Has anyone tried ground bison?

Options
TinaM
TinaM Posts: 13
Ground bison has less than half the fat of beef. In fact, bison contains less fat than skinless chicken, turkey, or even halibut. Because it’s so lean, make sure you cook it for about a third less time than you would beef - otherwise it tends to be dry, which is the biggest issue people tend to have with it. If you’re a carnivore and think you don’t like bison, try it again.

Replies

• TinaM
    Options
    Ground bison has less than half the fat of beef. In fact, bison contains less fat than skinless chicken, turkey, or even halibut. Because it’s so lean, make sure you cook it for about a third less time than you would beef - otherwise it tends to be dry, which is the biggest issue people tend to have with it. If you’re a carnivore and think you don’t like bison, try it again.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    No Bison, but we do eat a lot of deer.
  • aahlight
    Options
    i have had beefalo...which is a mix...very lean...and it was great....
  • TinaM
    Options
    How do you cook it? My father-in-law keeps us supplied with deer, moose, elk, and I am always looking for ways to use them that don't require the wonderful sauces he makes (German-trained chef - dangerous to those of us with high cholesterol!!!)
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Options
    YUMMY!! I love bison burgers from the BBQ!!!! My Dad makes them and I even think they taste better than beef!
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    I just had my first buffalo burger last night! I was suprised how fast it cooked...very good for nights when I'm exhausted and want something quick, easy AND healthy. It was a little hard for me to take the first bite because I heard it taste more 'gamey' than beef. It was really good, though.

Has anyone tried makeing spaghetti sauce or anything else using ground bison? I'm wondering if it would be a good alternative to ground beef in most recipes.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I want to try Bison. From all I hear it's awesome (nutrition wise, and taste). Problem is, there's not a huge Bison market in New England, so you gotta look around a bit to find some.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I love ground bison, can find it at the regular grocery here in Kansas. To keep it juicy I add chopped mushrooms and blue cheese in the burger mixture and cook them on the grill - FABULOUS :)
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    Bison is a great, lean, beef alternative. Really Lean....and tasty too. I'm a true carnivore, so I'm picky, but Bison really fit the bill. You can also try Ostrich - dark meat, tasty and even lower in fat than Bison.
    I remember getting some from Sam's Club.
  • timbro
    timbro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat it about three times a month. I cannot taste the different from regular beef. It is a little more expensive than ground beef. It cooks fast I say about twice as fast as regular beef. I also like bison steaks I go to Kroger's. I am located in Cincinnati, Ohio

160907.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I want to try Bison. From all I hear it's awesome (nutrition wise, and taste). Problem is, there's not a huge Bison market in New England, so you gotta look around a bit to find some.
    maybe us new englanders can order it from online or something ive been looking for it and cant find it anywhere
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    I found it at Whole Foods (I live in Florida). It wasn't that expensive, either!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    There's only a couple of Whole foods stores in the Boston Area, and they're always packed with people (and lots of smelly, no deodorant wearing people I might add, ick!). So I tend to drive around them instead of too them. I'll try trader Joe's next time I go there, they might have it.

I'm sure I can order it. But I just feel weird about ordering meat by mail. It just seems wrong to me. Anyway, we have fish literally 2 hours old here, so It's not a huge concern, if I want something fresh, I just go down to the docks and buy some Fresh Cod or striped bass right from the boat captain. Usually 3 or 4 bucks for 2 lbs of the stuff. Can't beat that! (Plus I can get 2 lb lobsters for 5 bucks off the boat if I go at the right time, NICE!).
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I make meatloaf from it:

1-1/2 lb ground bison/buffalo
    1 packet mushroom and onion soup mix
    fresh mushrooms chopped fine w/ a chopper (instead of breadcrumbs)
    Egg beaters

Mix the soup mix, chopped mushrooms, and egg beaters together. I use enough egg beaters to hold it together, maybe 1/4 cup - and then fold that mixture into the ground meat by hand, mixing it up well - then pat into a sprayed or oiled bread loaf pan - bake in the oven at 350 for about 45 mins to an hour - YUM!

The only thing I notice is that sometimes what little fat it does have kind of settles to the top when cooking this way - so I drain it off or pat it off w/ a papertowel periodically during the cooking process.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I like the ground bison, I can get it from my Neighborhood Coop.

I like fatty cuts of meat better though.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the info everyone. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere in Barrie. I have bought Bison salami once at a fair and it was fantastic, but not exactly lean. I would love to try ground bison.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I live in Massachusetts, and find ground bison at Market Basket and at Stop & Shop. (maybe even shaws, I don't recall)

I have bought it a bunch of times for my dogs' raw diet, but decided to try it myself in chili. I found it a bit bland, and I am wondering if it was just the brand.

I think I would like to try it again, but maybe a different brand. I love Whole Foods
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm in CT, and I'm pretty sure they have it at Stop & Shop here, too.
  • vipersgirl28
    Options
    I am going to have to try it.

When I was looking for farmers markets in wisconsin and upper michigan I came across a bison farm that sells bison meat. If I like it, I might have to stock up on it.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. .... I have not had bison in 15 years. But I did get some deer meet last year, which is good too. I LOVE game! My cats do too!