Is LIKE button in MFP a Blessing or a Curse.

Options
Hi,

I joined MFP before using another account in 2012, that time we didn’t have Like button.
I was one of those who wanted to find like option in MFP.

I reached my goal that time after 6 months, and left MFP, And since beginning of 2014 till now I joined again with many accounts.

I feel that this (Like) button, has killed interaction and supportive community between MFP friends.

In my first membership I had a great group of friends, and I used to get a lot of useful comments about my updates ( Doing good, doing bad, need to drink water, need to reduce fat), the same, I used give them honest feedback.

But now a days I am getting only Likes ( I am not talking about my current account as it’s very new, but all my accounts from 2014 till now )……whatever I am doing I am getting Likes……there is no interaction with friends.

I am not sure, is it because of Like option, or I was with unique group of friends when I joined first time.

I need real supportive friends not (LIKE) friends.

Anyone ?

Replies

• ladylensherr
    ladylensherr Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, likes only are not that encouraging opposed to interactive conversations and communication with friends on here. New but have been here before..
  • AuthenticallyAmanda
    Options
    I dislike it. I prefer for more communication than someone just "Liking" something. But I will take that over nothing at all I guess.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    It's the like button. I have been here since before the like button and that change (from more meaningful comments to just receiving likes) happened almost immediately when the button came into being.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Getting "likes" is interaction. There is no fundamental difference between me clicking "like" and me typing "like" as a reply to your status update, which is what I did before the like button.

All I'm doing is indicating that I am watching you. Being watched is what makes me want to continue "being good".
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was a member before the like button and I commented daily.

The like button has made me very lazy. I am guilty of overusing it as opposed to making comments.

• KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wow, interesting point. Since I've joined I never realized there wasn't a "Like" option but that seems like it would be a totally different experience! I use "likes" frequently as an acknowledgement so a person knows I am supporting them... I think you are right, though. It kind of encourages laziness rather than interaction. But seeing someone write, "Good for you!" and, "Well done!" over and over could get old as well, haha. I am actually torn on this! I see good and bad to both!
  • ahanson80
    ahanson80 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Words of encouragement are far better than getting a "like" on something you post. I couldn't agree with you more! Keep up your good work :)
  • Attar_1
    Attar_1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies
  • 1meh
    1meh Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm going to friend you (if you'll accept). I love REAL interaction, and feel more accountable when someone comments, and love to comment on others. Recently fell off the wagon for a week, and avoided this place. Would love some real interaction, so it would be a community and not just a log. But please, please read all comments in an over excited motivated sort of way. Because this opportunity to get better is AWESOME! OK, OK, I'm odd.
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Now where is this "like" button?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's the like button. I have been here since before the like button and that change (from more meaningful comments to just receiving likes) happened almost immediately when the button came into being.

I would "like" this if I could.
    Likeception!
  • Attar_1
    Attar_1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1meh wrote: »
    I'm going to friend you (if you'll accept). I love REAL interaction, and feel more accountable when someone comments, and love to comment on others. Recently fell off the wagon for a week, and avoided this place. Would love some real interaction, so it would be a community and not just a log. But please, please read all comments in an over excited motivated sort of way. Because this opportunity to get better is AWESOME! OK, OK, I'm odd.

My pleasure ......
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I would "like" this if I could.
    Likeception!

Like B)
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I like the like button. I like it when I know my friends are paying attention, and I use it to show them I'm paying attention, too. I'll comment if I have something I feel is worth saying.
  • stephie007us
    stephie007us Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the like button is ok.. Means others are at least seeing your efforts. For some reason when I hit the like button it doesn't work half the time so I end up trying to leave comments anyhow lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I agree, its too fast to do,,, I want people that WANT to take the time to talk. so those people can add me!
    The button sucks/
    not a fan.
    nope.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have 44 friends and make an effort to write comments on the most active of them daily. We have a solid core of people who communicate beyond the like button. It was helped by one guy who said on the boards here that if we wanted to friend him he'd appreciate it, but he'd remove anyone who just used the like button all the time. I've made a much bigger effort to write comments since then. I remove people who don't write or like anything after a month. I'll take a like, as many do nothing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like the like button in the context of being able to 'like' comments on my updates, to acknowledge that I read them but don't necessarily need to reply to them
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Find more interactive friends!!
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i interact much more on threads. in fact, some folks i interact with the most.... aren't even in my list of friends! but for those friends on my list..... i DO use that like button. it certainly is time efficient. i'll occasionally leave a comment for those on my friend list that i do not "see" in the threads i frequent.