Fear of failing

Options
I'm starting over after being gone from mfp for some time. I've hit an all time high of 330 and I'm discouraged that I have to lose 23 lbs just to get to my last starting weight.

Everything has become so hard. Even sleeping is hard now because my body is out of alignment if you will.

I have to succeed this time. For good

Replies

• FatMomma89
    FatMomma89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can do it. You just need support. Support makes everything easier and makes you accountable.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    try not to be discouraged. try determined. determined that you can and will do this, because you can. and there area lot of people here who have been thru what you have.

good luck :)
  • levanana
    levanana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We can do it. I am tired of starting over and over, to just quit halfway. Be strong, we can do it :)
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Agreed with others, support system is the best way. Only other overweight people can understand how it is to be there. We all got here and we need each other to get out of it. You really can do this!!!
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the fact that you're heavier than you were before. Try not to focus on the number of pounds you want to lose.
    Commit to 2 daily habits you'll accomplish for the week and stick to those (ie no sugary drinks and 2 desserts for the week). Attach a reward to it such as a new bottle of fingernail polish or something minor. Build on that each week.
    I too am bigger than when i first started and recognized focusing on that and wanting to lose 10000 lbs by next Monday just wasn't working. I shifted my focus to the behaviors and have been more successful there. Losing ounces each week (which adds up to pounds) is the added bonus.
    You can do this. You just have to make the decisions one at a time.
  • Lynette4321
    Lynette4321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement! I am tearing up. Thank you :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the fact that you're heavier than you were before. Try not to focus on the number of pounds you want to lose.
    Commit to 2 daily habits you'll accomplish for the week and stick to those (ie no sugary drinks and 2 desserts for the week). Attach a reward to it such as a new bottle of fingernail polish or something minor. Build on that each week.
    I too am bigger than when i first started and recognized focusing on that and wanting to lose 10000 lbs by next Monday just wasn't working. I shifted my focus to the behaviors and have been more successful there. Losing ounces each week (which adds up to pounds) is the added bonus.
    You can do this. You just have to make the decisions one at a time.

This is excellent! Good for you! OP, yes, success depends on behavioral changes. One at a time. Trying to do too much and overwhelming ourselves usually leads to burn-out and failure. Keep posting here and read the "Success Stories" thread regularly. Very inspiring and you will pick up lots of helpful ideas along the way.
  • banannerbelle
    banannerbelle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Take it step-wise and focus on the positive! This is all about loving yourself and living better, so be gentle and kind- you deserve that from yourself! Where you're going matters so much more than where you were and more than where you are: If you do more today than you did yesterday, you're on your way. Set small, achievable goals. Instead of "I need to lose 23 pounds" can you challenge yourself to lose a pound this week? Or to drink X ounces of water or eat X amount of veggies today? Can you get stronger, go faster? Focusing on habits, the way my body feels, and athletic goals helped me stay motivated. I also like to give myself rewards: for instance, when I finally ran 5k I got new headphones, when I hit a target weight, I bought a new swimsuit, etc.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Too often I'm a bit "all or nothing". But that's just not working for me, and I'm 14lbs heavier than the last time I was here too.

We don't need to be perfect. The little things do count, and every new habit we gain is going to add up in the end!

Go for the jugular first - find out what causes you the most calorie gain and figure out how to reduce it. Me - it was mindless eating. I now plan my days meals the night before. Means I don't have choices to make, and I just say no to everything not on my plan. If someone offers me cake and I want it, then I plan it for the day after. Let's see how that works out but a week in so good.
  • Cathscottage
    Cathscottage Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I really agree with all these comments. Ok I now can say that the weight loss journey is more about your head space first. You know when I have a problem about anything I break it down to more manageable pieces to work on. So when people say baby steps it means the same. So what I suggest is break you day into 4 sections and work each part. Tick it off on a journal. Get through morning with breakfast then log then get through next 4 hours and log and so on. Friend me if need to.