Work-from-Home/Stay-at-Home and Staying Motivated

Options
Hey, All--
I'm waffling with my newfound lack of structure.
I recently relocated across the country, and I had a job that required a lot of travel and enabled me to telecommute, so the days I was at home would find me checking work email at 7am and still in my PJs at 3pm.
So much for structure or boundaries!

Now that my job has been terminated, I have even more time and even less structure. And I'm still having some difficulty getting motivated to get moving.
I'm sure part of that is my discomfort from not having a routine, coupled with a bit of depression regarding my termination and having to find a new job--as well as being new to the area and not having a support system or social group (I'm hitting a sporting Meetup tomorrow and have upcoming job interviews, so it's not all doom and gloom). Still, I can't seem to get myself moving, even though I know exercise will help me, physically and emotionally.

I'd love some feedback about how you've created and sustained routines, or other ideas about how you stay motivated.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I found when I work from home I have to make a schedule like I was in the office. First thing to do when you wake up is get dressed and do a short warm up exercise (yoga, dance or just some dynamic stretches) then have breakfast. This sets me in the right mind frame to get things done.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Like you, I don't have a specific schedule I need to keep. I take advantage of that by following my body's natural rhythm much more than I was able to before. I sleep when I'm tired, I eat when I'm hungry, etc. But I still need structure of some sort, after years of not having any.

I figure out what has to get done each day, and make sure I get those things done before I go to bed for the night. For example, today I'm meeting friends for lunch, and I'm going to a holiday party in the evening. Aside from that I need to go for a 1-mile walk, and I need to walk at least 5000 steps. I'm also prepping for company coming for the weekend so I need to do some cooking and cleaning. It'll all get done before I go to bed tonight.

Meetups are a great way to get a community of like-minded friends.

Make friends here on MFP also, because the support here is so valuable!
  • Emmie10414
    Emmie10414 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I work from home every day, have 3 teenage kids and a husband....I try to set the routine so that I get up and get right in the shower like I have somewhere to go. Then I will sit and work at my computer. For "breakfast" I have one of my meal replacement shakes. (I found if I tried to make breakfast I ate too much) Some days if I'm not hungry I skip breakfast. Then at lunchtime I do my exercises from the computer directly...I use YouTube to hit online videos. I like the Biggest Loser Power Walk but I'm a big girl and those push me. Then I start to make dinner when the kids get home from school and we eat pretty early. Routine is everything ....if something messes up my routine I find it's easier for me to just "Grab something" rather than think about what I'm putting in my body.