Strength Training at Home

Options
I am a on-again/off-again MFP user. I am refocused and trying to plan my workout & eating strategy. Traditionally I have been on Weight Watchers but currently I am looking into IIFYM (just in the researching stage now).

I've never "lifted weights" and I have done minimal machine strength training in my life (I'm 42 years old).

I really want to start lifting weights/strength training on a regular basis. I have downloaded Jamie Eason's LiveFit program and I plan to start tonight. We have a home gym that my teenage son uses. It is a Vectra and it looks similar to this photo: http://fitnessunlimited.net/fu-content/uploads/2015/10/VX38.jpg

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to use this machine to accomplish a significant program, or will I have to join a gym? In additioni to the machine, we have some dumbells.

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I've never tried her program, but it looks like she's mostly dumbbells focused, and what you can't do with dumbbells you should be able to do with the weight machine you have.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I would say that depends somewhat on the weight increment that your home gym allows for. There is a disadvantage with trying to follow a structured strength training program with some home gym machines. I would say a major reason is that some don't allow you to move up in small weight increments, whereas with free weights there is a lot more control with that. I have a weight machine similar to what you have, but when I was using it extensively I didn't bother trying to follow a structured program since I could only increase weight in 10 lb increments. Most programs are simply not designed for weight increases of that magnitude.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    No need to join a gym, unless you want to. Many of us have started home programs using dumbbells and eventually added barbells and racks for safety. What dumbbell weight range do you have? I use equipment like the Vectra when I travel and it's the only thing available in the hotel gyms. Free weights are better, but if you want to start with the Vectra, I don't see why not.
  • acarpenter
    acarpenter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Since I'm a beginner I will do what I can on the machine, and then once I advance I may join a gym.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    start off at home see what you like/don't like with your machine...then look at some gyms if you're not happy at home. I enjoy both, but find i'm a lot more productive at home not having to wait for equipment or worry about someone telling me i'm not doing it the way they do...etc.....
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You are fine with your home equipment. :)