be doing some sort of exercise. There's no excuse.