Not hungry

Options
Help! I know I need to eat on the weekends but I'm not hungry. I had two cups of coffee and then forced myself to eat oatmeal but bleh...nor hungry. During the week in always eating something healthy every few hours. I don't want to hinder my progress or mess up my metabolism. Should I force myself orc wait until I'm truly hungry?

Replies

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wait until you're hungry, unless of course that time never comes. Example- if you've been up from 8 am to 8 pm and you're 'not hungry', eat. If you're going a long time without eating like that (no matter the day) because you don't think you're really hungry, you're probably not really listening to your body (keep in mind I'm refering to an extreme window without eating, 8a-8p as an example). Many times I skip breakfast and have a late lunch because I'm not hungry. But I do eat later in the day when I do get hungry and meet my calorie goal.
  • sarahstrunk1
    sarahstrunk1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! !!!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    No problem. :)
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should just not eat all day and then get to the end of the day and finally decide it's time to eat. It's a fact that your body needs food whether you're hungry or not, so yes, you should eat. I know what it feels like to have to force yourself to eat. In fact, I'm doing it now because I know my body doesn't need the food any less today than any other day. I just lack appetite. Can you think of any reason this is happening? Like something that's different about the weekends?
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No, don't skip because just a few days of not eating can slow your metabolism down. If you don't want a large meal, have something smaller.
  • laceyjo1992
    laceyjo1992 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have this issue, too! I realize at 6pm that I haven't eaten all day, except half a cup of coffee (which is my norm) at 6am.
    My lack of appetite stems from medicine, however, I'm in the process of getting healthy to wean myself off of synthetic means of healthcare and use natural alternatives.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It is ok to skip or to eat one meal a day. Look at "intermittent fasting." :star::star:

Or look at an overall average for the week. Some days calories might be low and some days high. If it evens out over the course of seven days, you are losing weight at a good pace. :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    You're essentially fasting. It does not mess up your metabolism. As long as your weekly average is within range, you can eat or not whenever you want. Try this group for some great info on Intermittent Fasting... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

By the by, I do keto with 17:7 IF. My eating window is 12-7p each day.
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, I don't eat breakfast and I don't start eating until after my workout around noon.. I still get all my calories in and then I don't eat after 6pm...i switched to black tea in the morning and drink my calorie infused coffee in the evening before 6 (just one cup)
    I was eating eating breakfast, but tbt, it kinda makes me gag to eat in the morning..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Help! I know I need to eat on the weekends but I'm not hungry. I had two cups of coffee and then forced myself to eat oatmeal but bleh...nor hungry. During the week in always eating something healthy every few hours. I don't want to hinder my progress or mess up my metabolism. Should I force myself orc wait until I'm truly hungry?

Meal/nutrient timing is irrelevant, eat whenever you feel like it. It's not going to hinder your progress or mess up your metabolism. Read the first post in this thread for a lot of good information: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820577/meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol