My tiny success.

Options
First of all, it's fantastic seeing all these amazing achievements. But tonight...I'm proud, and I haven't lost a pound yet.
I suffer from Bipolar disorder, and things have been pretty bad lately. Depression has me in a choke hold. All I want to do is eat and sleep.
But today I didn't. Today I tracked, today I showered, I cleaned, I made my bed, I did work, and I even got in ten minutes worth of aerobics. I'm going to reward myself with an apple (which is still within my calories!) and get a good rest.

It's not always the big successes, sometimes even the small ones feel huge.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Good for you!! Everyday is a new and wonderful day!
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be a huge success to be a success. Good for you!
  • besdais
    besdais Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That is a HUGE success. Never sell yourself short! Congratulations :)
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a great start!
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Like others have said, just making any progress on your depression is a HUGE success! You're dealing a huge beast that likes to sap the energy and motivation right out of you, so making the gains you have is awesome. Keep going :)
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yay to you! :)
  • christyg74
    christyg74 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great job! I don't think that is tiny, any triumph over an illness is huge!!
  • kmleaf
    kmleaf Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you. Depression is a horrible disease that sucks you into a hole so deep that you can't see the light and I am no stranger to it.

A few years ago my morbidly obese son was so deep in depression that he was hospitalized. A lot has happened in his life since then but the main difference in his life is that he used MFP to track calories and lost over 260 lbs. He has been in maintenance mode for a few months now. He is a changed person both physically and mentally. He loves life and can't wait to start each new day and I can tell you he is a much kinder person.

His weight loss got me motivated and I started about 8 months ago. I am down 85 pounds (half way there) and I also am so much happier. Before I started losing I was in a functioning state of depression. I carried on through my day but honestly, I was just waiting to die. I started to feel better almost right away because I was fueling my body with good food instead of junk and it just keeps getting better.

I am hoping that you have the same kind of life altering experience.

I would also like to say that you didn't just have a small victory - it was huge! Keep up the good work and be kind to yourself.
  • lessmeginga
    lessmeginga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No success is tiny. They are all successes!!
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is not a tiny success. That is a huge success and a very valuable insight to have gained. Hold on to it!

Depression sucks! I've been there. When I was morbidly obese I would stay in bed all day with the covers over my head.

But healthy eating and vigorous exercise will help your depression more than anything. I got professional help and still utilize it when things get rough but nothing has helped as much as focusing on nutrition.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done indeed. That's right put a smile on my face :-)
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats one day at a time
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think your Amazing I have depression and know how it goes!
  • pippypuppy
    pippypuppy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No success is tiny. They are all successes!!

Agree
  • TCamardella
    TCamardella Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, all your kind words mean so much to me!
  • peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well done! So conscious and awake to life , Thank you.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Big successes are just a bunch of little successes.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    To some it may seem not a big succes, but really being able to do what you did despite the feeling is amazing. I am so happy that you managed to get yourself to do these things. It is such a huge step when depression takes a hold. I do not suffer them myself but I have seen it up close and those first steps are the most hardest to take.
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That's a huge success - well done you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!