Help me break through a plateau...

Options

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Ok, unlike most of the folks in this thread, I eat keto. I can tell you for a fact, if you aren't losing, then you need to eat less or be patient. Maybe both. You can be patient for the next 3-4 weeks and see if you're just stalled. If that's what it was, well no problem.

Or... Maybe, just maybe, you were one of those who could eat what they wanted and still lose as long as you were in keto. The operative word is "were" because apparently that isn't the case any longer. Regardless of what was, what is happening right now isn't working. For the overwhelming majority of people, a calorie deficit is what's required to lose weight. I'm willing to bet good money you're now one of those people even if you weren't before.

So, you can stand back and be patient, which is a perfectly acceptable option for now. 3 weeks is barely a stall and it's nowhere near a plateau. Or, you can take the advice to start tracking your food and pay attention to calories. Again, a perfectly acceptable option at this point. Your choice.

Good luck.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Last week sugar was compared to Satan. This week, anyone who is suggesting that someone who isn't losing weight eating low carbs is not at a calorie deficit is accused of starting a religious war.

Never change MFP. Never, ever change.

Oh and OP - I agree with the advice above. You either need to wait longer than three weeks to see if the stall is just part of the normal, non-linear patterns of weight loss, or you need to accurately track your calorie intake so you can determine if you need to make adjustments in order to start losing again. Alternatively, find time to increase your activity level.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    ZeroTX wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to disagree, as I've done various forms of various diets throughout my entire life, and believe me, my calorie intake while LOSING on low-carb is considerably in excess of my MFP goal calories. Now, if I went overboard, obviously I wouldn't lose weight, but not all calories are equal and your body needs dietary fat to work properly. Low-fat, high-sugar is bad for you no matter how few calories it adds up to.

Now I said I didn't want a religious war on my thread, so if there are any more critics of my method, I'll just delete the thread.

Wut? :|

• Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    zatotheck wrote: »
    1. Are you implementing carb refeeds? Every 7 to 10 days you need to amp your carbs (I would say 300g or so). As you body utilizes fat as an energy source it will begin trying to preserve your bodyfat. To keep this from happening a carb refeed is used.
  • Lucille4444
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm eating low carb, have never done this or heard of the above refeed advice.
  • Lucille4444
    Options
    I'm eating low carb, have never done this or heard of the above refeed advice.

It's interesting how you are answering the question as if you were the OP
    That was not intentional, somehow I filled in two areas with answers and they posted as two different replies.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    3 weeks. Doing low carb without counting, just eating lots of meat, veggies, and some fruit.

How much have you lost? ETA: I see you've lost over 60 pounds! Congratulations!

If you are not counting calories, then you have no idea of how much you are eating. Did you know it's wise to decrease your calorie intake with each ten pounds you lose? The reason is because as we lose weight our calorie needs decrease. This means you have to decrease the calories you consume, whether you literally calorie count or you don't.

Food type and diet type have nothing to do with weight loss, it's all about the calorie deficit. In other words, you can eat high carb, low carb, everything in sight, as long as you eat less calories than you burn. Diet and food types are preferences, unless you have a medical condition and your doctor said you need to eat a certain diet.

Since you are not literally counting your calories, then I'm going to say cut back just a little bit- maybe have less meat or nuts or whatever--and see what happens.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You aren't counting calories? That's the issue there. You can't be sure you're eating less than you burn just by going low carb. You have to ensure you're in a calorie deficit.

That's not the theory behind low-carb eating.... In extremely low-carb dieting, the basic theory is: your body burns fat to replace the carbohydrates you're not eating, to include good-for-you fats. Simplified version: not all calories are equal. Not interested in starting a religious war about low-carb dieting, though.

However, I will consider logging to see what my calorie intake is compared with my carb and protein intake.

Thanks all.

That may be the theory behind low carb, but the absolute truth is that you must eat less calories than you burn to lose weight. If that low carb theory were really true then there would be no people who have trouble losing on low carb.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    zatotheck wrote: »
    What you have here is a few people who don't understand the principles of ketogenic style dieting. Your hang up could be in a few places as to why your weight has stalled.
    1. Are you implementing carb refeeds? Every 7 to 10 days you need to amp your carbs (I would say 300g or so). As you body utilizes fat as an energy source it will begin trying to preserve your bodyfat. To keep this from happening a carb refeed is used.
    2. Are you taking in enough fat throughout the day?
    3. Are you eating often enough?

1. Please post a peer reviewed study backing up this claim. That's sounds bogus to me.
    2. Fat keeps you full longer, thus an excellent suggestion to getting that calorie deficit back.
    3. How often you eat has nothing to do with weight loss. It's about a calorie deficit
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Ok, unlike most of the folks in this thread, I eat keto. I can tell you for a fact, if you aren't losing, then you need to eat less or be patient. Maybe both. You can be patient for the next 3-4 weeks and see if you're just stalled. If that's what it was, well no problem.

Or... Maybe, just maybe, you were one of those who could eat what they wanted and still lose as long as you were in keto. The operative word is "were" because apparently that isn't the case any longer. Regardless of what was, what is happening right now isn't working. For the overwhelming majority of people, a calorie deficit is what's required to lose weight. I'm willing to bet good money you're now one of those people even if you weren't before.

So, you can stand back and be patient, which is a perfectly acceptable option for now. 3 weeks is barely a stall and it's nowhere near a plateau. Or, you can take the advice to start tracking your food and pay attention to calories. Again, a perfectly acceptable option at this point. Your choice.

Good luck.

Re the bold: interesting statement, but not accurate. There are no special snowflakes when it comes to weight loss. If you're not losing weight on any diet, you're not in a calorie deficit. It's not like the science applies in one weight loss situation and not the other. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    but not all calories are equal
    Not all foods are equally nutritious, but all calories ARE equal.

I had a similar experience to yours, though. I generally eat at a deficit (had a week or so where I ate at maintenance) and after losing slow but sure, the loss stopped. I just trusted that if I continued at a deficit, I had to lose. Sure enough, after a few weeks I started losing again.

Deficit eating=loss. But due to water weight, exercise, and all sorts of variables, the loss is not linear.

Well said.
  • SLLRunner
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Double post.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how low carb you go, if you eat above your maintenance calories you will put on weight, eat at maintenance calories and you'll maintain/plateau. Those fat calories add up very quickly.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb, cause I feel better and because it helps me keep on my food plan and eat to my nutritional macros. That being said to lose weight, I weigh and measure my food, and keep my calories below what I burn each day. I set my weight loss goal at 1/2 pound per week. Sometimes I stall out for a few weeks, and then I may lose 1 or 2 pounds in one week. For me, I have to make sure I'm not playing around with excess calories if I want to lose weight. Low carb is how I sustain that.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Low Carb or High carbs ( like me) doesnt matter when you dont have any medical issues with carbs

Its about calories in versus calories out.

95069916.png
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Good luck.

Re the bold: interesting statement, but not accurate. There are no special snowflakes when it comes to weight loss. If you're not losing weight on any diet, you're not in a calorie deficit. It's not like the science applies in one weight loss situation and not the other. ;)

Well, it can with special circumstances like a medical issue. However, it overwhelmingly doesn't apply and probably doesn't apply to OP, which was my point. I'm willing to bet real good money if OP had one of those special circumstances, OP wouldn't be posting what they posted. Whatever this person believes happened before, be that a medical issue, minor miracle, extra special snowflake with sugar on top, or virgin/chicken blood sacrifice, it isn't happening now. OP needs to get with the program now, because the past is just that.

And that other "theory of keto" BS just needs to go eat a keto donut and hush. Because... No. Just no.

Gotta say though... if that virgin/blood sacrifice thing works, someone *really* needs to study it and let us know. Although finding a virgin ain't as easy as it used to be, especially in my neck of the Redneck Woods. But I'm down with the chicken blood.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I eat high carbs and lose, however at the moment, I am exercising a LOT less now, and am maintaining. I know what I'm doing to myself, and have come to the conclusion that I probably have a lot less will power with food in the winter. As in, I'm not willing to eat less at the moment because I get HANGRY. Either way, I ate high carb and consistently lost when I was exercising. Now I'm in a much much smaller deficit, and I accept that. You should too :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Well, it can with special circumstances like a medical issue.
    No, it always applies. A medical condition might skew the number from what you'd expect to see without the condition, but if you're in a deficit you'll lose, in a surplus you'll gain, and at an equal amount you'll maintain.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I eat high carbs and lose, however at the moment, I am exercising a LOT less now, and am maintaining. I know what I'm doing to myself, and have come to the conclusion that I probably have a lot less will power with food in the winter. As in, I'm not willing to eat less at the moment because I get HANGRY. Either way, I ate high carb and consistently lost when I was exercising. Now I'm in a much much smaller deficit, and I accept that. You should too :)

This is me right now. I think it's the holidays for me. Where I used to be able to bank a nice amount of calories for the weekend... I'm now eating all of my daily calories. And sometimes plus some.

One of my friends said her goal is to not get fatter during the holidays... Lol. I think I'll live a little and adopt her thinking. For my peace of mind I'm not going to record my weight until after the new year. Lol.
  • SLLRunner
    edited December 2015
    Options

Good luck.

Well, it can with special circumstances like a medical issue. However, it overwhelmingly doesn't apply and probably doesn't apply to OP, which was my point. I'm willing to bet real good money if OP had one of those special circumstances, OP wouldn't be posting what they posted. Whatever this person believes happened before, be that a medical issue, minor miracle, extra special snowflake with sugar on top, or virgin/chicken blood sacrifice, it isn't happening now. OP needs to get with the program now, because the past is just that.

And that other "theory of keto" BS just needs to go eat a keto donut and hush. Because... No. Just no.

Gotta say though... if that virgin/blood sacrifice thing works, someone *really* needs to study it and let us know. Although finding a virgin ain't as easy as it used to be, especially in my neck of the Redneck Woods. But I'm down with the chicken blood.

With medical issues, a calorie deficit still applies, it's just that you have to work harder to find that number.

Now is most important....create that calorie deficit and the weight loss begins.